Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: WA Reds NRL Bid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere that I prefer the suggested "Perth Nazi Killer Sex Death Hates". Thanks HG.
    Colonel Mustard in the Library with the candle stick?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    OK, it was a bit of an overload, but surely the big news there was that Andrew Forrest watches Rugby. Unfortunate that it is the light stuff (sorry, held out as long as I could), but if there was any chance we could all one day find ourselves rolling up to Forrest stadium I wouldn't really care who talked him into it. Not going to hold my breath though - the Australian version of rich are very much of the "nouveau" variety and not much into philanthropy or public service...tight as the proverbial as a rule.

vCash
    What have I done to deserve this damnation?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    OK, it was a bit of an overload, but surely the big news there was that Andrew Forrest watches Rugby. Unfortunate that it is the light stuff (sorry, held out as long as I could), but if there was any chance we could all one day find ourselves rolling up to Forrest stadium I wouldn't really care who talked him into it. Not going to hold my breath though - the Australian version of rich are very much of the "nouveau" variety and not much into philanthropy or public service...tight as the proverbial as a rule.
    This is way off topic but I have to respond to this one.

Being part of the "nouveau" rich set I take exception to the tight as the proverbial comment.

I would also like to point out some little known facts.

About 15 or 20 years ago Kerry Packer had himself a heart attack whilst playing Polo. The Ambulance that responded was able to save his life because it had a "CLEAR" - ZAP machine -sorry buggered if I know what they are called that restarted his heart.

The point is that that ambulance was one of only 3 in the state that was equipped with what was then state of the art piece of equipment. A couple of weeks later - every Ambulance in NSW had that same equipment - purchased by a thankful Packer family. This is only one example of a lifetime of very private but thoughtful charitable donations.

Kerry Stokes has, apparently purchased Australian VC's and baggy green caps that have been put up for auction to ensure that they remain in Australia.

and

I am 99% certain that Twiggy is the Patron of a charity that looks at the education and employment of indigenous Australians.

Perhaps it could be said that the Australian Rich List prefer to do their charity work in the background, rather then doing it for fame or glory.

Oh - btw - Im not rich - I am broke as. If anyone has a spare 13 grand - my creditors would be very grateful

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Just delete this whole thread and start from scratch maybe also first asking the owner of the forum if he won't mind you posting 5 pages of spam on his forum

vCash
    OK, I'm not hating on league here, nor am I demeaning the importance of the bid, but holy hell, three pages before anybody gets a word in edgewise?

overeager much?

wouldn't it be easier to just post hyperlinks, so those of us whose mind is numbed by reading every sports writer's rehash of the same source material can pick and choose which links we want to follow.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Understand where you are coming from Ex, and the "tight as.." jibe was maybe a bit much, but would still say that there is a massive difference between generosity with tiny fractions of their excess cash (which takes very little actual effort) and generosity with their time. You look at the Yanks as an example and it is not the Rockefellers that pony up all the dough, it is them and the multitude of their mates they suck into supporting the causes they front. They commit their time, which is the one thing that everyone only gets so much of. It is also why their cities have museums, concert halls, art galleries, theatres, sporting facilities, etc, etc to go with a proliferation of trusts and institutions for all manner of charities and issues. They don't just sit back expecting the government to do the necessary with taxpayers money, they get in and try to leave a legacy. Not saying it is better, but it is certainly different and a bit of it might be a welcome development here.

But it is an interesting point; perhaps the national character naturally tends to rebel against fronting things like that, seeing it as lairising and big-noting. Certainly it would put them out there for the tall-poppy syndrome to have a lash at, so easier if they just quietly do a little bit behind the scenes.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Exile, I don't give a rat's what amount of self serving philanthropy the likes of Packer and Forrest get their jollies from.

I just wish the Government, any Government, had the balls to make these individuals and their corporate entities pay their fair share of taxes out of the obscene profits they make from exploiting the nation's resources, and shuffling pieces of paper with the invariable consequence of their enrichment and everyone else's impoverishment.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 21-01-11 at 08:06.

vCash
    Sorry, had to respond to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    About 15 or 20 years ago Kerry Packer had himself a heart attack whilst playing Polo. The Ambulance that responded was able to save his life because it had a "CLEAR" - ZAP machine -sorry buggered if I know what they are called that restarted his heart.
    You mean a defibrillator? These do not re-start the heart.

When you have a heart attack, the heart doesn't usually stop, it just goes into an irregular rythym which prevents blood from flowing properly. The defibrillator actually stops the heart. If you are lucky, the heart's natural pacemaker kicks in immediately, otherwise you have to do the airway, breathing and chest compressions (ABCs) until it does. Believing that defibrillators re-start the heart comes from getting your medical knowledge from TV rather than doing a first aid course! Do a first aid course!

(It might not save your life - it might save someone else's!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Sorry, had to respond to this:

You mean a defibrillator? These do not re-start the heart.

When you have a heart attack, the heart doesn't usually stop, it just goes into an irregular rythym which prevents blood from flowing properly. The defibrillator actually stops the heart. If you are lucky, the heart's natural pacemaker kicks in immediately, otherwise you have to do the airway, breathing and chest compressions (ABCs) until it does. Believing that defibrillators re-start the heart comes from getting your medical knowledge from TV rather than doing a first aid course! Do a first aid course!

(It might not save your life - it might save someone else's!)
    ummmm, does that change the point that a defibrillator saved his life? I'm pretty sure that if he was in fibrillation, he was pretty close to buggered, and the technology helped the ambulance crew restore a regular rhythm to his heartbeat.

And then the family bought a shit load of them. Seems to me the intent of the story hasn't changed!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    OK, I'm not hating on league here, nor am I demeaning the importance of the bid, but holy hell, three pages before anybody gets a word in edgewise?

overeager much?

wouldn't it be easier to just post hyperlinks, so those of us whose mind is numbed by reading every sports writer's rehash of the same source material can pick and choose which links we want to follow.
    Sorry mate, new to this site. Not sure how everything works.

vCash
    alrighty, just to get back on topic for a few seconds for those who are interested.

There was a meeting the other night at the WARL headquarters. Much was discussed, the main thing to come out was that there really is only one thing left to do, that the WARL wanted to do.

Memberships for this bid aren't as important as it is to the other bids because of the fact that this bid can bring in a new time slot for game shown on TV in the Eastern states.

I.e. Super Saturday usually has 3 games, 2 live and one delayed on TV. These games are played on shown in EST below:

5.30pm Kick off (5.30pm TV)
    7.30pm Kick off (7.30pm TV)
    7.30pm Kick off (9:30pm TV)

That is just an example but you can easily see how three live games can add something to the NRL, this is also possible for friday night games to have two live games instead of one live and one delayed. Because of this memberships aren't as important to this bid as to other bids.

However i have gone off the rails with this post, the one thing that the WARL would like is to have a rich person to underwrite the club. This is not essential but it would lay to rest any worries the NRL has over the club being financially stable.

vCash
    Btw, i would just like to thank you posters for not ripping my head off. I realise this is a sport forum of another sport other then League and yes i do have interest in Union myself.

However i expected to be labelled a troll for providing this information or a 'hater of union' or something along those lines.

So thanks for not doing that guys and gals. I hope in the future you will be able to enjoy the WA Reds games just as much as the Western Force games.

I may be talking about League but hey! at least its not AFL right?

I joke, i joke.

Thanks guys.

If you have any questions about the bid i'll try and field them.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Exile, I don't give a rat's what amount of self serving philanthropy the likes of Packer and Forrest get their jollies from.

I just wish the Government, any Government, had the balls to make these individuals and their corporate entities pay their fair share of taxes out of the obscene profits they make from exploiting the nation's resources, and shuffling pieces of paper with the invariable consequence of their enrichment and everyone else's impoverishment.
    Fulvio - many a time I have had a drink and a conversation with you and I hold you and your opinions in the highest regard. But mate - this statement was obviously for the cheap comment.

To suggest that Australia's uber rich dont pay ever dollar of tax that they are supposed to is bordering on the ridiculous.

To think that the Australian Tax Office would not try and catch them out - and name and shame them at their first opportunity is just as foolish

Kerry Packer once said it is the obligation of every single tax payer in Australia to pair the minimum amount of tax. and not a cent more.

Fulvio I can only assume this comment was made in jest - You can and have done so much better.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WA sport fan View Post
    Btw, i would just like to thank you posters for not ripping my head off. I realise this is a sport forum of another sport other then League and yes i do have interest in Union myself.
    that's ok mate. Most of us on this site have a real interest in seeing the reds get accepted into the NRL. The reasons for this vary. Those of the ilk of Shasta, Jargan and WRLF all want to see more mungoball being played live in Perth. Others of us (myself included) think it'll add enough pressure on the state government for them to get of their f*kin hands and build a decent stadium......others support it so the knuckle draggers are kept out of the pure form of the game....... either way, you're amongst friends here (but most of us are friends who will take the piss and rip on your sport anyway) have fun, and remember, most of us are too old to happily digest a war and peace about a variation on the code.

Last edited by GIGS20; 21-01-11 at 12:22.
    C'mon the

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast