Thread: Force add Matt Brandon to backs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force add Matt Brandon to backs

By RugbyWA Media

Emirates Western Force Coach Richard Graham has moved to bolster the club’s backs by offering a short term deal to Queensland flyhalf Matt Brandon.

The 24 year old arrived in Perth on Tuesday morning and trained that afternoon. He’ll have a few more opportunities to familiarise himself with the game plan on Thursday and also the Captain’s Run the following day before suiting up on the bench against the Blues on Saturday night.

Brandon has been brought in a four week deal after an elbow injury to Mitch Inman and Rory Sidey’s suspension in last weekend’s clash with the Sharks left Graham short of numbers across the backs with a total of seven players in that area unavailable.

While the club’s starters still boast the quality of James O’Connor, Cameron Shepherd, Gene Fairbanks and David Smith, Graham said there was a need to add further back-up.

“With a relatively small squad size of 36, including four academy players, the seven injuries have put pressure on our back line playing stocks and left us with relatively little room to manoeuvre,” Graham said.

“Matt has played in some good quality competitions including the Magners League and in Japan and will bring those experiences with him to the Emirates Western Force.”

Brandon has taken his rugby across the globe, plying his trade in Ireland for Connacht before teaming up with former Force star Scott Staniforth at Yokogawa in the Japanese competition. He returned to Australia last year and most recently stepped out for the Reds 2nd XV in matches against international opponents including Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

“It was a nice surprise to get the call from Richard. It has all happened really quickly but I’m thankful and grateful to be given an opportunity at the club,” Brandon said.

“It has always been my goal to play in Super Rugby and I’m looking forward to the opportunity of learning from the coaching staff and players assembled here and also contributing something of my own.”

While Brandon has initially been retained on a short term injury replacement contract, he needn’t look any further than current Emirates Western Force squad members Nathan Charles and Jono Jenkins, both of whom received their starts at the club in the same fashion last season before going on to be rewarded with longer terms deals.

“There is definitely a pathway that other players have taken which gives me confidence in the programme,” Brandon said.

“I hope to press my case for a longer contract and will be doing everything I can to help the club in the next month.”

Player Profile
    Name: Matt Brandon
    DOB: 13/3/1986
    Height: 180cm
    Weight: 84kg
    Position: Flyhalf
    Previous Clubs: 2011 Queensland Reds 2nd XV; 2009/10 Yokogawa (Japan); 2008/09 Connacht (Ireland)

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...4/Default.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    180cm 84 kg #10

I would have preferred a 92 kilo outside back, it smells a lot like willie's going to pull a pretorius

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Can't get a break, hey?

Regardless of Ripia's injury state we need someone on the bench for Saturday. Any other suggestions?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Another one poached from the galloping koalas.. er.. Reds!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome Matt, thanks for coming over

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

vCash
    needs to put some meat on those thighs.. welcome though hope you get a chance to display your skills!

Champion
    vCash
    Welcome Brando, but looks like bruce reid "snap in half" with a crunching tackle... good luck and hope he can get on the park longer than our last 3 halves.

vCash
    im expecting a media release of signing up tony brown once his done with the highlanders sos call.

Veteran
    vCash
    i was reading the mag from my membership and had a look at the number of early 20 year olds, it is many! if we can keep them, we will be very good in a couple of years...

vCash
    Please permanently retire the 10 or at least don't playing JOC in it any more.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Can't get a break, hey?

Regardless of Ripia's injury state we need someone on the bench for Saturday. Any other suggestions?
    I'll be on the bench.....?.but not much use as a player...LOL!!! but certainly great support for the team..