Poll: Has the Force changed your Allegiance?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will the Force change the International Team you support

vCash

Will the Force change the International Team you support

Now the S14 season has completed, some of the focus now moves over to the upcoming internationals.

So the question is: Has the Force changed you allegiance?

Have you been barracking for Nathan Sharpe, Scott Fava, Scott "The Spanner" Staniforth all season?

Are you now going to barrack against them?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's an interesting thing the whole changing allegiance matter and as I was born in WA I am possibly less qualified to have a set opinion than to simply pass on my observations.
    There is a minesite nearby that I go to to watch Rugby on Fox and I am often sitting there with many expats from other countries.
    Over the last S14 season that has included to my knowledge people from NZ, SA, England, Scotland, Zim, Fiji and I'm sure a few others who haven't made themselves known.
    The bulk of them are from NZ, of those the majority of them have made the Force their first S14 team but regardless of whether they are citizens, residents or on a working visa, every one of them still supports the All Blacks.
    Of the handful of South Africans only one had changed to support the Force but they all had them as their "second team" instead of another SA team. None of them had swapped their country support regardless of status.
    The Fijian was happy to support both the Force and the Wallabies but obviously still had a soft spot for the Fijians when they play.
    The Zim had also thrown in his lot with the Force and the Wallabies but didn't care too much for how the Zims went.
    Of the Poms and the Scot, all of them supported the Force passionately however only two Poms had made the giant leap of supporting the Wallabies.
    One had been in Australia for many years and had a son who had played for WA.
    The other said he changed his alliegance as he stepped off the plane.
    He told me he had chosen to live in Australia for the rest of his life and in doing so he had accepted that meant "being an Australian" in all things.
    He had made the commitment warts and all.
    He is about 45-50 years of age when he got here two years ago.
    It is quite an eye opener watching a Pom chearing for Australia in the Ashes!
    That bloke gained a huge deal of respect from me as I think it was the first person from any nation to make that change so rapidly and I don't know if I could make the transition that rapidly.
    Mind you, I don't intend moving to another country either!
    In an ideal world I would love to see all Residents become Citizens and in the process support their new home country as a matter of principle but I also accept that I haven't had to face that decision.
    I think part of it is that those who come from strong rugby countries also have less "reason" to swap as they still enjoy success against Australia where as the Fijian and the Zim are able to now support a Tier 1 nation. And also those from outside of NZ and SA had no previous Super Rugby team so it was natural that they could latch on to the new S14 entity in their State.
    Would love to hear comment from others who have not brought themselves to chearing for the Wallabies yet and whether they think with time they will be able to or if they think that they could never chear against their country of birth?
    Great thread Mambo

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Come on EnForcer let's hear your story......

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    might get a lot more Wallabies supporters now Wendel has gone lol

vCash
    This started out from friends of mine. I have some from NZ, SA, England and England via SA. Some have made the decision that they would support Australia at averything, whilst others are torn and others will never make the switch. The chap from England behaved the same way as Burgs friend in that he moved here and switched immediately. I also found it amusing when he supported Australia in the Ashes.

Most are Australian citizens and some have been living in Australia longer than in their country of Birth whilst others have only been here a relatively short time. So a true mix.

I have thought about it myself and I would find it hard to switch away from the Wallabies but again like Burgs, I could not see myself wanting to leave Australia, unless work dragged me away.

vCash
    I noticed there's no option for "Yes - Switching from Wallabies to other"

I'm already a Wallabies supporter, and no matter how good or bad any of the provinces do, I'll remain a Wallabies supoprter.

vCash
    I can add that sage if you want..

Except I don't know how!

Last edited by Mambo No. 5; 17-05-06 at 12:44.

vCash
    Hehe nah it's all good.

vCash
    1 year ago the Wallabies would of been the only Rugby team I could of named! It's also the only rugby hat & jersey I own. So I voted #1

I never realized it was such a melting pot down there. I've never moved out of the country but I have moved to several different cities. Like Burgs stated, as a matter of principal I support the local sport teams. The headaches are the same the next day after a big win. The difference is I have never really had that sick feeling when they lost the big game like you have with the team you truely love.

vCash
    I support Wales and the Wallabies, Wales is in the blood, I don't think I could ever not support them, and I'd probably support them if they played the Walabies, but I'd be feeling a bit torn! Which was kind of how I felt last year when Wales one against the Wallabies.

Both sides still have the hairs up on the back of the neck and me sitting on the edge of the seat in the stadium, there's enough passion in me for both!

When is comes down to it chuck in a few extra letters and Wales becomes Wallabies anyay!!!!

We are TheWholeForce kin (try saying this really fast)

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Great to see that Sparko has finally shown his true colours and admitted he has given the All Blacks the flick and will now be wearing his green and gold jacket all the time!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm with Pontyboy, I can't change from Scotland as it's in my blood. Although, I have to admit to changing my allegiance from the All Blacks, whom I have supported as my second team since I was a boy, to the Wallabies. My son is Australian and it's only right his Father supports the Wallabies second to his beloved Scotland who will beat the Boks on Saturday night.

Oh Flower Of Scotland
    When will wee see.......

Come on boys, you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach, just a wee correction...Scotland with one t and england with small e.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    Great to see that Sparko has finally shown his true colours and admitted he has given the All Blacks the flick and will now be wearing his green and gold jacket all the time!
    ahh yes, but while wearing the green and gold will he still have a black handbag by his side ?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer

Coach, just a wee correction...Scotland with one t and england with small e.
    Wasn't me, although I have made the same mistake myself - fixed ...

vCash
    Well im a bok myself and have supported and grown up in the counrty, but now that i live in Perth and am comeing through the ranks of Australian rugby you start to have a soft spot for the wallabies.... I think i will be changing sides come the end of the world cup.. on the other hand... i may keep supporting the soon to be world champions BOKKE! mmm ova time i will change

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast