Force deal tops a whirlwind week for Sefanaia

Rugby Union15 Mar 11 @ 01:25pm by Andrew Prentice rugby union

Marlins centre Brian Sefanaia won’t forget the past fortnight in a hurry.

The long-term Australian Sevens representative became a father for the first time 13 days ago and last week was offered a short-term deal with the Western Force.

The arrival of his son Don wasn’t exactly conventional.

It was left to the Marlins centre to deliver the baby at his Dee Why apartment with the help of ambulance officers over the phone.

“I was pretty nervous. I just made sure I did what the professionals told me and tried to keep (wife) Monica calm,” Sefanaia said.

“We didn’t have time to get to the hospital, it all just happened so fast.

“It has taken some adjusting but I am loving it.”

After flying to Perth on Sunday ahead of a few days of training, the 25-year-old heads to South Africa for Super Rugby clashes against the Lions and Stormers later this month.

“I got a call (from coach Richard Graham) to see if I was available,” Sefanaia said.

“Even though they have a few injuries at the moment, it came out of the blue.

“It has always been a goal of mine to play Super 15 rugby so I am excited to be in a position to do that. The challenge now is to impress so I can hopefully secure a long-term deal.”

Sefanaia won’t struggle to adjust to the playing environment, with Manly team-mates Mark Swanepeol, Tim Fairbrother, Tevita Metuisela and his old coach Phil Blake all familiar faces.