Thread: Waratahs court Mike Phillips and Dwayne Peel

vCash

Waratahs court Mike Phillips and Dwayne Peel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...n/13176435.stm

New South Wales Waratahs are interested in signing Welsh scrum-halves Mike Phillips and Dwayne Peel, BBC Sport Wales understands.

The Australian Super Rugby team are seeking a replacement for Wallaby scrum-half Luke Burgess, who will join Toulouse after the World Cup.

Phillips, 28, is contracted to the Ospreys until 2014 but has been given permission to seek a new club.

Fellow British and Irish Lion Peel, 29, has another year on his Sale contract.

A third British player, England back-row James Haskell has also been linked with a move down under from current side, French giants Stade Francais.

Under current rules, all Australian sides are able to recruit at least two foreign players, although Melbourne have dispensation to sign up to 10 as the Rebels try to establish themselves in their inaugral season.

As such it would be highly unlikely for the Waratahs to sign both Peel and Phillips, with the two players seemingly in competition for the nine jersey - as they have been in the past for the Scarlets and Wales.

Former Wales fly-half Jonathan Davies says he is not sure whether Phillips, currently the first-choice Wales scrum-half who has been linked with several French clubs, would suit a move to Australia.

"I don't know where he's going to go," Davies admitted.

"It's a bit strange when you ask to get released and you haven't got a club lined up, but I'm sure that Mike and his agent have got something up their sleeve.

"Flying back from France to do a Wales training session is not too bad. Flying back from Sydney is a little bit different I think."

Danny Cipriani, Michael Lipman and Wales number eight Gareth Delve have all impressed with their performances for fledgling Australia side Melbourne Rebels, perhaps paving the way for more British players to sign for southern hemisphere teams.

Phillips won his 51st international cap in Wales' Six Nations defeat in France and is contracted to the Ospreys until 2014 after signing a new big-money deal in March 2010.

The 6ft 3in former Scarlet joined the Ospreys from Cardiff Blues in April 2007 for a deal thought to be worth £700,000.

Peel has been capped 76 times by his country and joined Sale from the Scarlets in the summer of 2008, signing a new two-year deal with the Manchester club in January 2010.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ewen McKenzie said that agents for top UK and French players have been sniffing around the Reds as well - seems like its not only Southern Hemisphere players looking to move after the World Cup.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Doesn't say much for the next generation depth if the immediate reaction of the Australian team with the biggest talent pool is to look overseas.
    I guess that's what happens when you don't have a strong development structure, with say, a third tier...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It is interesting since the Force seem to be pretty happy with all 4 of our scrum halves. I guess they aren't in favor with the mucky mucks in Sydney, Brett Sheehan, who is obviously the first choice couldn't crack it for bench time over there, but is surely worth a look as a Wallaby squad member, since all the other options are link men, rather than a tough little bugger who helps/drives the forwards.

C'mon the

vCash
    Anyone know how Josh Holmes has been doing in club rugby? I thought he was capable but hasnt been given much of a sniff since leaving the brumbies. Brendon mckibbon hasnt been given much of a crack off the bench either. What a shame.

While we're on about halfbacks I think the Reds are very lucky to have a guy like lucas who can cover 9,10, 11/14 and 15. Richard Kingi looks to be heading that direction as well.

What about our halfbacks? I know Stannard and Sheehan have both played 10 and I think we missed an oppurtunity to have Stannard and sheehan alternate between 9 and 10 and use JOC at 12. Does anybody know what other positions Swanepoel can cover? Turner def has the speed to cover the wings.

vCash
    Swanepoel is a 10 as well i believe he was playing there in the Shute Shield last year?

vCash
    Get Phillips here, Peel can stay over there.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Phillips would fit the Luke Burgess mould better than Peel would. Luke Burgess isn't the best thing for the Tahs backs though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    There was an article in the West today saying that the Waratahs aren't looking to recruit any foreign players for next year.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    'TAHS KNOCK BACK MICHALAK

eRugbynews.com

The Waratahs have no interest in signing former French pivot Frederic Michalak, says coach Chris Hickey.
    In fact, they'd rather recruit a schoolboy rookie than an international playmaker.
    Michalak confirmed today he will leave French club Toulouse at the end of the season after failing to agree to terms with the Top 14 outfit.
    "I hope to bounce back elsewhere, in France or abroad," he said.
    Michalak is married to an Australian and has been strongly linked with a move to the 'Tahs or the Melbourne Rebels.
    But Hickey said the Sydneysiders were not keen on securing the 28-year-old as a replacement for the Rebels-bound Kurtley Beale.
    "We haven't spoken to anybody called Freddy Michalak," he said. "In terms of Kurtley's move, we're not looking to recruit a high-profile five-eighth or fullback.
    "We've still got Berrick Barnes, Daniel Halangahu with us. We're fortunate that (Wallabies utility) Adam Ashley-Cooper will be on board for the next couple of years and he can obviously cover that 15 spot as well." (Had I missed that announcement while away?)
    He said the franchise's preference was to always contract within Australia.
    "In terms of a 10, we'd like to identify a good young player – whether it's someone coming out of school or someone around about 19, 20 age-group that we could do some work with and develop over the next couple of seasons."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The Tahs probaly have 5-6 real prospects right under their noses for 9 and 10 but as usual will let them slip away because they didn't attend Joeys or some other gay school

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies Horatio