Thread: Anare Koliavu

vCash

Anare Koliavu

Congratulations to Anare Koliavu, Palmyras match winning captain and No.8 in season 2010. Anare has been named in the Fiji Warriors squad - one step closer to his dream of playing in the RWC for Fiji. All the best Rayza for your next few weeks and the games against the Rebels and the Waratahs.

The following is an article written by Torika Tokalau on the Fijilive website on 15 January:

Western Force academy player, Anare Koliavu has his eyes fixed on the 2011 Rugby World Cup as he takes his first step towards the dream in the Fiji Warriors team preparing for the Australian tour later this month.

Koliavu will make his debut for Fiji in February, a long time waiting for the Tailevu man who missed out on the 2007 RWC trials because of the birth of his son, Stewart.

“I’ve always wanted to play for Fiji but this year it’s been a more desperate urge then anything because of the world cup in October,” the 28-year old said.

Koliavu comes started playing when he was 21-years old after moving to New Zealand when he was five. He has played in the National Provincial Championship for Lions, Hawks Bay and Horowhenua.

He now plies his trade in Australia for the Palmyra club in Perth. The number eight also led the Perth State team last year.

“I have a lot of confidence coming into this team, I think it’s because I know the level of rugby played in Australia and New Zealand. I have a fair idea of their skill level and the style of rugby they play.”

“I really want to make the Flying Fijians team for the world cup. This is the first step for me and I hope to go out there and let my name known. Fiji has no idea of who I am as a player because I am new to the scene but I hope to change that next month.”

Koliavu said he was confident of the Fiji Warriors chances against the Rebels and Waratahs.

“Anything can happen, they will have a bit more dominance obviously but Fijians play with a lot of heart and hopefully this will take us through the game.”

Fiji plays the Melbourne Rebels on January 29 and the Waratahs on February 4

Original Article : http://www.palmyrarugby.com.au/news.php?news_id=201

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great work

I don't in any way want to take away from the effort and the journey, but was wondering why he would be in the Force Academy when committed to playing for Fiji?
    As a 28 year old #8 I wouldn't have thought he would be someone featuring for a marquee position in the main squad.
    From arms length, perhaps those resources would be better spent on a junior player under the current arrangements?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I guess playing for the force wh
    St satisfying the eligibility requirements to play for the wallabies would be fine. The conundrum would come if he was fully contracted and then selected for Fiji. It'd be fun to hear the conversations between various lawyers should that eventuate.

C'mon the