Thread: Wilkinson Dumps England for Toulon

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wilkinson Dumps England for Toulon

England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson has signed a contract extension with French Top 14 club Toulon for a further season, with an option for a second.

It's a move which could spell the end of the England star's international career.

The 86-times capped 31-year-old, with 1178 international points to his name, will continue playing for the southern French outfit until 2013.

Wilkinson, whose extra-time drop-goal won the 2003 World Cup for England, arrived at Toulon in the summer of 2009 from Newcastle and scored 302 points in his first season in France.

This season he is the top scorer in the French league with 169 points.

However, his decision to stay in France could have serious implications for his international career after the Rugby Football Union (RFU) decided to only select players from domestic clubs after the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

His only escape route would be if the RFU activated its get-out "exceptional circumstances" clause.

"I can understand where they (the RFU) are coming from," said Wilkinson recently.

"For me, in my situation at the moment, my main aim is to keep getting better and I made a move (to Toulon) a year and a half ago to try to continue to do that.

"I am happy where I am, it fits the bill for me. I am enjoying the experience and I'm learning a hell of a lot. I owe a lot to these guys."

Wilkinson has not started a Test for England since the Six Nations clash with Scotland in March, after a shoulder injury kept him out of the autumn internationals.

During that period, he saw his international points record surpassed by New Zealand No.10 Dan Carter. Former Newcastle understudy Toby Flood also assumed the role of England's first choice fly-half during Wilkinson's layoff.

England have previously made dire threats about the harm players risked to their international prospects by moving to France, only to select the likes of Andy Goode, whose career was revived by a cross-Channel move.

Wilkinson is not the only current England player in France, with back-rower James Haskell appearing for Paris-based Stade Francais.

For Wilkinson, renowned as one of the greatest defensive No.10s in Test history, a club versus country row is one thing he'd rather not tackle.

"It's something I don't want to get involved in," he said.

Toulon coach Philippe Saint-Andre suggested recently that Wilkinson could eventually return home in time to play in the 2015 World Cup in England, when the outside-half will be 36.

"Jonny is very happy with us. Maybe he will play two years with us and if he is still fit and happy he will then go back to England to play in the next World Cup in England in 2015.

"I can see why they (the RFU) are doing this. The next World Cup is in England and they want to be in control of the players."

aap

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It seems a little hypocritical of the RFU to take players from any country and make it somewhat difficult for them to effectively play for their own country (yes, these days they do release most players, but only at short lead times to matches) while now saying the best English players will have to play in England.
    Trying to have it both ways it seems to me.
    I support Australia's stance of only playing Australia based players, but only because of the policy (which has admittedly weakened in recent years, hopefully to revert as depth developes) of having the vast majority of each provincial team as Australian origin players too.
    If Australia's best players had to compete with the best of International Rugby for a Super contract then I wouldn't mind (much...) if the Wallabies came from anywhere.
    Hopefully that will never happen.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Obviously he's not too concerned with England's policies..he is 31, has reached the top of rugby's Mt Everest and seems to be enjoying his rugby (and the $$ that come with it) in France..asking for any more would be downright selfish.