The passing of two of the great bandsmen of Australian Rock.

RIP Steve and Harvey

Cold Chisel drummer Steve Prestwich dies from brain tumour

January 17, 2011 10:09AM

IT WAS a sad weekend for the Australian rock world, with the deaths of two legends.

Cold Chisel drummer Steve Prestwich died on Sunday from a brain tumour at the age of 56, with Sherbert guitarist Harvey James also losing his battle with cancer on Saturday night.

Steve's brother Simon confirmed to the Daily Telegraph's Undercover that Steve passed away on Sunday at around 3.30pm.

Prestwich was born in Liverpool, England but moved to Adelaide, Australia when his family migrated in 1971.

He was was a founding member of the band Orange in 1973, featuring Jimmy Barnes, Ian Moss, Don Walker and Les Kaczmarek.

In 1974, they changed their name to Cold Chisel.

In Cold Chisel, Steve Prestwich wrote the now classics When The War Is Over and Forever Now and co-wrote Flame Trees with Don Walker.

He also wrote Best Kept Lies from Chisel’s classic East album.

After Chisel broke up in 1983, Steve joined Little River Band who also recorded When The War Is Over, with John Farnham as lead singer.

He released two solo albums Since You’ve Been Gone in 2000 and Every Highway in 2009.

Meanwhile, Sherbert guitarist Harvey James has died after a battle with lung cancer.

The 58-year-old died peacefully in Melbourne at 8.15pm Saturday.

Read more about the passing of Harvey James at the Herald Sun.

Daughter Alexandra James broke the news on a dedicated "Send Your Love To Harvey James" Facebook page.

"We would to thank everybody for all the wonderful support over the past 6 months,'' Alexandra posted.

"The love has been overwhelming. Rest in peace my gorgeous, funny, amazing father. We will miss you everyday forever. Xxxxxx."

James and Sherbet were to headline the Gimme That Guitar concert on February 17, joined by Ian Moss, Renee Geyer, Swanee, Dragon, Richard Clapton and Kevin Borich.

Joshua and his other son Gabriel were set to perform in Band Of Friends alongside their father.

James spoke about his love of music in a recent interview with the Daily Telegraph.

"My music found me, it found me when I was 16 and has stayed with me ever since,'' Harvey said.

When they called it quits in 1984, he was sought after by the who's who of Australian rock for his axe skills.

-With the Herald Sun