Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: David Nucifora casts doubt on dual-coaching role for Richard Graham

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

David Nucifora casts doubt on dual-coaching role for Richard Graham

David Nucifora casts doubt on dual-coaching role for Richard Graham

DAVID Nucifora has indicated Richard Graham will not be able to continue as Wallabies assistant coach and also be Western Force head coach.

Graham, who is Australia's skills coach and Force's assistant coach, was set to become the Perth-based side's head coach in 2012, but that will be brought forward following the early release of foundation coach John Mitchell to guide South Africa's Lions.
    While the ARU does not have any official policy, it has never approved provincial head coaches being part of the Wallabies' coaching staff.
    “It's highly unlikely,” ARU high-performance manager Nucifora said when asked if Graham could do both jobs.
    “We haven't been down that path before.
    “Richard is contracted to the ARU. We released him to work with the Force because we thought it would be beneficial to him and the Force. This is a whole different matter.”
    Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Nucifora said he would contact the Force to discuss a time-frame for Graham's departure from the Wallabies.
    The issue is whether Graham leaves at the end of the Tri-Nations tournament after the Test against the All Blacks in Sydney on Saturday week or whether he stays on for the tour of Hong Kong and Europe in October-November.
    “We will sit down with the Force and have a discussion about what is best for the Force and the Wallabies in relation to Richard's situation,” Nucifora said.
    “We have to consider both parties and work something out. We'll start chatting over the next few days and try to get a resolution.
    “We have to look at the time-frame. Does a replacement come in prior to the spring tour or after the tour?”
    Nucifora said the ARU and coach Robbie Deans had to decide in what area of the game the team needed extra coaching.
    But he admitted many potential candidates would be unavailable because they would be contracted to European and Japanese teams.
    “The first thing we need to do is look at our needs and requirements,” Nucifora said. “Who is available?
    “The European season has just started and people are tied up.”
    There are several coaches who are already working for the ARU in different capacities who could replace Graham as a skills and backs coach.
    Former Wallabies outside centre Michael O'Connor is coaching the Australian sevens team and has previously served as a national selector, Anthony Eddy is Nucifora's deputy at the HPU and assisted him with the Australian under-20s and ex-Test winger and Sydney University coach Rob Egerton will become the Wallabies team manager on the spring tour.
    “There are lots of names who spring to mind,” Nucifora said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225913506158

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    So,Nucifora is the new spokesman for the ARU?

I think the guy is angling for Graham's spot

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't see why Graham couldn't continue on with the coming Spring tour. If John Mitchell hadn't gone to the Lions, Mitch would've been off with Japan as part of the David Hill agreement. Graham would then still be a Wallabies assistant coach and we wouldn't have had anyone back until November. No stress.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    i reckon its probably in the best interest of the Western Force and Graham for him drop the Wallaby role to focus on the Force, however, i don't see it been a absolute necessity to do so.

Coaches do it in the NRL(QLD,NSW and Kangaroos), however many do 'resign' to focus on there club as well.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post

Gee Gits wouldn’t be happy with that would he?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post

Well, he is the manager of the HPU, responsible for contracting etc.......he's essentially the HR guy, and probably has a role in the process.

I agree with TOCC, that Graham's role with the Wallabies will do more damage to his Force commitments than vice versa. If he does go on Spring tour he will be absent for much of the pre season stuff, which generally begins about that time. OTOH much of that stuff is strength/fitness work which is handled by the Strength and Conditioning unit, but it's always good to have the head coach on tap when any prep is being done.

Hopefully, now that we have a great looking forwards unit, a backs coach like Graham will turn the boys into a complete side!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So TOCC, it's ok to be with the Wallabies in Europe on tour with Test match pressures a couple of months out from the season, but not with the Lions in South Africa on your holiday break?
    I think that he would have to be standing down at the end of the 3N to allow a clear break bith for himself and his replacement pre NH.

I wonder if he (edit: Graham or Mitchell for that matter) now has to go to Japan as part of the "David Hill agreement" James

Last edited by Burgs; 03-09-10 at 11:37.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

I wonder if he (edit: Graham or Mitchell for that matter) now has to go to Japan as part of the "David Hill agreement" James
    I'll bet the Lions have sorted that one out

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    So TOCC, it's ok to be with the Wallabies in Europe on tour with Test match pressures a couple of months out from the season, but not with the Lions in South Africa on your holiday break?
    I think that he would have to be standing down at the end of the 3N to allow a clear break bith for himself and his replacement pre NH.

Yeah that will be interesting won't it. I imagine he won't.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash

Firstly i said it is in the best interest of the Force and Graham to step down from the Wallaby role, secondly, presuming a expanded Wallaby squad goes on the EOYT, the Force could have between as many as 5-10 players in the squad. In which case, Graham has hands on with arguably the bulk of the key players in the squad, something no other S14 coach has the benefit of.

vCash
    Sorry guys, it's really hard to see the options as anything other than a coin toss. He's not going to be hugely involved with the fitness component of preseason, but he wouldn't be all that heavily involved anyway. He's going to have his mind on the Force when coaching the Wallabies, but he's only the skills coach. His job on the tour will be to keep the passing slick and work on a couple of speccy moves every now and again, not exactly mind-sapping stuff for a head coach elect!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Firstly i said it is in the best interest of the Force and Graham to step down from the Wallaby role, secondly, presuming a expanded Wallaby squad goes on the EOYT, the Force could have between as many as 5-10 players in the squad. In which case, Graham has hands on with arguably the bulk of the key players in the squad, something no other S14 coach has the benefit of.

You've definitely rubbed Burgs up the wrong way with that one TOCC!

Even though I tend to agree with you. Mitchell working with the Lions was not good for the Force. And Graham going on the EOYT with the Wallabies is not as bad as that. Ideally he should be in Perth, but he will have Sharpe, OConnor, Brown, Pocock, McCalman, Hodgson, maybe Cowen and Fairbrother too with him so he will have access to the leaders of the team when all other coaches lose these sorts of players.

vCash
    I agree Farva, whilst the best option is for him to probably stay in Perth, having him go on the EOYT for a month isnt nearly as bad as JM working in RSA for 3 months.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No rubbing, just clarifying which standard we would be applying.
    Seems some men are cut out to be a full time Super coach and a part time assistant coach but not others.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    chalk and cheese

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast