Thread: Looks like Graham Henry hasn't learned anything

vCash

Looks like Graham Henry hasn't learned anything

As many as 40 New Zealand players will be rested through the Super Rugby and TriNations tournaments in order to keep them fresh for the world cup.

Full article here
    http://www.super-rugby.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=27109
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Excellent

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Well at least he is not giving up on a plan just because it didn't work out the first time...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Well at least he is not giving up on a plan just because it didn't work out the first time...
    Yep, let's not let experience or logic get in the way of winning a World Cup.........eventually!

C'mon the

vCash
    Rather than looking for an advantage over other teams, i think NZ is looking to limit any fatigue to players in a longer than usual season.

The world cup adds more games to a players international schedule. So for the sake of consistency in a players usual program of training/matches in a year. When the world cup is on and adds more games to a players schedule, they just tell the players to start later than usual.

That would be limiting any damage done to players in a world cup season, but NZ seem to be going a step further and trying to gain an advantage out of this. They are probably sacrificing the super14, in order to work very hard in the months leading up to the world cup.

I think this isn't going to give them much advantage at all. Building up to an event can't be done on a mass scale. Each player has to be worked with individually in order to work out a program that will help him peak during the WC.

Take what swimmers do for an example. They probably pick 2 or 3 big events during the year to taper for, their coaches work out programs with them to achieve this build up. And it actually works. The other important thing is, that swimmers test their preparation, build ups and taper for events constantly so they can get it right. Trying to work out a one off build up for the world cup simply wont work.

Anyway, NZ aren't exactly taking any big risks in what they are doing. They are mostly just keeping guys who are playing in the world cup, playing the same number of games in a season by shifting their programs around during a world cup year to limit player fatigue. Those teams forcing players to player a bigger schedule during a world cup year can only really be disadvantaged by that decision. (Not that NZ have an advantage with their option either...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    Take what swimmers do for an example. They probably pick 2 or 3 big events during the year to taper for, their coaches work out programs with them to achieve this build up. And it actually works. The other important thing is, that swimmers test their preparation, build ups and taper for events constantly so they can get it right. Trying to work out a one off build up for the world cup simply wont work.
    But swimming, or athletics, is based on what you can do against the clock - the presence of other swimmers in the pool is (sort of) incidental. They could just swim one after another and the result would largely be the same. Team sports, and especially ball sports, are more about teamwork than pure fitness.

And in a contact ball sport, like rugby, being rested for half a season and then coming back into matches where you're playing against fully fit opponents (especially fully fit opponents from rival countries) risks injury, which won't help preparation.

I'm all for players being battle-hardened - they can have a rest after the WC (hopefully they've earned it!) If you don't want them burned out, give them light training sessions where you concentrate on set pieces, but don't pull them out of competitive matches.

vCash
    I think this is going to be a fair bit different to the 2007 situation though, in 2007 the players were pulled out to partake in a conditioning program for the first portion of the season, this would appear as though he purely wants to rest them throughout the season to prevent player burnout.

I tend to agree with that theory, players need to rest at certain points throughout the season due to the toll of physical fatigue, they might need that extra week to overcome a niggling injury before it turns into something more serious, even mental fatigue for some of the younger players, some pepole get run down playing regular top flight rugby, it gets harder and harder to build yourself up for matches.

I would be very surprised if we dont see quite a few Australian players rested throughout the season, but expect the australian coaches to be a bit more tactful and say the player has a 'niggling injury', just to keep the broadcasters and sponsors from getting upset.

vCash
    Yeah, I'm not arguing against keeping players well conditioned in the leadup t the cup. But I read it to be similar to the 2007 situation. I'll have to have another look at the story to be sure.

IMHO it's vital that the team be battle hardened before the pool games start, because we all know how easy it is to go through to the semis without playing a top ten team at all........(not looking at anybody South Africa)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    But swimming, or athletics, is based on what you can do against the clock - the presence of other swimmers in the pool is (sort of) incidental. They could just swim one after another and the result would largely be the same. Team sports, and especially ball sports, are more about teamwork than pure fitness.
    A players build up program should still be an individual one, or else it will be hardly effective. All i'm saying is that the best athletes in the world at preparing for major events do it on an individual scale, rather than a mass scale.

And in a contact ball sport, like rugby, being rested for half a season and then coming back into matches where you're playing against fully fit opponents (especially fully fit opponents from rival countries) risks injury, which won't help preparation.
    Neither will playing more games in the build up to a major event. Also, i don't think the players are going to be unfit for the super14 when they return, in fact these guys are almost always fit.

I'm all for players being battle-hardened - they can have a rest after the WC (hopefully they've earned it!) If you don't want them burned out, give them light training sessions where you concentrate on set pieces, but don't pull them out of competitive matches.
    These guys could train all year long and not get fatigued. It is the match schedule that burns them out. Starting later in the year will only help the players in terms of fatigue management.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always got.

Go for it Kiwis

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Premature Capitulation

vCash
    I wouldn't write off the All Blacks for the World Cup just yet, though. Henry must have considered 2007 and decided there were other factors in their failure, because say what you like about the guy, he's not stupid.

Interestingly, despite resting their 'starting 22' for a few rounds of the Super 14, NZ still got 2 teams in the finals (Crusaders and Blues) and the Chiefs only just missed out. Meanwhile, Australia had the Brumbies (5th), Force (7th) and Tahs and Reds in 13th and 14th.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Good chance for a Bledisloe victory then!

coz Stone Cold says so