Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bledisloe deal to shore-up ARU

vCash

Bledisloe deal to shore-up ARU

THE ARU's capacity to generate much-needed income will be boosted by a new long-term deal which will guarantee a Bledisloe Cup Test in Sydney for the next 10 years.

This year, the sole Wallabies-All Blacks Test in Australia will be at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, which will cost the ARU an estimated $5 million in revenue.

But under a new arrangement, Australian rugby's biggest game will be staged at ANZ Stadium every year for the next decade.

Read more: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226045238666

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Hmmm, dodgy reporting alert.... If they are losing $16m due to cancellation of all the June Tests and the reduced Tri-Nations tournament, it is unlikely that the 30k seat difference between Suncorp and ANZ is costing $5M all by itself. More like that is the cost of having a sole Bledisloe test this year, but hey, anything to make it sound somehow reasonable for NSW to have the Bledisloe cup matches as their sole preserve for a decade!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Hmmm, dodgy reporting alert.... If they are losing $16m due to cancellation of all the June Tests and the reduced Tri-Nations tournament, it is unlikely that the 30k seat difference between Suncorp and ANZ is costing $5M all by itself. More like that is the cost of having a sole Bledisloe test this year, but hey, anything to make it sound somehow reasonable for NSW to have the Bledisloe cup matches as their sole preserve for a decade!

Would not be surprised if there aren't incentives being paid to the ARU to have those games in Sydney that would form part of that $5M too- think it's a similar story for the T20 cricket and S15 matches they play out there.

That said- it works out an extra 161 bucks per body- the fact that the view from the back of ANZ sucks doesn't stop them from charging an arm and a leg for the nosebleed tickets. Between the 31k extra bodies and presumably extra corporate suites, it's probably a reasonable estimate, assuming you fill ANZ for the game.

Last edited by Swee_82; 27-04-11 at 14:52.

vCash
    I wonder if this means they'll be looking to schedule a 3rd Bledisloe Cup match after the 4 Nations so that Brisbane gets one every couple of years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Would not be surprised if there aren't incentives being paid to the ARU to have those games in Sydney that would form part of that $5M too- think it's a similar story for the T20 cricket and S15 matches they play out there.

That said- it works out an extra 161 bucks per body- the fact that the view from the back of ANZ sucks doesn't stop them from charging an arm and a leg for the nosebleed tickets. Between the 31k extra bodies and presumably extra corporate suites, it's probably a reasonable estimate, assuming you fill ANZ for the game.
    the big money difference is the corporate facilities, ANZ has significantly more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    the big money difference is the corporate facilities, ANZ has significantly more
    You're taking this surprisingly well...

vCash
    IMAGINE what life would be like if you had nothing to look forward to. The Australian Rugby Union clearly has.

So it was that at 5.58pm on Easter Monday, it despatched a missive intended to get us positively quivering in anticipation. "Media alert," the email trumpeted. "Australian Rugby Union to announce major decision on the future of rugby in Australia."

I confess my initial response was somewhat muted. Now, if the ARU was going to announce a major decision on the future of, say Aussie rules or soccer in Australia, that might have got me going. Nothing like a little turf war to liven things up.

Read more: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226047225807

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    You're taking this surprisingly well...
    I'm not

But I'm hardly surprised that the ARU pursues $$$ over the fortress that Suncorp is becoming for the Wallabies (see picture on the left).

ANZ might hold more people but its sight lines are average, its in the middle of nowhere, has no pub culture nearby and has bugger all atmosphere.

Well done JO'N

Rookie
    vCash
    The ARU needs to the money.

Rookie
    vCash

It's all the fault of those Eastern Staters

Quote Originally Posted by Weebie View Post
    The ARU needs to the money.
    And this leaves Perth with what?

Presumably a decade of tours by Samoa, or Tonga, or Fiji, or the Cherry/Brave Blossoms, or someone's unenthusiastic "A" team, starting in 2012?

If it's all about the money, then Perth isn't going to see any of the tri- (soon to be four-) nations; not when the ARU can stuff over 50,000 bums into seats at Etihad, ANZ and Suncorp (and even AAMI in Adelaide!) at top dollar, while sick little Subi might make it to about 42,000 punters - provided the Perth ticket buyers will accept paying their dollars for awful views from a lot of the seats.

vCash
    i think we will get the argie's, saffers and a touring team on a 3 year rotational basis

vCash
    I just read on sportal that there will still be 3 Bledisloe tests

Can't post link due to being on mobile
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I just read on sportal that there will still be 3 Bledisloe tests

Can't post link due to being on mobile
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I assume that's another grab for more money

I'd stake $50 that the plan is one in Sydney each year and Melbourne and Brisbane share the second one on an alternating basis.

Perth will get the hairy backs in the years Brisbane has the Bled (otherwise they'll play that in Qld) and some weak as piss warm up test in the other years.

We won't see the Argies for a while, because they will be considered not up to the standard initially. That'll end up on the eastern seaboard, most likely Melbourne "because they love their sport" (at least while we're winning) and they won't need to force them to make the road trip.

All in all, without the potential of filling at least 60,000 seats, we won't see a decent test now that Victoria is a Super Rugby state!

C'mon the

vCash
    that makes a lot of sense actually.
    another reason for me to move east

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    another reason for me to move east
    Do you need a hand packing?!?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast