Thread: Shaun Edwards team of the decade

vCash

Shaun Edwards team of the decade

Not sure about some of the selections - northern hemisphere bias (which he acknowledges) but here's Shaun Edwards' team of the decade (4 each from NZ, SA & England, 2 from Australia and an Irishman):

Time for some fun. We could be talking about how the breakdown is getting mucky again or who goes into 2011 as Heineken Cup favourites. But instead why don't we pick a team who show off the best of the past 10 years? To qualify a player has to have been around for the bulk of that decade, been valuable to both his club and his country and, finally, that he's a good bloke. It's a team I'd not only like to coach but be more than happy to be with socially.

15 Mils Muliaina This guy ticks most of the boxes. Made his Super Rugby debut in 2001, his international debut against England in 2003 and 92 Test caps later is getting better and better. Quick and incisive, a key part of the All Blacks' counter-punching game. Also considered: Percy Montgomery, who set a few records for the Springboks, and Josh Lewsey, who would definitely make the bench because of his versatility.

14 Jason Robinson I'm biased but he is the only northern-hemisphere player to score a try while winning a World Cup final. Run close by Doug Howlett, whose All Black career ended ridiculously early, as he continues to prove with Munster.

13 Brian O'Driscoll Announced himself with a stunning hat-trick against France in 2000 and continues to shine. He has 107 caps, one grand slam and four triple crowns with Ireland, a Heineken Cup with Leinster but it's not until you work with the man that you realise just how good he is. Others considered: Yannick Jauzion, of France and Toulouse, and the former Australia captain Stirling Mortlock.

12 Tana Umaga One of the most liked and respected men in rugby – despite the incident with O'Driscoll in 2005 – and still going strong even though he was New Zealand's player of the year at the turn of the decade. He made his Super Rugby debut in 1996 but at the age of 37 the former All Black captain just signed on with the Chiefs for next season. Also considered: Matt Giteau and Mike Catt, who joined Bath in 1992 and ended as the oldest player to play in a World Cup final.

11 Bryan Habana World Cup winner and a great club man who helped turn the Blue Bulls from a joke into the best province in the world but he was run close by Shane Williams, veteran of 75 Tests with Wales and his country's leading try scorer. In the grand slam side of 2008 he represented 50% of Wales's offence but it's the global title that gives Habana his edge.

10 Dan Carter Should it be Carter or Jonny Wilkinson? Difficult. Each the best on his day but Carter's Super Rugby record with his province, Canterbury, and his stand-out performances against the 2005 Lions with the All Blacks – one of the best sides I've ever seen – tip the argument.

9 George Gregan Anyone who plays behind an Australia pack for so long deserves anything that's going. Gregan survived and flourished 139 times, winning the World Cup in 1999, and was also a considerable force with the Brumbies in Super Rugby from 1996 onwards, winning the title in 2000 and 2004. The competition was fierce – Byron Kelleher, Rob Howley, Matt Dawson and Justin Marshall – but Gregan gets the shirt.

1 Os du Randt Winner of two World Cups – in 1995 and 2007 – which makes him special and the most capped Springbok forward when he retired after beating England in Paris three years ago. Typically Jacobus Petrus du Randt, a farmer for most of his career, lasted all 80 minutes. Heir apparent: Gethin Jenkins of Wales and Cardiff Blues.

2 John Smit Another of the 2007 Springbok front row and the inspiration for his team. If South Africa are to defend their title, Smit will have to be fit and well and not playing tighthead – an experiment which didn't work. Also considered: Keven Mealamu of New Zealand and the former France and Wasps captain Raphaël Ibañez who "retired" in 2003 but was still around and doing great things in 2008.

3 Phil Vickery Not too many tighthead props last the course but Vickery, despite injuries, made two World Cup finals and picked up the Heineken Cup and Premiership titles after moving to Wasps. One of those guys who can lift a side who feel they've given everything.

4 Simon Shaw Again the Edwards bias may be showing through but I would argue that for the 10 years in question Shaw would be the man packing down behind the tighthead. Brad Thorn has flirted with rugby league, Fabien Pelous and Bakkies Botha would be there or thereabouts but remember Martin Johnson retired halfway through the decade.

5 Victor Matfield Never seen anyone better in the lineout. Ben Kay and Paul O'Connell are up there but Matfield is the best. Remember the seven steals against England in the 2007 final?

6 Rocky Elsom Difficult but I put the Australia captain a short head in front of the Springbok Schalk Burger, because of his heroics during Leinster's winning Heineken Cup campaign two seasons ago. Richard Hill, like Johnson, was not around for half the decade.

7 Richie McCaw You can't look past the All Black captain but George Smith and Serge Betsen have their followers.

8 Lawrence Dallaglio Simply the best captain I have ever known and one of those guys who was in at the start of my coaching career. Two World Cup finals, two Heineken Cups, four Premiership championships and a couple of Anglo‑Welsh cups says it all. Ticks all the boxes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    John Smit and Rocky Elsom not be in my team of the decade There have been better hookers and better Flankers than those 2 in world rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another tool team list order

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Four Wallabies in team of the year

January 2, 2011

From every rugby game he has watched this year, Will Greenwood* makes his global selection.

1 Soane Tonga'uiha

The Tongan is man of the match for Northampton almost every week. His offloading skills are like a basketball player's, his basics are strong, he has power at the breakdown and no front-rower carries or scores like him. Just behind are Gethin Jenkins, of Wales, and Thomas Domingo of France.

2 Bismarck du Plessis

Fiercely contested position. Could have been William Servat, of France and Toulouse. Keven Mealamu of New Zealand has been outstanding but the headbutt on Lewis Moody counted against him. Matthew Rees was outstanding for Wales. Du Plessis has been electric. The South African is fast, powerful, runs, scrums and scares the hell out of people.

3 Nicolas Mas

Perpignan and grand slam winner with France. It was the scrum that destroyed the home nations in the spring and that's what I want from a tight-head. His ability to apply pressure on opposing platforms meant sides were launching their moves on the back foot. On his side's put-in, everything was possible: right side up, square or even a small drag-around to push the left-hand side up. Davit Zirakashvili, Adam Jones and Dan Cole ran him close.

4 Brad Thorn

The player whom perhaps I have admired most this year. He completely understands his role. Similar to Springbok Bakkies Botha in style, he is an enforcer. Runs around hitting things very hard, then gets up and hits some more. Defensive work rate is exceptional and comfortable in the open. His contribution to an outstanding All Blacks team is immense. Very close are Lionel Nallet, the French enforcer, and Courtney Lawes. Thorn's consistency wins it.

5 Victor Matfield

The King of Cool in the second row for South Africa. Hard as nails and incredibly athletic. Giants aren't meant to make try-saving tackles but he has done it countless times. The undisputed rock star of the international lineout scene, he has the hands of an orthopaedic surgeon. Can change the outcome of Tests all by himself. Alun Wyn Jones and Nathan Sharpe also stood out.

6 Tom Croft

Tough choice. Injuries affected one of my all-time greats, Juan Smith. I am convinced Stephen Ferris will become one of Ireland's finest. Jerome Kaino is a one-man wrecking ball. I didn't even get to Rocky Elsom. Croft is an exceptional lineout technician and an outstanding athlete, yet very tough at the breakdowns, and a tremendous pilferer of ball. If England are to have a chance of World Cup glory, he must stay fit.

7 Richie McCaw

Captain of the awesome All Blacks, he leads with deeds not words. Fearless and has an ability to play the offside line and the referee. He is a contortionist; it should be impossible not to break bones or rupture ligaments in the positions he gets into at the breakdown. He is hunted down and still he beats the wolf pack to the breakdown. Wallabies star David Pocock will inherit his title after the World Cup.

8 Kieran Read

This position was another tight call. Ireland's Jamie Heaslip has been magnificent. Pierre Spies is frightening. Imanol Harinordoquy was brilliant in the Six Nations. But the control, power and stability Read provides has been instrumental in the All Blacks' renaissance. A no-nonsense, no-error No.8, with a nose for a try, a nose for danger. He does the basics but has a sprinkle of stardust. A candidate for 2010's most important player.

9 Will Genia

Ben Youngs has had an outstanding year, while Morgan Parra is an exceptional talent. Genia is special. One error against England cost him and Australia dearly, and the mistake led to the Chris Ashton try. But his sharpness of mind and body is electric; speed of pass and his choice of option are exceptional. His control of tempo impresses me most - he instinctively knows when to go and when not.

10 Quade Cooper

I know he can't tackle and I know you are all asking: How can I ignore Dan Carter? But the Wallabies five-eighth is a rare talent. A maverick, loose cannon, everything I wasn't. Perhaps that is what draws me in. Perhaps not the best bloke to have at the helm in a World Cup final but he is certainly the best to have at the helm of a fantasy team when no tackling is required. He does things that defy logic. He makes us all want to go outside and try things in the park. Carter just doesn't do that.

11 & 14 The kids are unleashed

Australia's James O'Connor and England's Chris Ashton, two poachers, get the job. They were responsible for my two ''jump out of your seat'' moments. The first was in Hong Kong in October when New Zealand's invincibility was dented. From 24-12 down, Australia were relentless in their attack. In the last play of the game, O'Connor, alongside Kurtley Beale, launched the attack and seconds later jinked over in the opposite corner. Then there was Ashton and the length-of-the-field run. The slight juggle, the eyes scanning, processing, the deviation in direction and that dive. Ole!

12 Ma'a Nonu

Gabiriele Lovobalavu almost stormed in for his one man-demolition of the Welsh midfield in Fiji's draw. Sonny Bill Williams pushed hard. James Hook is world class but Wales keep moving him about. For now Nonu is the world's best No.12. He has developed into a very balanced player. The power has always been there but now he can step round the outside and knows there is more than one way to skin a cat. Most importantly he now has the ball back in two hands quickly and can pull out the try-scoring pass.

13 Conrad Smith

Adam Ashley-Cooper has had an unbelievable autumn but ''Snake-hips'' Smith is rewarded for exceptional consistency, fortress-style defence and his ability to find gaps. I love watching him play, score and put up that big smile when one of his pals crashes over. A selfless master of the basics who creates space and makes others look good.

15 Kurtley Beale

The Goose to Quade Cooper's Maverick - these boys were made for Top Gun. Mils Muliaina had a cracking Tri-Nations but a quiet autumn. Beale is quickest player over 10 metres; his 55-metre penalty to beat South Africa was great; as was his chip-and-chase try v England; he splintered New Zealand's defence in Hong Kong; and ran riot in Paris. In Cardiff he almost scored the greatest try ever seen- he caught the high ball, broke the first line of defence, chipped, regathered, grubbered, regathered - then had it knocked out of his hands.

*World Cup-winning centre Will Greenwood won 55 caps for England.

Telegraph, London

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Amazing how many other Wallabies gets mentioned and they actually all deserve a mention.
    I hope they can carry the form into the world cup and all the way to the final

vCash
    no matter how good quade was.... i wouldnt have him there over carter

vCash
    Notable though that there's no Australian front-rowers even mentioned in either team, and only Sharpie in the locks. For all the improvements which the Wallabies have made in the tight five play recently, they're still only 'OK' on the world stage, and a smart team could exploit this at the world cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    no matter how good quade was.... i wouldnt have him there over carter
    Agreed, although for what it's worth I do like that last statement he made about him.