Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wobber to be put on notice?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wobber to be put on notice?

'Saders pluck Thorne out of retirement

25th April 2011 07:58

Former All Blacks captain Reuben Thorne is set to make a return to professional rugby for the injury-plagued Crusaders.

The Crusaders second row stocks have been decimated as Brad Thorn has been ruled out of the upcoming three-week tour of Perth, Cape Town and Bloemfontein and fellow All Blacks lock Sam Whitelock still recovering from an ankle injury.

With another locking option, Joe Wheeler, who made his debut at number eight against the Highlanders, is also in doubt for the Force match because of a thigh/hip injury, Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder has made an emergency call to his old team-mate.

Thorne has not appeared in Super Rugby since the last of his record 129 matches for the 'Saders back in 2009. After a stint in Japan, the 36-year-old has been coaching at his High School Old Boys' club in Christchurch alongside former team-mate Aaron Mauger and playing the occasion match when the side was short of numbers.

Despite the lack of recent top flight rugby, Blackadder says the Test veteran is keen to help out his former side by making a comeback.

"He was as keen as mustard," Blackadder told The Press.

"He would never let us down and is not the type of guy that would tell us he was ready if he wasn't right.

"He's played at the highest level, he is physically fit. We have no worries there - he is mentally tough, which is exactly probably what we need at the moment."

Thorne is now likely to amongst the replacements when the Crusaders face the Western Force in Perth this weekend as a back up to veteran Chris Jack and rookie Luke Romano in the second row.

A call has yet to be made on Richie McCaw's fitness but it seems likely that Dan Carter will be absent for another two weeks with a hamstring tear..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sounds like good news all round. Feels odd to be facing a team with more injury worries than ourselves!

vCash
    Why doesn't Blackadder suit up?

He's on the trip anyway....

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Crusaders have the lowest winning rate against the Force than any other Superugby team (40%) It has to be time to give this awesome team a small hiding.
    We dont the foot down and its painful......lets have 15 Sheehans out there and belt them around while the going is good.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed TLH, at home and without a few of their frontliners there is never going to be a better opportunity to sink the slipper.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The Crusaders stiull have nightmares of Nathan Charles.

vCash
    Can't wait for this one, gonna be a cracker, get the bigs hits in early to let them know what we are about, it will seem like a home game for the Crusaders with all the Kiwis here, hopefully they will be crying into their beer pots again !

vCash
    Yeah that was sweeeeet last year.

I wonder whether that will affect the gate this time around, those Kiwis appear to be pretty fickle, they love to come and watch the Aussies lose, but don't seem to be keen to watch the Kiwis lose!

Last edited by GIGS20; 26-04-11 at 09:14.
    C'mon the

vCash
    Yeah will be full of them, had verbals last year with one of them cos I spilt beer over his poofy shoes, my mate reminded me that there were about 30 of them on the grass behind us lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Batto View Post
    Yeah will be full of them, had verbals last year with one of them cos I spilt beer over his poofy shoes, my mate reminded me that there were about 30 of them on the grass behind us lol
    He was only annoyed because they were losing.......he probably only knew Dan Carter and Richie McCaw!

Had good friends come to the match and sit in the cheap seats. We had some good natured banter before the game, both saying each other's team was going to lose (me with little confidence) and made an appointment for after the siren. They were gone with ten minutes to go and these were lifelong Cantabrians............like I said, those Kiwis don't like to lose!

C'mon the

vCash
    lol, hopefully then they will start walking out at half time, If we can get some combinations going in the back line, I reckon we will be home and dry.
    Go The Force !!!

vCash
    I'll wait and see the team list before I make a prediction. If they don't rush McCaw Williams and Freuan back you'd have to think they're underestimating us again, that hasn't gone well for them in the past!

C'mon the

vCash
    The tide has turned with the Crusaders, you wouldn't think that they would underestimate us any more, surely they are not that cocky! , they are no longer the top team in NZ.
    Bring it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps keep this chorus in the war chest for if they start leaving enmasse:

Or if you have a strong enough stomach:

Last edited by Burgs; 26-04-11 at 10:25.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    We had some good natured banter before the game, ..........like I said, those Kiwis don't like to lose!
    .........and boy can they be murder when they win. Unfortunately we can't make the game. Daughter of a Kiwi mate is celebrating her 21st. Will be surrounded by about 90% kiwis, the club where they're holding it has Fox and our tickets will be used by a couple more Kiwis. C'mon team make our night.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast