Thread: Wallabies mull moving O'Connor to inside-centre

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Whoever we had was good enough to beat your mob last year IIRC

That's not saying much

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I am not sure JOC would get much ball with Cooper at 10. So why put a key attacker in that role. Cooper kicks, cut-out passes and runs with the ball a sh*tload more than passing to 12. So, JOC at 12 in attack is a waste, he'd be spending more time chasing kicks, clearing out 10 or 13's tackle. What a Waste.

Play him at 15, take the Cooper cut out pass, inside pass, counter attack - has to be the best at that in the game...look at the try he scored last Saturday.

You need a solid reliable journeyman at 12 with Cooper at 10 - Barnes was/is good there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    I am not sure JOC would get much ball with Cooper at 10. So why put a key attacker in that role. Cooper kicks, cut-out passes and runs with the ball a sh*tload more than passing to 12. So, JOC at 12 in attack is a waste, he'd be spending more time chasing kicks, clearing out 10 or 13's tackle. What a Waste.

Play him at 15, take the Cooper cut out pass, inside pass, counter attack - has to be the best at that in the game...look at the try he scored last Saturday.

You need a solid reliable journeyman at 12 with Cooper at 10 - Barnes was/is good there.
    Until you factor in the cut out pass from Genia....that's one big factor in Cooper being so effective in attack, he knows he's not getting the ball unless there's something on!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    I agree GIGS20, but is it worth putting JOC at 12 for that to happen, maybe 4 or 5 times in a game? he could still take that ball from 15, maybe even a bit deeper.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

I think that would be the argument for having a 100kg beast at inside centre. Personally, I'd like to see AAC at 12 with Ioane at 13. Beale and O'Connor can stay at 14 and 15. I don't think you lose much in a non-ball playing 12 with those two. I'd have chosen Scotty Staniforth at 12 before AAC but alas that option isn't available anymore. . By the way, how is the top secret Spanner cloning program going?

It was a bit of the same story with Giteau- Larkham's long range pass usually missing him.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    AAC off the bench for Barnes at 12 at the 50 minute mark. Don't like Digby at 13, he'll drop too many cut out passes from Cooper. He has a bad habit of having a peek a split second before ball is in hand.

Stirlo at 13 for me. Defensively rock solid in the toughest position and has the bulk to run at Fruen, Nonu and SBW.

vCash
    Barnes reminds me of Betty on the Snickers advert. Him and Rob Horne should probably take up tiddly winks or something.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Stirlo at 13 for me. Defensively rock solid in the toughest position and has the bulk to run at Fruen, Nonu and SBW.
    Too old and too slow. You can't bank on him being fit for the world cup and even if he is he hasn't yet shown that he has enough to offer IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Too old and too slow. You can't bank on him being fit for the world cup and even if he is he hasn't yet shown that he has enough to offer IMO.
    I know what you're saying James, I too thought he was past it at the end of last year (guess the Brumbies did too) but I'm starting to wonder, if he can hold his fitness together, he might be worth a shot!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You definitely wouldn't rule the guy out. I'd like to see one or two epic performances this year before I'm convinced, you know the stuff he used to pull for the Wallabies- running full steam onto the ball, making the gain line and sucking in 2-3 defenders. I'd only be looking at him as a 12 though.

I like what Haji was saying about leadership, definitely a cool head is needed. We haven't really had much of a backline leader since Mortlock left.

Senior Player
    vCash

Agreed. I think there is the belief that JOC is wasted on the wing, that he won't see enough ball. But when you look at how Shane Williams plays for Wales, he goes looking for the ball, and is often the first receiver, and even picking and driving! I think we have such good exponents in Cooper at 10, and Beale at 15, that a wing spot for JOC is not a bad call. 2 playmakers at 12 hasn't really worked for us in the past. Even the mighty Crusaders are straying from that formula. In AAC, Horne, Stirlo and even Barnes we have good defensive and straight running options in the centres.

vCash
    Kinda agree with you beejay... JoC is bestsuited on the wing if we keep beale and cooper in the starting line up. This year is really a lottery.. 3 years ago it was a different story we barely had 1 option in each position.. Now we have 2 or 4 in some spots.. A good place to be
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2