Thread: 'I'm looking forward to getting some game time with the Marlins'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

'I'm looking forward to getting some game time with the Marlins'

RUGBY UNION
    5 JUL 11 @ 04:50PM BY JON GEDDES RUGBY UNION

The Marlins have recruited goalkicking fly-half Willie Ripia from the Western Force. Photo: Simon Chillingworth.

MANLY Marlins’ premiership hopes have received a huge kickalong with the acquisition of Western Force superboot Willie Ripia for the rest of the season.

The new recruit demonstrated his prowess by landing a 45m pressure penalty goal in the 78th minute to secure the Force a thrilling 27-24 win over the Melbourne Rebels in their final Super game of the season.

And the former New Zealand under-19 and under-21 representative revealed that playing for Manly was a stepping stone in his ultimate goal of representing the Wallabies.

Besides his good general play Ripia’s kicking skills are a big plus for Manly because it is an area of the game where Manly have struggled this season.

“I definitely like to goalkick and after playing rugby for so long it is something I am passionate about,” Ripia told the Manly Daily.

Ripia earned 30 Super Rugby caps with the Hurricanes - where he kicked 30 conversions and 29 penalties - prior to joining the Force this season.

He was picked up by by the Perth-based side this year as a foreign development player, which meant he was eligible to play for Australia.

“I still had big ambitions to play Super 15 Rugby and for the Wallabies if I ever get the chance and I am good enough,” Ripia said.

“If the ARU hadn’t given me the OK I’d probably be pushing on further to Japan or France.

“Now I’m looking forward to getting some game time with the Marlins and I’ve heard we have a few tough games coming up.”

Ripia attended his first training session on Tuesday night and will make his debut for the club at “Death Valley” on Saturday.

He will come off the bench when Manly plays Parramatta at Granville Park with young Ben Seymour starting.

Manly coach Tim Lane said picking up a player with Ripia’s Super rugby experience would add another dimension to the team.

“And we won’t be paying him any extra money, he will be getting the same as everyone else.”

Lane has been talking to Seymour for a couple of weeks about Ripia’s imminent arrival.

“Ben has done a good job and I won’t just discard him,” Lane said.

“But he is only young and still has plenty to learn.”

It was through the Marlins’ connection at the Force through Tevita Metuisela, Tim Fairbrother and Mark Swanepoel that led Ripia to join Manly.

“They are quite passionate men when it comes to club rugby and even last year they were in my ear saying ‘you have to come and play for the Marlins’,” Ripia said.

And Ripia revealed that when he toured Australia with the Maori side in 2008 he had stayed in Manly.

“I decided if came back to Sydney Manly was the place that I wanted to live,” he said.

“Fortunately the Force gave me the opportunity to come over here and play and Manly also gave me an opportunity.”

After arriving back in town on Monday night Ripia got a look at his new home ground of Manly Oval on Tuesday.

It is danger game for the Marlins against a Parramatta side who have been big improvers this season.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au...h-the-marlins/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I would have thought he would be heading back to Taranaki for the off season, from a development perspective would have been a lot better for him and ultimately us, NPC far stronger than Sydney club comp, this is backward step for him.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Cool I'm looking forward to seeing him play shute shield... great stuff...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Isn't he here because he is a development player? I would have thought that means he needs to stay, otherwise he isn't doing the residency thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Isn't he here because he is a development player? I would have thought that means he needs to stay, otherwise he isn't doing the residency thing.

I think you are correct, Andy.