Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Match Preview: Western Force vs NSW Waratahs

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Match Preview: Western Force vs NSW Waratahs

After last weekend’s heartbreak, this game couldn’t come fast enough. Hmmm déjà-vu. Must be some kind of glitch in the Matrix. Or maybe just one of the occupational hazards of being a Force fan. Either way, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else on Saturday night than watching the Aussie derby between the Force and the NSW Waratahs at nib Stadium.

Neither team has particularly impressed in the last few weeks as injuries in both camps have exposed a bit of a soft underbelly. Regardless of the negatives, there is plenty to get excited about in this weekend’s clash. For starters there is the return of Willie Ripia to the Force 10 jumper. A pre-season foot injury has kept him out of our first six games in what is becoming a bit of a continuing trend for the Force. Let’s hope he has a blinder. If not just that, we should also get amped for a showdown with Waratahs, a team we share a great rivalry with. Although I have to say that these days I think the Brumbies have taken the place of the Tahs as archrivals and most hated team from a Force perspective. Anyway, back to the game...

Head to Head
    While it can be argued Force vs Waratahs games have been fairly dour games, the scoreline has almost always ensured the game remained a thriller. After a blow-out in favour of the Waratahs in 2006, the last four Waratahs/Force fixtures have been settled by 5 points or less. The most memorable of these was the 2007 edition, when Lote Tuqiri showed his true bogan colours in shoving teammate Sam Norton-Knight in the back for taking a quick tap when a penalty could’ve broken the deadlock and won the game. It wasn’t until 2009 that the Force tasted victory over the Waratahs, and what a sweet victory it was, with the 15-14 away win securing the Australian ‘Grand Slam’ for the Force. Last year’s game was definitely the most uninspiring in the two team’s history. Zero line-breaks were made as the Waratahs managed to come away with 14-10 victory. It came down to the wire, however, as the Force were camped on the Tah’s line for a number of phases before a turnover at the death.

The Key Match-Ups
    There are some exciting match-ups across the board in this one. The one with the biggest bearing on the match will have to be the face-off between Nathan Sharpe and Dean Mumm. Both Wallabies. Both captains of their respective teams. Both line-out generals. Does Mumm have the leadership skills to rally his troops to victory? Will the Waratahs line-out hold up under scrutiny? The line-out is probably the Force’s biggest strength coming into this one and Sharpie will need to assert our dominance to make up for the enormous pressure we are likely to face in the scrums.

The other key match-up in the pack has got to be the Ben McCalman vs Wycliff Palu duel. These two will go hammer and tongs all night (unless Palu’s gamey knee buckles again) in an attempt to show Robbie D that their style is a better fit for the Wallabies; Aggression, mobility and work rate vs sheer brute force. We had better hope Palu has a poor game because the go forward he provides, particularly off the back of the scrum, could make the difference between the Tahs flying or floundering.

Amongst the backs you can’t look past Brett Sheehan vs Luke Burgess. Sheehan will ensure that this becomes an absolute scrap out. He no doubt has a bit of an axe to grind as the arrival of Burgess has seen Sheehan pushed out of both the Waratahs starting jersey and the Wallabies squad. Let’s hope that Sheehan legitimately lets him know that he hasn’t forgotten.

Predicted Result
    I doubt this one will be a particularly flashy game. Both teams will be more than satisfied with a win and both teams seem unlikely to lift out of the malaise that has gripped both teams in these last few weeks. I am pretty desperate for a Force win, and I’m not sure how well the fans would take another loss, but I can’t see this one going our way. I don’t think Ripia will immediately gel with his backline and that will lead to the Waratahs being let off on more than one occasion. The Tahs meanwhile won’t play well either, however if the game stays in the same vein as previous Force/Tahs affairs, they can milk scrum penalties all night and win it in a close one. Tahs by 5.

Teams

Force
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Richard Brown
    7. Jono Jenkins
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Willie Ripia
    11. Cameron Shepherd
    12. Gene Fairbanks
    13. Nick Cummins
    14. David Smith
    15. James O’Connor

Reserves
    16. Nathan Charles
    17. Kieran Longbottom
    18. Tom Hockings
    19. Tevita Metuisela
    20. James Stannard
    21. Rory Sidey
    22. Pat Dellit

Waratahs
    1. Benn Robinson
    2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
    3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Kane Douglas
    5. Dean Mumm (c)
    6. Ben Mowen
    7. Pat McCutcheon
    8. Wycliff Palu
    9. Luke Burgess
    10. Kurtley Beale
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Tom Carter
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Atieli Pakalani
    15. Lachlan Turner

Reserves
    16. Damien Fitzpatrick
    17. Al Baxter
    18. Dave Dennis
    19. Sitaleki Timani
    20. Chris Alcock
    21. Brendan McKibbin
    22. Daniel Halangahu

Referee
    Garratt Williamson (New Zealand)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    I have a good feeling about this game EWF by 10 points

vCash
    i too have a good feeling about this game... and thats not often these days.. and the reason why i decided not to watch the Stormers game... i have a feeling we'll come right, will start well early and finally find our ruthlesness... why
    cause the Tahs are the one team that i think the Force are not afraid of.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I have a feeling that Mumm's bumbling leadership may be their undoing. We just need to take a step back, slow down, not knock the ball on and let them implode rather than imploding ourselves.

Senior Player
    vCash
    A player you haven't mentioned, James, is More Tofu on my Plate Nau. The hooker rarely has an off game, and gives his all, though sometimes prone to injury in the process. If he has a blinder, and throws straight, not only will we lose, we will lose bruised.

vCash
    It's definitely going to be close for the bulk of the game. If Ripia can kick Beale around the park, then O'Conner can cause havoc out wide. Maybe we can sneak a win here.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    A player you haven't mentioned, James, is More Tofu on my Plate Nau. The hooker rarely has an off game, and gives his all, though sometimes prone to injury in the process. If he has a blinder, and throws straight, not only will we lose, we will lose bruised.
    TPN didn't fit comfortably into my key matchup paradigm . I don't think he is fully fit. But you are right, he is a key man for the Tahs. I was kind of hoping Fitzpatrick would play. Partly because he was abominable against the Cheetahs and partly because it would be good to see him come up against Charles.

vCash
    i'm calling james out as a troll. 5 pt loss indead..
    LOL

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    A friendly troll. The way I figure it is that if I am always wrong about these things then if I predict a loss we'll win it. I have been completely wrong about every other game the Force has played this season. So unless the Tahs win by 25 (God forbid!) we might just sneak this one.

Willie Ripia drop goal anyone?

Prospect
    vCash

Ripia

If Willie is healthy and plays to his full potential, we may win this one.
    I remember him making some amazing plays when he played for the Hurricanes.

Let's go Willie!! Let's go Force!!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by logophile View Post
    If Willie is healthy and plays to his full potential, we may win this one.
    I remember him making some amazing plays when he played for the Hurricanes.

Let's go Willie!! Let's go Force!!
    And hopefully like other Hurricanes discards (Waldrom brothers, Fruen et al.) he'll excel outside Wellington.

I reckon those limp-wristed cockroaches will do a number on us though

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder if Freo winning is a good or bad omen. Can't be too often that both the Dockers and the Force win.

vCash
    i was thinking the same thing... ill take it as a good omen!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Me too.

vCash
    Western force look like theyre asleep atm. Hope they wake up during halftime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast