Thread: Speedster Kemp in Force’s spotlight

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Speedster Kemp in Force’s spotlight

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    April 15, 2011, 6:29 am

The Western Force intend to talk directly to Brisbane Broncos winger Denan Kemp who has signed a short-term contract with the Australian Rugby Union and will join the Wallabies' International Rugby Board Sevens squad.

The Force had preliminary talks with Kemp's management this week after the league flyer expressed an interest in moving to Perth.

They will now study video of his NRL games and monitor his progress as a Sevens player.

Kemp said he had agreed to terms with the ARU, would be heading to Sydney on Sunday to join the Sevens squad and would be having talks with a number of clubs.

Kemp was a promising junior soccer player before committing to rugby league. He is blessed with blistering pace and has a good kicking game.

"We're in talks with other Super clubs at the moment to get a head start on the next year. I'm pretty excited," he said.

"It would be pretty awesome if I could put on an Australian jersey."

Kemp, 23, was devastated last week when the Melbourne Rebels made a last-minute decision not to offer him a contract after he successfully completed a series of medical tests.

The Broncos had even prepared his release papers.

Kemp has played 32 games for the Broncos, but has not featured this year.

He starred for the club in 2008 before a season with the Warriors.

After struggling with his form last year, it was revealed late in the campaign that he had been playing with broken ribs.

He suffered serious injuries playing against the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium last March, scans revealing he had three broken ribs, displaced another and had a punctured lung.

But it was not until just before the end of the season that another scan revealed that the ribs had never repaired and he had been playing with them broken and separated.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...e-s-spotlight/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    gee, tough nut that one, playing league with broken and seperated ribs!

Champion
    vCash
    we dont want Denan. he's a fringe player for the Broncos and will be only a squad member for any Super Rugby team... would prefer to see the $$$ spent on a local player who can step up to the plate.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd say give him a shot if he comes cheap.

Otherwise it would be a waste of money. He looks pretty talented but there is no guarantee that that would translate into union. Plus looks suspiciously like he has a boganesque 'soft-mo' haircut.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Sevens is a good stepping stone for league players who want to convert. If he's interested in playing rugby, I'd be interested in the Force taking a punt on him, provided he's cheap.

Ryan Cross showed the way league players should come to union - he's been OK. Sonny Bill has been outstanding for the Crusaders. Some of them can make the switch. But I'd not pay a premium for an unproven league player - we don't need the 'marquee name' to draw a crowd here.

vCash
    I thought the force were going to look at his sevens form and decide then.......sounds like a good way to play it

C'mon the