Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Rising v Western Force ‘A’

Champion
    vCash

Thumbs up Rebel Rising v Western Force ‘A’

At long last we have our future getting some exposure....:
    Rebel Rising v Western Force ‘A’

By Rebels Media Unit

Rebel Rising are once again kick-starting a rugby-filled weekend this Friday night at AAMI Park. The club’s second-string are taking on a powerful looking ‘A’ side from the Western Force in the curtain raiser to the RaboDirect Rebels Super Rugby clash against the Hurricanes.

The fixture is the first opportunity to see Wallaby hooker, Adam Freier, run out in club colours, as he makes his way back into the game following a long spell out through injury. Other first-team squad members on show include Tom Chamberlain and Luke Jones.

The clash is the first of a double-header involving the ‘A’ sides of Australia’s most recent entrants to Super Rugby, with the second instalment prefacing the Force hosting the Rebels in Perth next week. These fixtures mark the culmination of the Rebel Rugby programme for this cycle, with the Rebels squad a reflection of the players who have most impressed the coaching staff throughout the year.

Encouragingly, a significant proportion of the squad is drawn from Victorian representatives. A further example of how the creation of the Rebels has allowed the best local talent a platform to progress in elite rugby.

Among this group is the appropriately named Melbourne Lesa, a young hooker of distinction and a great example of the benefit of Super Rugby in Victoria.

Now 21, Lesa was a standout throughout his junior career, representing Victoria at age-group level, including a victorious Australian Schools Division II Championship. His performances there earned him a place in the Combined States team, which in turn progressed into participating in the ARU National Talent Squad.

On conclusion of his studies, Lesa’s pathway had no natural progression. Victoria was then without a Super Rugby side and a Memorandum of Understanding with the Brumbies meant the cream of Victorian juniors were directed to Canberra to continue their elite development. Lesa was one of the youngsters involved in this arrangement and he earned himself an Academy spot with the Brumbies. Here, he set records for his power and strength in the gym and looked on course to develop into a Super Rugby player of some repute.

Fortunately for the Rebels, once Lesa was aware of the development of Super Rugby in the state, he took the opportunity to return to Victoria and continue his development in the Rebel Rugby programme. He has subsequently been part of the preseason training squad with the Rebels and also a leading figure within Rebel Rising.

Rebel Rugby Manager, Josh Philpot, has acclaimed Lesa’s impact in the Rebel Rising group, confidently asserting he has proven himself one of the leading figures pushing for senior selection – even accounting for the professional squad members he is competing alongside.

“He is a player of the future. Certainly someone we will continue to invest in, and want to invest in,” Philpot explained. “He will now be part of the formal Rebel Rugby elite group – which is effectively the best dozen rugby players in the state – that we will consistently work with throughout the year.”

“Equally as important is his role off-field. The focus in Rebel Rugby on the Rebels Creed is very important and Melbourne has been very good in that regard, including mentoring his younger cousin, Ephraim, who is also in the Rebel Rugby system.” Philpot said. “Certainly from a leadership point of view, Melbourne is very much a leader, shows complete excellence and is very respectful.”

Lesa, a polite, understated, yet effervescent character, is just happy to be back home and playing rugby. “Having Rebel Rugby in Melbourne is great for rugby in Victoria. It used to be that everyone had to leave to try and get on in the game but now we’ve got a team with boys coming from all over the country. They bring their different views on the game with them and that will improve the standard throughout the state,” he said while preparing for Friday’s game.

“I grew up here, so to be back home is great. You definitely have a little bit more pride in your performance when you represent your home team,” he said.

“Hopefully I’ll keep doing what I’m doing and get a spot in the Rebels.”

It is possible the club’s first home-grown Super Rugby Rebel will not only be from Melbourne, but called Melbourne.

Make sure you get to AAMI Park from 5pm this Friday and see the future of Victorian rugby in action.

Match Details

Rebel Rising v Western Force Academy

Friday March 25, 5.05pm

AAMI Park

Rebel Rising

1. Eddie Aholelei, 2. Adam Freier (c), 3. Thomas Kolo, 4. Tom Broughton, 5. Richard Stanford, 6. Tom Chamberlain, 7. Hugh Perrett, 8. Luke Jones, 9. Lua Vailoaloa, 10. Toby Browne (vc), 11. Tasesa Lalotoa, 12. Chris Slade, 13. Cam Mitchell, 14. Tomu Mataika, 15. Alex Rokobaro

Reserves: 16. Elliott Bull, 17. Melbourne Lesa, 18. Andrew Brown, 19. Bryan Scott, 20. Dave Hardisty, 21. Dan Kelly, 22. Taofiga Sa

Coach: Josh Philpot and Matt Cockbain

Western Force ‘A’

1. Gary Neugebauer, 2. Siliva Siliva, 3. Cruz Ah-Nau, 4. Phoenix Battye, 5. Nick Haining, 6. Ted Postal, 7. Will Brock (c), 8. Anare Koliavu, 9. Tyler Berry, 10. Mark Bartholomeusz (vc), 11. Chance Peni, 12. Juan Pretorius, 13. Henari Veratau, 14. Heremaia Te Aute, 15. Isaiah Mosese

Reserves: 16. Stefan Cooper, 17. Ashley Riley, 18. Ollie Hoskins, 19. Kieran Stringer 20. Bruce Smith-Wright, 21. Ethan Carlisle, 22. Dave Cloete, 23. Mike Denton

Coach: Andrew Scotney

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Henari Veratau", wow there's a blast from the past (not age, just been awhile), wonder where he has been.

Righto Clublanders, what's the good oil on the non-Squad players?

Well done Brocky too

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    a few names there i didnt know so i looked them up for all our benefit:

Stephan Cooper:

Position: Hooker
    Club: Wanneroo RFC
    School: Wesley College

Nick Haining
    Usual Position: No8
    Club: Cottesloe RFC

Anare Koliavu

Usual Position No8
    Club: Palmyra RFC

Tyler berry

Position: Scrum Half
    Club: Wanneroo RFC
    School: Wesley College

Chance Peni
    http://web2.aranmore.wa.edu.au/ourne...BF_Program.jpg
    only pic i can find of him (sitting front)
    Position: Wing
    Club: Wests Subiaco RFC
    School: Aranmore

Juan Pretorius
    Position: Inside Centre
    Club: Nedlands RFC

Henari Veratau

Position: Outside Centre
    Club: Norths, Sydney
    School: Scots College
    Reading up on this guy sounds like a real journeyman.. has some skeletons in his closet too but that aside good to see him back on the Park

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah well done Will, a nice birthday prezzie......do ya feel good

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Veratau played some good Rugby for the Reds in the mid 2000's.
    Another PNG Red with Genia.

Anare Koliavu looks like he eats little children for breakfast in that shot!
    I'm sure he is a decent chap though

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    im not a fan of Veratau, the good was outweighed by the bad more often then not.. maybe he has improved after his time overseas though

vCash
    Well stealing a taxi is always going to be difficult to live down
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    Razor or Anare is a great ambassador for the game, leads by example and has played at Pallies for a while now. Brocky will showonce again how myopic Australian Rugby can be, he should be playing Super Rugby. Tyler Berry - one of the hardest workers around, also an absolute gentleman, totally unafraid, Stefan Cooper is an interesting selection, I thought they are a few better hookers in club rugby, but I am not a selector, his younger brother will be one to watch.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    1. Gary Neugebauer,
    2. Siliva Siliva,
    3. Cruz Ah-Nau,
    4. Phoenix Battye

Will be a good glimpse at the potential Force future.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Who says the Force has a future?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Razor or Anare is a great ambassador for the game, leads by example and has played at Pallies for a while now. Brocky will showonce again how myopic Australian Rugby can be, he should be playing Super Rugby. Tyler Berry - one of the hardest workers around, also an absolute gentleman, totally unafraid, Stefan Cooper is an interesting selection, I thought they are a few better hookers in club rugby, but I am not a selector, his younger brother will be one to watch.
    A few good players went through Wesley a few years back... good to see some making the grade after school.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My bosses son playing in the rebels team. Will try and update scores as her gets them.

Champion
    vCash
    EWF "A" went down 30-24

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry....I was getting pissed on a beach at the time.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Who says the Force has a future?
    Me.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast