Thread: Former Hale and Soaks player wins VC

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Former Hale and Soaks player wins VC

VWA digger awarded VC medal
    Sean Cowan and Nick Taylor, The West Australian
    January 22, 2011, 12:10 am

The son of Corruption and Crime Commission chief Len Roberts-Smith will receive Australia's highest military honour tomorrow for charging into machine-gun fire and killing several Taliban fighters in Afghanistan last year.

Cpl Ben Roberts-Smith, 32, will become just the second Australian recipient of a Victoria Cross since the end of the Vietnam War and the first to have already been awarded a Medal for Gallantry, which he received in 2006.

The married father of two, known as RS to his mates at the WA-based Special Air Service Regiment, will receive the famous medal from Governor-General Quentin Bryce at a ceremony at Campbell Barracks in Swanbourne.

Cpl Roberts-Smith followed in his father's footsteps when he joined the military soon after graduating from Hale School in 1995.

Len Roberts-Smith, a former Supreme Court judge who will retire from his position at the CCC in two weeks, was a major-general as a military judge advocate-general for several years.

Ben's brother Sam, a graduate of the WA Academy of Performing Arts, is at the Australian Opera in Sydney.

Defence yesterday refused to confirm Cpl Roberts-Smith would become the 98th Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross and Len Roberts-Smith declined to comment.

A schoolboy rugby champion who also played school basketball with future sporting stars Michael Gardiner and James Harvey, Cpl Roberts-Smith won Hale School first XV's best and fairest award in his final year at school.

At more than 200cm tall, the giant second rower then played for the Nedlands-based Associates colts in the RugbyWA competition and later the club's premier grade team.

Former SAS soldier Rob Maylor, who used a nickname when writing about Cpl Roberts-Smith in his book SAS Sniper, said his friend would be a deserving recipient of Australia's second Afghanistan campaign Victoria Cross.

Mr Maylor, who left the SAS last year, said he served alongside Cpl Roberts-Smith and Australia's previous Victoria Cross winner Cpl Mark Donaldson several times.

Cpl Roberts-Smith had originally been with 3RAR at Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney but had joined the SAS in 2002, he said.

"The three of us have worked together a hell of a lot," he said.

"We have all worked in Afghanistan and other places. I speak to RS on the phone regularly but he didn't even tell me about what happened in this incident.

"But I would say he is one of the best soldiers.

"He is very focused on his job and he is a very, very good thinker. A very lateral thinker.

"This sort of thing (winning a Victoria Cross) can have a huge effect on someone but he is such a strong character and so humble that, although this is major, it won't go to his head."

Cpl Donaldson, who was born in NSW, received his honour after braving enemy fire to rescue a wounded Afghan interpreter in the southern Afghan province of Oruzgan in September 2008.

Cpl Roberts-Smith was recommended for the Victoria Cross after intense fighting in the Shah Wali Kot region of Kandahar last June.

Up to 30 SAS soldiers had come under heavy fire when he stormed a nest of Taliban fighters and silenced three machine-guns.

He received a Medal for Gallantry in 2006 for courage under fire in Afghanistan's Chora Valley.

He will become the first WA-born Victoria Cross recipient since World War II when Pte Tom Starcevich, of Esperance, received the medal for attacking a series of Japanese machine-gun posts in Borneo, killing 12 enemy soldiers.

He died in 1989.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...rded-vc-medal/

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...illed-taliban/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 22-01-11 at 08:37.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Congratulations CPL Roberts-Smith.

There is a guy who should never have to buy his own beer ever again.

A true Australian hero

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Any VC recipient, by definition, has obviously done heroic deeds.
    The more I hear on the radio and read about the act being acknowledged by RS the more I realise he is a hero among heroes, truly among our bravest warriors.

Even more amazing is that such a big unit could do what he did and still come out alive!

Admiration and congratulations Cpl Roberts-Smith.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can't help wondering how the press got the information, given the army normally declined to give out any details of special services soldiers...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's a big unit!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Can't help wondering how the press got the information, given the army normally declined to give out any details of special services soldiers...
    All of this information would come from the Australian Defence Force Public Relations Unit.

Andy you are right that Special Forces personal are never named and the media respect that. In special times like the awarding of the Victoria Cross, the soldier involved is presented to a very proud nation and its very unlikely that the soldier will see action again he will be utilised in PR and training roles from now on.

Exile
    Sydney

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    No doubt, and put like that I feel a bit sorry for him. Suspect he and his mates might as well. Like a professional sportsman he's dedicated all his time and effort into being pre-eminently good at something and, when he goes out and plays an absolute blinder, his reward is to be benched for life. He'll doubtless get a promotion, but starting from Corporal you'd have to wonder whether his future prospects will look as good behind a desk. Hope he's good with a stapler.

But he'll be safe. The army must have known for long enough that he was getting a VC and what that was likely to mean for him, yet the initial reports just called him Corporal Ben. Makes me wonder whether someone else might have spilt the beans, knowing he couldn't go back once his name was out.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I suspect it may end up being a case of never officially being aknowledged to be heading back to the front lines, he sounds like too inspirational a bloke not to be trotted out to the boys every now and then.
    Would do there head in not being able to head back out to their mates, in some ways I find that really sad, but as perhaps being alluded to Andy, I'm sure his loved ones feel differently.
    It was a little strange though, it's not as if he would have flown in on Saturday for the ceremony today, so the veil of secrecy was perhaps a bit of staging.
    Regardless, legend and hero walking, we should all be proud of him.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    He would have been referred to as CPL Ben prior to the presentation ceremony again because of announcements and press release statements from Defence PR.

One thing I just thought of - I am not aware of the Western Force having a number 1 ticket holder. Is there one.

As a former player at Hale and for Associates - I couldnt think of a better candidate for the role. Would be a good guy to have on board if ever Sharpie needed a few inspirational words for the boys.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    If he's not going back to Afghanistan, would he go back to club rugby? Imagine coming up against him in a ruck!

vCash
    Giving them

Last edited by Thequeerone; 24-01-11 at 15:07. Reason: Goodness me someone give AH some puppy kibble
    when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    One thing I just thought of - I am not aware of the Western Force having a number 1 ticket holder. Is there one.
    Bob Kucera possibly. At least in year 1.

I noticed Australia's newest VC EARNer ("win". f&%&'n grumble ) went to handshake his presenter first but then stopped and saluted then gave a handshake.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Bob Kucera possibly. At least in year 1.

I noticed Australia's newest VC EARNer ("win". f&%&'n grumble ) went to handshake his presenter first but then stopped and saluted then gave a handshake.
    Even tough guys get nervous.

the presenter would be the Governer General - Quentin Bryce

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Hardcore View Post
    Giving them out for fuck all these days
    Just goes to show that while few are capable of the highest standards of humanity, there are always plenty who find no problem plumbing the depths. After all, it's dead easy and requires no character whatsoever.

SMOTE!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    ...VC EARNer ("win". f&%&'n grumble ) ...
    Recipient

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.