Thread: Subiaco Oval name changed to Patersons Stadium

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Subiaco Oval name changed to Patersons Stadium

Subiaco Oval has been officially renamed Patersons Stadium but Subiaco Council have vowed to fight the change, describing it as an "offensive" and "short-sighted" move.

And although the internal signs at the venue can now be changed from Subiaco Oval to Patersons Stadium, the West Australian Football Commission still face a fight in getting approval for new signs around the Subiaco area.

It is believed stockbroking firm Patersons Securities have paid in the vicinity of $3.5 million over four years for the naming rights.

But City of Subiaco deputy mayor Paul Clements said the council would explore their legal options to block the move.

"We're not happy at all," Clements said.

"There's a lot of heritage at that site and I think it's very short-sighted of them to change the name of the oval.

"We find it offensive because they lease the property for no cost and so to desecrate it goes against the grain.

"We have had a lot of people telling us loud and clear to fight it and we will."

In 2003, the Subiaco Council blocked a multi-million dollar move for Subiaco Oval to be renamed Crazy John's Stadium.

WAFC chief executive Wayne Bradshaw said the naming-rights sponsorship was inevitable and would help grow grass roots football in WA.

"We think it's inevitable that stadia will need to go down the naming rights path," Bradshaw said.

"From our perspective we are trying to develop community benefits, and to do that we need some funds.

"... We now need to apply more funds to continue to have our kids actively engaged in sport.

"So naming rights is a property that's associated with a stadium and we've been looking for a number of years to achieve a naming rights sponsor."

Bradshaw hoped the naming-rights deal with Patersons would extend beyond the current term.

That will depend on the future of the venue, which could either be redeveloped or rebuilt in stages over the coming years.

The WA Government is also considering demolishing the venue and building a new stadium at a different site.

"Our aim out of this sponsorship is to have an enduring partnership with Patersons so that it can be entrenched as Patersons Stadium," Bradshaw said.

"One of the considerations we had in determining the term is a realisation that there may be a stadium change in the coming future."

Bradshaw believed the WA public would embrace the name change in time.

"We can't force the public to refer to the name Patersons, however, over time we believe the name will be entrenched and we'll achieve the outcomes we are seeking," he said.

"Look, it will be officially known as Patersons Stadium, so from the AFL and all the publications and all the promotions that are undertaken it's Patersons Stadium from today onwards."

FoxSports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    The council should look at naming rights deals - it's their stadium.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah- it really makes the WAFC look like greedy little bastards. Or at least even more greedy than when they charged the Force 2 million a season in rent on a place they got for free. Boo WAFC! Subi council should charge them 3 million a year rent if they go ahead with it. I wonder when the lease runs out.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The council should look at naming rights deals - it's their stadium.
    This is true, Coach, but there may be a clause or something in the 'lease' agreement, otherwise they could have done it long ago.
    Don't know what the big deal is; Sponsors change over time, so I'm thinking most people will refer to it as 'Subi' etc no matter who has naming rights.

Senior Player Contributor WaterBoy's Avatar
    vCash
    We (The Force) should have had naming rights when we rented it for $2 million a year. Should have been.
    "Force Stadium"

Got to love the 'member profiles', have a look...

http://www.dunsboroughdungbeetles.com/ Don't seem to have a webpage anymore so go to https://www.facebook.com/Dunsborough...tlesRugbyClub/

vCash
    Right on WB, for that price we should have got breakfast and premium drinks as well.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe the council should look into whether the name is preserved within the lease agreement...it would be well funny if it gave them grounds to revoke the lease.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    .it would be well funny if it gave them grounds to revoke the lease.

Now that would be funny

vCash
    I wonder what inducements were there for the City of Subi to grant the WAFC a peppercorn lease in the first place? Are the ratepayers getting a fair return on their asset? They (WAFC) have been saying that the monies raised will be used to fund grass roots footy. That is exactly what they bragged in the press they were doing with the rent money from Rugby WA. Wonder why they need a new source of funding?

There's a message there - be careful who you piss off with your arrogance. The irony is tasty.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    With all this new income, plus the old stuff, they should be able to totally redevelop and upgrade the ground the exact way they want it without any assitance from the Government

Subi Oval will always be known as Subi Oval

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I wonder what inducements were there for the City of Subi to grant the WAFC a peppercorn lease in the first place? ...
    Exclusive rights on the parking fines....

vCash
    Wow, so much hype over this change. Its just a stadium name and it brings in some easy cash. The council has better things to worry about.

Also, if the only argument against this change is that it's "offensive". Then there is no argument against the change.

I'm also offended by the pathetic facilities at Subi, as well as monkey's wearing purple hats. Please fix both or i'll keep whinging. Flawless argument....