Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The latest globally significant calamity

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The latest globally significant calamity

Perth pub owner collapses under mountain of debt

STUART McKINNON, The West Australian, March 22, 2011, 10:52 am

Embattled Perth pub owner Compass Hotel Group has collapsed under more than $100 million in debt.

The listed company, which operates a portfolio of 12 licensed premises in WA including the Albion Hotel, the Carine Glades Tavern, the Greenwood Hotel and the Herdsman Lake Tavern, will continue to operate in the short term.

Receiver Taylor Woodings said the company's premises remained high quality assets and would continue to operate despite its appointment.

"The group's employees, including staff working at the hotels and bottle shops will not be impacted by the appointment of receivers," the company said.

Quentin Olde, of Taylor Woodings, said receivers would assess the group's financial position, its assets and investigate opportunities for their sale.

"We will maintain communication with key stakeholders, including employees, throughout this process and provide more detail to these stakeholders as it becomes available," he said.

Compass had been in breach of its loan covenants with St George since June 2008 after buying a slew of Perth pubs at the height of the market.

Late last year, Compass said difficult trading conditions were making it difficult for it to service its debt.

Last month, the company posted a $3.4 million first-half loss and wrote down the value of its portfolio by a further $5.1 million.

The group has blamed a host of factors for its woes, from the global financial crisis to aggressive competition from cut-price liquor chains.

More recently it pointed to a migration of patrons to "newer and more modern establishments", adding that its pubs were in need of "extensive refurbishments" for which it couldn't afford to pay.

Other Compass pubs include the Belmont Tavern, Brighton Hotel, Gosnells Hotel, Kalamunda Hotel, Lakers Tavern, Peel Alehouse, Peninsula Tavern and Princess Road Tavern.

Compass shares, which have been suspended, last changed hands for 1.5 cents, giving it a market capitalisation of about $2 million.

Compass points to Perth pub sales

Russell Quinn, Business Reporter From: PerthNow March 22, 2011 11:33AM

RECEIVERS appointed to the Compass Hotel Group, which owns and operates 12 pubs across Perth, have received early interest from parties keen to purchase the venues.
    Quentin Olde, Ian Francis and Michael Ryan of Taylor Woodings have been appointed receivers and managers of Compass and its 100 per cent owned operating subsidiaries, and Primary Compass as the responsible entity of Compass Hotel Group Trust.

“As Receivers, we will now assess the financial position of the Group and its assets, and will investigate opportunities for their sale in the future,” Mr Olde said.

A spokesperson for Taylor Woodings confirmed with PerthNow that there had already been a number of parties that had registered their interest in purchasing the assets.

While the receivers would not be drawn on where the interest was coming from it is understood that Woolworths' Australian Leisure & Hospitality Group, which already owns 288 pubs and clubs nationwide, would be one of the parties to throw their hat in the ring.

The spokesperson indicated that the sale of the venues was very likely, and that the receivers were investigating all potential options for sale including splitting or grouping the assets together for possible acquisition.

The appointment of receivers follows last month's reporting of a first-half net loss of $3.38 million, a turnaround from the previous year’s net profit of $1.77 million.

The loss, Compass said, included an impairment cost of $5.1 million, due to lower valuations on its properties during 2010 when the Perth market declined, and fair value profit on financial instruments of $3.3 million.

At the time Compass said that it was in talks with its bank St George to reduce its “high” debt to a more sustainable level. St George is currently owed in excess of $100 million.

And the company indicated it would embark on a refurbishment program to counter competition from the increasing number of pubs and bars across Perth.

The publicly-listed Compass owns and operates 12 of Perth’s favourite watering holes including the Greenwood Hotel, Princess Road Tavern, Carine Glades Tavern, Peninsula Tavern and Herdsman Lake Tavern in the northern suburbs.

As well as the Gosnells Hotel, Belmont Tavern, Lakers Tavern, Brighton Hotel and Peel Alehouse to the south, the Kalamunda Hotel in the Perth hills and Cottesloe’s Albion Hotel.

“The Group’s hotels and bottle shops will continue to operate on a ‘business-as-usual’ basis,” Mr Olde said.

“Individually, they are high quality assets and operationally remain unaffected by our appointment."

He said the company’s employees, including staff working at the hotels and bottle shops, will not be impacted by the appointment of Taylor Woodings.

“We will maintain communication with key stakeholders, including employees, throughout this process and will provide more detail to these stakeholders as it becomes available," he said.

Pubs as listed on Company website:

Kalamunda Hotel, Kalamunda
    Carine Glades Tavern, Duncraig
    Princess Rd Tavern, Balga
    Peninsula Tavern, Maylands
    Brighton Hotel, Mandurah
    Peel Alehouse, Halls Head
    Belmont Tavern, Cloverdale
    Herdsman Lake Tavern, Wembley
    Albion Hotel, Cottesloe
    Gosnells Hotel, Gosnells
    Greenwood Hotel, Greenwood
    Lakers Tavern, Thornlie

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    The publicly-listed Compass owns and operates 12 of Perth’s favourite watering holes including the Princess Road Tavern,
    WTF!!!

Favourite for it's ugly women and bar brawls.

vCash
    0H N0EZ
    not the brighton...

that place is a shithole anyway.
    it'd be a good thing if it was gone. the cops wouldnt have to leave the toucan or players to keep the white trash in check on the weekends.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    well,I dont frequent any of them
    so I suppose it's my fault they have gone down the gurglar

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    About the only one that stands out to me is the Albion, good for a feed and late night sport.

We were once there during the Soccer World Cup and at 1am it was "you are either in or out" and they had a lock in through to the end of the match. Didn't care much for the sport (was actually a good match from memory) but saved having to shift our ten or so mates to another location so was great

I'm sure someone will pick that one up for sure, a very faithful and very rich local daily clientel.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Been on shaky ground for a while. Over-stretched at the height of the commercial property boom. My bet is that Woolies will come in & pick these up for a song as they already own a number of 'hotels' around Perth (useful for bottle shop sales on a Sunday).
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    The Belmont Tavern is an absolute dive. Peninsula I've been in a couple of times. Kinda cheapish and quite old school.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Bahahahahahahaha Gosnells Hotel and Lakers Tavern - both are shit holes
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    0H N0EZ
    not the brighton...

that place is a shithole anyway.
    it'd be a good thing if it was gone. the cops wouldnt have to leave the toucan or players to keep the white trash in check on the weekends.
    Sound like you know your way around the late night underbelly of Mandurah, Jono. Do rangas count as white trash?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rangas are the money shot of white trash Shasta

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The Greenwood will be easy to sell and must rate as one of the jewels. The restaurant's always chokers and the sports bar likewise.

vCash
    Didn't the Peninsula tavern in Maylands burn down years ago?

I used to drink at the old Belmont Tavern, now that was a hole.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I hear it's picked up remarkably since you withdrew your patronage ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I worked in mandurah for a while... What can I say. And I'm not white trash!

I have a fulltine job. No kids. No record. And I don't have a ute or a v8
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    you have a tatt
    thats enough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast