Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conundrum! What to do with the Forces Back Row?

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

Conundrum! What to do with the Forces Back Row?

Well ladies and gents the Forces development of back rowers for the Walabies continues to shine brightly with a solid performance form the newest player to be introduced to the international arena. Ben McCalman over the last 2 games has shown that he is more than capable in all facets of number 8 play. He tackles hard, ran good straight lines whilst making the gain line and his decision to run off the back of the scrum to offload to JOC was not something I was looking for in a first year test rookie. I can only think that he will improve immensely on the spring tour and throughout the super tournament next year.

So where to from here, we now have 4 Wallabies back rowers at the Force. Who gets a starting jersey, which gets played out of position? Obviously Pocock is an automatic selection at 7 for the Force as he is for the Wallabies. Matt Hodgeson is a 7 playing out of position at 6/8, as most people agree he is a tad small to play these positions but at Super level gets away with it due to his other more than adequate abilities. Richard Brown is a good destructive ball runner and a hard man in defence for the Force, his form for the Wallabies has left a bit to be desired but he is fighting above his weight division in the international arena. Ben McCalman has proven himself as an 8, towards the end of the Forces year he play in the second row to accommodate the return of the injured players but is this the best move for the Force and potentially for the Wallabies next year?

Does the Richard Graham potentially put a one of them on the bench?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice problem to have.

vCash
    McCalman at 5, Hodgson at 6 Pocock at 7 Brown at 8

vCash
    Yea McCalman can fit in at lock. But chances are we will have injuries from time to time like last season, so they should all get a go in the backrow at some point.

vCash
    Two points.

First - McCalman is going to use the EOYT to establish himself as a Wallaby No.8 or at least number 1 back up to Palu. Having gained that stature he could rightly expect the Force to allow him to use next years S15 to continue to develop his game in the back row.
    If the Force instead decide to use him as a stop-gap measure in the second row he may well decide to move to a club that will accomodate him when his contract runs out. If he proves to be a Wallaby revelation then lets at least try to accomodate him.

Secondly - we keep acknowledging that Sharpie wont be around forever so we need to develop a couple of career second-rowers (apparently they dont grow on trees).
    I think this is the year that Tom Hockings needs to either step-up or ship out. The only way he is going to be able to step-up is to get some regular game time.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd keep playing McCalman at 8. He has great aggression and is our best backrower in the line-out. Give the 6 spot to Brown or Hodgson. I'd say Brown personally but that depends on form.

I agree with Todd that our locks need more game time. I'd play Hockings against the bruisers (South Africans + Highlanders + Waratahs) and Wykes against the runners (Kiwis + Brumbies + Reds).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    it would all depend on who we play from week to week as to the make up of the back and second row. Its a nice problem to have but Hockings and Wykes really needs to step it up a level or 2.
    At this stage I prefer to see Mccalman starting at 8 and to be honest i much prefer hodgo to start at 6 then browny. more a Personal preference then any properly reasoned decision.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Nice position to be in - two 7s, two 8s, three 5s and 6s. For mine, Hockings, Brown, Pocock and McCalman to start, Wykes and Hodgeson on the bench, all with rotation. It is going to be a long year and we will get injuries, so they'll all see plenty of ball.

vCash
    How would brown dog go as a hooker?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Or Hodgo as a prop?

Player
    vCash
    Hocking
    Sharpe
    Hodgson
    Pocock
    McCalman

Brown

We will probably lose one of Brown, McCalman, Pocock and Hodgson unfortunately. And to be fair, I would prioritise keeping McCalman, Pocock and Hodgson.

Its a bugger as I want them all to stay!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    What happens when you add Jono Jenkins to that list?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    What happens when you add Jono Jenkins to that list?
    What happens is that you have a strong bench well stocked for the contingencies of injuries - something we have not had for a while - if ever!

vCash

Back row

Hi All
    Yes Great position to be in with some awesome players but as you all mention its a long season and we need to do some rotation and maybe give the 4th person on the bench each week the last 20 to 25 mins so each player would get 3 x 80 min games then a 20 to 25 min of play every 4th start. This would give equal game time to everyone and keep all in with the play Plus a rest. I feel this should be done with all our reserves so we can keep good players and it also gives all players the start and helps blood the rookies.

It would also keeps all players intouch with the game play

Just a thought

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd also play whoever signs first. At the moment I think McCalman, Hodgson, Brown and Jenkins will be off contract at the end of the season. Give them time when they've signed. I think that Hodgson will stay but I imagine the Reds will be pushing really hard to get Brown over there. Not sure what'll happen with McCalman- maybe it'll depend on what Palu does and whether he wants to go back to NSW or stay in WA (the place to be).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast