Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'Time to put bottle away' writes Cameron Shepherd

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

'Time to put bottle away' writes Cameron Shepherd

Cameron Shepherd From: The Sunday Times February 12, 2011 6:25PM

TURNAROUND: Cameron Shepherd wants to repay the Force faithful, starting next Sunday. Source: PerthNow

AS it's been reported in recent weeks, I made a major error of judgement when I drove my car after I had been drinking, and while my licence was suspended.

My actions were nothing but stupid.

It was also the wake-up call I needed that alcohol is having a major affect on my life, and it's something I can do without.

Unfortunately, it's taken a few major mistakes for me to finally realise this.

Maybe I won't remain dry forever, but for this period of my life I've decided it's just not for me.

I have let my family, friends, team mates, sponsors, club and fans down and I'm really ashamed of my actions and poor judgement.

Probably the worst thing is letting down the young fans who look up to me. This is not the message I want sent to them from a so-called role model.

In life we all make mistakes. I believe the way you bounce back from hard times is what defines you as a person.

Related Coverage

With every negative, there has to be a positive. I'm going to do all in my power to turn things around, starting on the football field.

Since breaking my ankle in 2008 against France, I haven't been the same.

I've struggled to stay on the field and have obviously been battling some demons off it.

However, this year I I'm in the best shape of my career. My body has never felt better.

The pre-season we all went through has been the best I have ever been involved in.

The fresh approach of our new strength and conditioning coach Charlie Higgins, who strangly enough was my S and C coach when I started my rugby journey as a 17-year-old at the Northern Suburbs Rugby Club in Sydney in 2002, has been amazing.

Coupled with the passion and support of Richard and the rest of the coaching staff, there is a feeling among the group I haven't felt in my six seasons with the club.

With a competition approaching you can never judge how successful you will actually be, but one thing I can promise is that on February 20 when the competion begins in Brisbane, the Emirates Western Force team that takes to the field will be the fittest, strongest and most driven team we have ever fielded.

As a team we look forward to the support of our fans this season. I can't wait to see you all, dressed in blue and cheering us on at nib Stadium for the first home game of the season on March 5.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1226004942440

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Cam, have you heard that Palmyra is an alcohol free club?

vCash
    No, I'm sorry Cameron, but this doesn't cut it. I'm a firm believer in second chances, but you've had one of those already. I think I'm really going to struggle cheering you on this year in the blue, which is really saddening. These haven't been the actions of someone taking their public appearance, or career, or the lives of everyone else on the road seriously. An article in the Sunday times doesn't change anything about that. As they say, actions speak louder than words.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Bit harsh Robyn, redemption should always be available, I would approach it with an I believe it when I see it, but applaud his attempt to fix up his life.

If he was my little brother, i'd forgive him.

C'mon the

vCash
    I think that this is a major step in the right direction, Sam you are doing the right thing in supporting and steering Cam in the right direction, he needs all the support he can get.

My heart goes out to Sam, it is not easy to help someone confront demons like he is battling with, Sam there are many of us out here quietly hoping and praying that you achieve your goal together with Cam. You sound like the rock he needs to stay strong, and each time he scores for the Force this season and hopefully it will be many times, there will be many of us in the sea of blue thanking you.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    The bloke is a rugby player not an angel

he stuffed up

he was punished

The powers that be decided to give him another chance. Let his rugby do the talking

The end

Controversy corner

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    No, I'm sorry Cameron, but this doesn't cut it. I'm a firm believer in second chances, but you've had one of those already. I think I'm really going to struggle cheering you on this year in the blue, which is really saddening. These haven't been the actions of someone taking their public appearance, or career, or the lives of everyone else on the road seriously. An article in the Sunday times doesn't change anything about that. As they say, actions speak louder than words.
    I agree with Rex, and at least he is man enough to stand up and admit the problem to the public. I agree actions speak louder than words and in my opinion his public response is a very positive and open start. Give the man a chance.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    give the guy a break, do your talking on the field shep.....

vCash
    He's been given a break. He's had the chance for redemption. But then he went out DUI again, but this time with a suspended license. Obviously the message has failed to sink in, and I'm not convinced that the punishment this time will have been enough to get it through this time either. I probably am being harsh, but no harsher than Beale and Quade were treated when they screwed up with the law. I'll be pleased to see if he can turn it around though.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Geez Robyn,hope you never become a judge

vCash
    I couldn't care less whether he drinks or not. Just keep focused on rugby because we need an in form fullback to complete an amazing backline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Geez Robyn,hope you never become a judge
    I was raised by a lawyer. I blame her

vCash
    He's been given a break. He's had the chance for redemption. But then he went out DUI again, but this time with a suspended license. Obviously the message has failed to sink in, and I'm not convinced that the punishment this time will have been enough to get it through this time either. I probably am being harsh, but no harsher than Beale and Quade were treated when they screwed up with the law. I'll be pleased to see if he can turn it around though.
    Actually cam's punishment has been pert consistent with what Quade and Kurtley got.

Done the crime, done the time, give him a chance to make right.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Actually cam's punishment has been pert consistent with what Quade and Kurtley got.

Done the crime, done the time, give him a chance to make right.
    Hopefully his redemption to the rugby faithful this year is similar to what those two guys produced last year.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    one could say your signature is promoting binge drinking robyn

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast