Thread: Michael Harris

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Michael Harris

Pretty impressed by this rooster this evening.
    The only bummer is that I read on a NZ chat forum that the Force approached him before the Force did...
    Will be watching on with interest.

Michael Harris

Flyhalf
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 96kg
    Date Of Birth: 08/07/1988
    Place of Birth: North Harbour, NZ
    Rugby Career
    Senior Club: TBC
    Stats
    Provincial Rugby Caps: 2
    Provincial Rugby Debut: Feb 2011 v NSW Waratahs, Anz Stadium, Sydney
    Super Rugby Caps: 2
    Super Rugby Debut: Feb 2011 v NSW Waratahs, Anz Stadium, Sydney

Michael was signed to the Reds on a two-year deal after impressing coach Ewen McKenzie during his four seasons playing for North Harbour in the National Provincial Rugby competition. A talented goalkicker, Michael has the versatility to play in range of backline positions for the Reds.

Despite having already played for the New Zealand U20s, Michael is Wallaby eligible by way of an Australian-born Grandmother.

Reds dominate Rebels in record breaking victory

3/18/2011, By Reds Media Unit

The St.George Reds continued their winning streak in Brisbane by scoring their seventh consecutive win at Suncorp Stadium with a record breaking 53-3 display against the Melbourne Rebels.

The winning score of 53 points is the highest points total ever recorded by the Reds in Super Rugby while the winning margin of 50 is also their largest.

The victory eclipsed the previous points scoring record set in 1996 - a 52-16 win over the Crusaders - while their previous highest winning margin was 40 points, coming against Western Force last season.

The dominant seven try effort has the Reds walking away with the maximum five competition points, which elevates them to the top of the Australian Super Rugby conference ladder as of tonight.

The win is the Reds third in four games played this season with previous victories over the Brumbies and Force.

The Reds, who secured their first bonus point of the season with their fourth try coming in the 51st minute, returned to their attacking best despite the wet conditions.

Replacement Mike Harris was dynamic coming on late in the match scoring two tries. He was one of six played who added five pointers, the others being Anthony Faingaa, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Scott Higginbotham, Ben Daley and Luke Morahan.

The Reds spent the past fortnight working hard on their game and it showed in the opening 40 minutes when they scored three tries to take a comfortable 25-3 lead into the sheds.

Lock Adam Wallace-Harrison was excellent in his first starting appearance of the season, applying enormous pressure at the lineout and continually disrupting the Rebels ball.

Flanker Beau Robinson was a standout in a positive all round display at the breakdown, an area the squad has worked hard on and made major improvements on since the beginning of the season.

The Reds opened the scoring through centre Anthony Faingaa thanks to some magic from flyhalf Quade Cooper, who commenced the movement by recovering his own high ball before throwing a beautiful spiral cut out to Scott Higginbotham.

Captain Will Genia spoke during the week about the importance of attacking and he remained true to his word when he twice knocked back a penalty goal to continue pressuring the Rebels line.

The attitude was rewarded with Wallace-Harrison touching down to extend the Reds lead to 15-3 midway through the opening stanza.

The Rebels responded and buried themselves deep in Reds territory but some nice counter-attack, a Cooper penalty goal and a nice blindside scrum move saw the Reds score their third try of the first half.

Ben Daley opened the scoring for the Reds in the second half before receiving a well deserved rest soon after, replaced by Greg Holmes, who impressed in his time on the field.

The Reds continued to pile on the points late in the match with two tries going to new recruit Mike Harris and the other going to winger Luke Morahan.

Radike Samo, after battling a broken finger throughout the opening part of the season, made his first Super Rugby appearance for the year when he entered the field later in the match.

St.George Reds 53 (2 Mike Harris, Anthony Faingaa, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Scott Higginbotham, Ben Daley, Luke Morahan tries, Quade Cooper 5 con, 2 pens, Mike Harris con) def Melbourne Rebels 3 (Danny Cipriani pen). Crowd: 22031.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Force approached Harris before the NZ (Auckland specifically) Super squads were finalized. He wanted a crack in his home country. The Reds approached him a few months after that. I think we were still keen when Auckland didn't work out but I think we also had Ripia pretty much sown up by then.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Looks like we got the arse end of that negotiation then

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He was good when he came on......i remember heaps were kiwis were spewing he crossed the ditch. now i know why.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I stopped watching at about half-time so I didn't see him but to be fair anyone would've looked good coming on for the Reds with the way the Rebels were playing.

I think Mortlock kissed goodbye his Wallaby aspirations.

vCash
    Lets all take a deep breathe, last night he come onto the pitch against a wounded, tiring and disheartened Rebels outfit, the second try was a kick through and the first he passed some lazy forwards and even lazier back, in all truth the jury still out on this one, also how come no NZ franchise grabbed him.

For my two cents worth a fit again tried and tested Ripia is a much better proposition at this stage of their careers.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Assuming we SEE a fit Willie Ripia

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    how come no NZ franchise grabbed him.
    Lots of 10s running around NZ rugby at the moment. Harris may be a talent but he doesn't have any experience. The Blues have Brett and McAlister, the Chiefs have Donald and Delany, the Hurricanes have Cruden and Renata, the Crusaders have Carter and Bleyendaal, while the Highlanders have Slade, Tony Brown again, maybe Robbie Robinson, and that other young guy who played in their season opener.

Hard to find room in all of that. Lots of Kiwis go to Brisbane because the weather is 'better' there.

Last edited by James; 19-03-11 at 12:55. Reason: idiocy

vCash
    his a real talent and RugbyWA should be pretty dissapointed they didn't pick him up, IMO his a better proposition of the two kiwi import 5/8's..

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    his a real talent and RugbyWA should be pretty dissapointed they didn't pick him up, IMO his a better proposition of the two kiwi import 5/8's..
    yeah,you are right TOCC,but we tried our best to get him

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That's a bit skewed by the fact that Ripia hasn't played yet. As good as Harris may be, he has zero experience at Super rugby level aside from a few minutes against a team that had run out of fight.

I am disappointed we didn't get them both. And Quade Cooper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    However, with Kyle Godwin coming onto the scene in the next few years, we don't really need another young flyhalf like that. I can see Ripia with a bit of experience could be more useful for Godwin's development and such. When his ankle isn't strapped up and he's playing/training.

In saying that, I'm glowing green with jealousy, what a quality player!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry