Thread: 2010 Southern States Championships

vCash

2010 Southern States Championships

The Perth XV and WA State U20’s have enjoyed a successful campaign at the Southern State Championships held in Adelaide having gone undefeated against opponents from Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia.
    The U20’s kicked things off on Friday with a 61 point victory against Tasmania with Michael Lees scoring three of the side’s 11 tries. RugbyWA Academy player Kyle Godwin crossed for a five pointer and booted four conversions.

The Perth XV kick started their tournament on Saturday and replicated the U20’s scoring threat by plundering 69 points against Victoria with 2010 PG Hampshire winner Dave Cloete registering two tries, seven conversions and a drop goal.

Both the U20’s and the Perth XV were in action on the final day of the tournament and both rounded out their matches in style.

The U20’s scored five tries to defeat Victoria by 17 points while in the open division the Perth XV recorded the most emphatic victory of the championships with a 78-0 victory against the host state.

2010 KWIK Premier Grade leading try scorer, Nathan Hunt, plundered five tries as the West Aussies crossed 12 times while keeping the South Australian’s scoreless.

Friday, 1 October
    U20’s
    Western Australian 69 (Tries: Michael Lees 3, Bruce Smith-Wright, Nick Haining 2, Kyle Godwin, Eric Vasukicakau, Stefan Cooper, Olivier Bassaic 1; Conversions: Kyle Godwin 4, Dane Jobe 3)
    Tasmania 8.

Saturday, 2 October
    OPEN DIVISION
    PERTH XV 69 (Tries: Dave Cloete, Nathan Hunt, Zac Holmes 2, Keiran Stringer, Anare Koliavu, JP Pretorius, Ammon Matuatu 1; Conversions: Dave Cloete 7; Drop goal: Dave Cloete 1
    Victoria 5

Sunday, 3 October
    U20's
    Western Australia 29 (Tries: Bruce Smith-Wright, Ash Mullen, Troy Skiba, Eric Vasukicakau, Dane Jobe 1; Conversions: Kyle Godwin 2)
    Victoria 12

OPEN DIVISION
    PERTH XV 78 (Tries: Nathan Hunt 5, Lance Hamilton, Zac Holmes 2, Ryan Hodson, JP Pretorius, Ammon Matuatu; Conversions: Dave Cloete 7, Anare Koliavu, Zac Holmes 1)
    Adelaide 0

2010 Southern State Championships

Friday, 1 October
    11:00 Game 1 U/20 WA 69 Tas 8
    12:30 Game 2 U/20 SA 25 Vic 32
    14:00 Game 3 Open SA 27 Vic 64

Saturday, 2 October
    11:00 Game 4 Open Vic 5 WA 69

Sunday, 3 October
    11:00 Game 5 U/20 SA 13 Tas 0
    12:30 Game 6 U/20 WA 29 Vic 12
    14:00 Game 7 Open SA 0 WA 78

RugbyWA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    The ARU and State bodies need to decide what to do about grass roots rugby. With the cream of club rugby on show from WA, Victoria and SA, this championship was a total fizzer. The field was hard and poorly prepared, there were more supporters there from WA than any other State and zero atmosphere one would expect for a Southern States Championship.

Both Victorian and South Australian senior teams would have struggled to beat any of our top 6 Premier Grade teams. Have we improved that much? or Have their cattle and skills disappeared?

For an event where our best players were hoping to see where they stood on an inter state stage, it was a huge let down.

Rookie
    vCash
    Um... They did see where the stood. They were clearly the best. But this really isn't that new. I can remember that in the Aus Rugby Shield days Perth Gold being very good. No surprise both WA teams easily won. I have been told that year on year since the Force the overall quality of the Kwik Cup has risen as has the quality of the junior's. Perhaps it's time RugbyWA looked to enter a Perth Select team in the Shute Shield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClass View Post
    Um... They did see where the stood. They were clearly the best. But this really isn't that new. I can remember that in the Aus Rugby Shield days Perth Gold being very good. No surprise both WA teams easily won. I have been told that year on year since the Force the overall quality of the Kwik Cup has risen as has the quality of the junior's. Perhaps it's time RugbyWA looked to enter a Perth Select team in the Shute Shield.
    with the number of Western Force players who are playing in that comp, we would be very competitive!.....but there wouldn't be many places for the local players!

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    with the number of Western Force players who are playing in that comp, we would be very competitive!.....but there wouldn't be many places for the local players!
    Granted. However, with the expansion of Super Rugby most if not all the Force squad will be unable to regularly participate in the Shute Shield in the future. That would open the door to next level player's and more importantly local Academy player's to play at a higher more competitive level and bring their development on quicker. Either that or have RugbyWA lead a push for the re-instatment of a ARc or ARS.

Champion
    vCash
    Leave the Force Players in their respective Sydney teams and take over a Perth Gold Team to compete in the Shute Shield. Biggest problem would be finding the money, location and time?

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Leave the Force Players in their respective Sydney teams and take over a Perth Gold Team to compete in the Shute Shield. Biggest problem would be finding the money, location and time?
    That would actually be a better option. Though as you state funding the damn thing would be hard.

Veteran
    vCash
    could you imagine put over 20 people up for a whole season? would be prohibitively expensive...

vCash
    Wonder if the Sydney clubs would be prepared to travel just once a year each? Doubt it, but it would be a great option if sponsorship/funding could be found. If they won't be in it, what about Brisbane? Even Collingwood travel more than that -just.

Why was the original "developing states" type format changed, I wonder? The one where NT and Qld & NSW Country teams competed. Funding cuts ? I remember some great victories won by WA back then.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    Shasta, the Aus Rugby Shield. Thought it was a great grassroots championship. Would like to see it come back with all the original teams plus NSW & QLD suburban teams. Was cut as a cost saving measure.

vCash

here is a Facebook link to some photos
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1455615052

Champion
    vCash
    Pieter - there is some huge talent in that group. With the exception of Captain and Prop, rest of forward pack would be 20 to 23 years old and they dominated. Outside backs just carved up. In 160 mins of Rugby only one unconverted try scored against them.

With some more quality coaching and competition, these boys would give most Sydney clubs a pretty good shake - especially those Sydney clubs chockers with S15 and Wallaby players.

vCash
    Looks like the biggest bunch of homosexuals I've ever seen.

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    And no doubt, with your lifestyle, you've seen a few ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Hardcore View Post
    Looks like the biggest bunch of homosexuals I've ever seen.
    With the obvious exception of your rugby mates
    Posted via Mobile Device