Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shepherd eyeing off World Cup berth

vCash

Shepherd eyeing off World Cup berth

In-form Western Force full-back Cameron Shepherd hopes an injury-free Super Rugby season will help propel him back into Wallabies contention in time for the World Cup.

Shepherd has endured a frustrating run since breaking his leg playing for the Wallabies in 2008, with the added complication of a drink-driving charge in December.

But the 26-year-old has bounced back in 2011, starring for the Force at full-back in a timely return to form.

Shepherd, who has nine Test caps, believes he will only get better with more matches under his belt.

And at this stage his focus is exclusively with the Force.

"While you're playing the game, you want to play at the top level, but I've got a long way to go before I would push for a spot in the squad for the World Cup," Shepherd said.

"I just want to get better every game and make sure we have success with the Force first.

"If you look at anyone who's had long periods out of the game, it's quite hard to re-adapt to the flow and speed.

"It's one thing that I definitely struggled with when I came back.

"But I'm getting better at it now and I'm confident that if I can stay fit and healthy, I've got a lot to offer to the Force and the Wallabies."

The Force looked to be headed for another defeat last week in Johannesburg when trailing the Lions after being reduced to 14 men for 10 minutes when James O'Connor was sin-binned.

But an inventive chip and chase by Shepherd set up a try to winger Alfi Mafi that turned the match, which the Force won 27-15.

Shepherd hopes to play a key role in Saturday's Cape Town clash with the unbeaten Stormers, one of the form teams of the competition after disposing of the Bulls last week.

The Force are quietly confident of causing an upset, with Shepherd saying new coach Richard Graham has made quite an impact.

"He's a very passionate guy and that's spilled over into the players," Shepherd said.

"The culture's changed a lot here. We work hard for each other and are accountable for each other at training.

"He's got a really good mind for the game.

"He does a massive amount of analysis on other teams.

"I've really enjoyed playing in the structure we're playing in and a lot of that is down to Richard and what he's come up with."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Shepherd keen on more Wallaby glory

Cameron Shepherd hopes he can do enough to earn a Wallabies recall in time for the World Cup.

AAP © Enlarge photo

In-form Western Force fullback Cameron Shepherd hopes an injury-free Super Rugby season will help propel him back into Wallabies contention in time for the World Cup.

Shepherd has endured a frustrating run since breaking his leg playing for the Wallabies in 2008, with the added complication of a drink-driving charge in December.

But the 26-year-old has bounced back in 2011, starring for the Force at fullback in a timely return to form.

Shepherd, who has nine Test caps, believes he'll only get better with more matches under his belt.

And at this stage his focus is exclusively with the Force.

"While you're playing the game, you want to play at the top level, but I've got a long way to go before I would push for a spot in the squad for the World Cup," he said.

"I just want to get better every game and make sure we have success with the Force first.

"If you look at anyone who's had long periods out of the game, it's quite hard to re-adapt to the flow and speed.

"It's one thing that I definitely struggled with when I came back.

"But I'm getting better at it now and I'm confident that if I can stay fit and healthy, I've got a lot to offer to the Force and the Wallabies."

The Force looked to be headed for another defeat last week in Johannesburg when trailing the Lions after being reduced to 14 men.

But an inventive chip and chase by Shepherd set up a try to winger Alfi Mafi that turned the match.

Shepherd hopes to play a key role in Saturday's Cape Town clash with the unbeaten Stormers, one of the form teams of the competition after disposing of the Bulls last week.

The Force are quietly confident of causing an upset, with Shepherd saying new coach Richard Graham has made quite an impact.

"He's a very passionate guy and that's spilled over into the players," Shepherd said.

"The culture's changed a lot here. We work hard for each other and are accountable for each other at training.

"He's gota really good mind for the game.

"He does a massive amount of analysis on other teams.
    "I've really enjoyed playing in the structure we're playing in and a lot of that is down to Richard and what he's come up with."

Follow thewest.com.au on Twitter

vCash
    He is certainly looking the goods at the moment, if he keeps it up he will be a good bench spot for the Wallabies, unlikely to dispose the starting incumbents at the moment

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Seem to remember similar articles in 2007
    Good luck Shep, God knows you are due some!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Apart from his finishing ability, the points of difference he brings to the 15 jersey are his size and long tactical kicking. He's the closest thing we've got to Chris Latham. The way he stood in the tackle and offloaded to Mafi was very "Latho". Nothing wrong with that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    In a few weeks you'll probably see him hit his straps. He tackles and kicks a lot better than Drew Mitchell and is arguably a better finisher. That cut-out pass for the Cummins try was a very nice touch. He'd also take the pressure off of Adam Ashley-Cooper as being a good crashball option off the set-piece.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think his greatest asset all things compared though is he is a "smart" player.
    He seems to always have time and vision in what he does, or at least attempts to do. Many players jump at the first single phase option without considering the consequences, that rarely happens with Shep.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That cut-out pass for the Cummins try was a very nice touch.
    I think his greatest asset all things compared though is he is a "smart" player.
    He seems to always have time and vision in what he does
    I remeber posting here after one of our fly half crises, there have been too many to recall which, but Shep must have been fit at the time, that I reckon he'd make a good fist of 10. I still do.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Sheps is the classic 15 in the model of Latham and Andre Joubert
    Ive always enjoyed watching him play, like a rolls royce as opposed to the Bugatti's and Ferrari's like Beale and OConnor

vCash
    I would liken Kurtley more to a HSV Commodore...

vCash
    With that 'moustache' a 70's one
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I remeber posting here after one of our fly half crises, there have been too many to recall which, but Shep must have been fit at the time, that I reckon he'd make a good fist of 10. I still do.
    I would like to see him at 12, not entirely convinced with him at 10.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I have thought so for a long time too. He can kick, pass and run, and has good vision. He would just need to learn to operate with fractionally less time.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I hope he makes it, but I'd say he still has some way to go to get back to his best. The Shep I look forward to seeing again was capable of creating something out of nothing, bursting through the line. We've yet to really see that so far, and it is perhaps linked to him still looking at least a yard down on speed. Still early days yet though, hopefully...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I would like to see him at 12, not entirely convinced with him at 10.
    You're right James. I was talking in the context of the times when we couldn't keep a recognised 10 on the park and the thinking was that JOC shouldn't be thrust into the job. It's a different story now so it's not on the menu. But at the time I thought it should have been tried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast