Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Conundrum! What to do with the Forces Back Row?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd also play whoever signs first.
    I really don't think contract negotiations should influence selection. I dread to think that the Wallabies persisted with Cooper at 10 just to get him to sign a 1 year deal. He never did enough to justify his selection IMHO.

Even if one of the backrowers decides to leave, I cannot think that any of them would not put in 100% effort regardless - it would be insulting to them to think otherwise. As for combinations for the following season, there will be ample time to establish those.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think it would be silly to play McCalman at lock, its already been identified that the Force need to develop a new leading lock to cover for Sharpe in the coming years, McCalman isnt the person to fulfill this role, he is a outright backrower and playing him at lock in the Super Rugby series stands to harm his selection chances at Wallaby level.

Brown lacks the punch to play number 8 at test level, but his workrate at S15 level is awesome and justifies his inclusion, you cant leave him out. You cant leave Pocock out for obvious reasons.
    So basically it comes down to Hodgson vs McCalman, I think Hodgsons only weakness will keep him in the team here, his somewhat small stature means he is unable to cover as many positions as McCalman. Which means having McCalman on the bench provides better coverage then Hodgson.

However, the Super Rugby series in 2011 is quite a bit longer, a rotation policy is inevitably what will be used. A backrow of Pocock, Brown, McCalman for the bigger South African teams and a smaller backrow for the Australian/New Zealand teams. Also, for the sake of Pocock, i hope they rest him a few times throughout 2011, he can be easily substituted by Hodgson.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    With a rotation policy David Pocock coming off the bench for the last 20-25 minutes of a game would definitely have psychological and physical impacts on the poor team we are playing at the time. Would hate to be the opposition flyhalf, your ribs would be rattling!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I see some very hungry backrowers desperate for a starting spot and some black and blue 10's around the globe.

The bench will have impact

If we could get a backline that could catch, pass and tackle, we might win some games

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    However, the Super Rugby series in 2011 is quite a bit longer, a rotation policy is inevitably what will be used. A backrow of Pocock, Brown, McCalman for the bigger South African teams and a smaller backrow for the Australian/New Zealand teams. Also, for the sake of Pocock, i hope they rest him a few times throughout 2011, he can be easily substituted by Hodgson.
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. 3 games starting and one on the bench in a rotation should keep everyone happy. I don't want to see Pocock exhausted by the time the world cup comes around.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. 3 games starting and one on the bench in a rotation should keep everyone happy. I don't want to see Pocock exhausted by the time the world cup comes around.
    Well....it wouldn't be so much a 'rotation' as tailoring your skills to suit your opponent. It wouldn't impact on Bam anyway. He's an automatic, unchallenged inclusion for #7, it'd be Brownie, Hodgeo and Ben who would be shuffling.

I agree, Hodgeson and Brown would be best suited to the agile teams and McCalman and Hodgeson for the bigger, stronger ones.

C'mon the

vCash
    My first 3 would be Hodgo, Pocock and McCalmum. No offense to Brown, he's still quality in my book but those three this previous S14 were simply unstoppable. But like TOCC said, a rotational policy for such a long season is definitely the way to go.

Hodgson is still so underrated. I rate him ahead of Brown, who he's sitting on the bench for currently. It's without logic. McCalmum should not be put in lock though.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Injuries will sort this situation out - then we will be happy we have 4 awesome backrowers.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    after this last year.. you can shove "injuries" where they fit best...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2