Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WA premier poised to make major new sport stadium announcement

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

WA premier poised to make major new sport stadium announcement

WESTERN Australian premier Colin Barnett is poised to make an announcement on the development of a new outdoor sports stadium.
    Tourism Minister Dr Liz Constable told a packed audience full of members of the travel and tourism industry at the Hyatt on Wednesday to ``watch this space’’ when quizzed about the new stadium.

``This is something that Colin Barnett has taken on and all I can say is… watch this space,’’ she said.

In 2008, then premier Alan Carpenter announced that $1.1 billion would be spent on a new stadium, with Kitchener Park as the preferred location.

However, when Mr Barnett took on the top job, he put a stop to progress on those plans, saying more time needed to be spent to consider options.

The old East Perth Power Station site continues to pop us a viable option for a new stadium and representatives of Burswood say that James Packer is still interested in considering an option for a new stadium on, or near his land.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Interesting

I wouldn't mind something at Burswood like the plan that came out just before John Langoulant handed in his report to the previous Labour Government and was dismissed as being brought to the table too late, Packer said he would fund it as well. That plan was also dismissed because the Labour Government had decided to push ahead with what they're doing down on Wellington Street.

Then again Governments don't commission people to do jobs like that without already knowing what they want to do.

How about getting rid of Belmont park racecourse and building a stadium there? The racing scene in Perth is not significant enough to warrant to grounds

vCash
    Ah yes, the Burswood site would be ideal. All for the loss of a couple of fairways...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Constable
    Dr Constable said that while many people called out for sporting events to dominate the event’s calendar, statistics showed that worldwide, arts and culture attracted more people to them than sport.
    I'm not so sure about that, Arts and Culture might attract more people as a one-off activity, however Regular international sporting competitions such as the Super 15 and the Tri (Soon to be 4) nations would attract more in a cumulative sense surely!

Possibly the stats are skewed by not having a stadium big enough to hold an international crowd. Subiaco only holds 43000 and is sold out every test (Except maybe Fiji) whereas Etihad holds 80000 and only got 60000 for the last Bledisloe. Maybe if we had a 60000 seat stadium, we could fill it too!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    She would be putting every arts stat to good use there Gigs, museum's, galleries, concerts, book launches, movie theaters etc...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How about getting rid of Belmont park racecourse and building a stadium there? The racing scene in Perth is not significant enough to warrant to grounds
    Ascot is a quagmire in winter apparently and would need a massive upgrade...would be money well spent I'm sure

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe get rid of Ascot then. Much closer to home for me :p

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I don't think they will be getting rid of either race track ... Belmont was built in 1899 and Ascot is considred one of the grand old ladies of Australian racecourses, holding the first Perth cup in 1887. So if they were going to get rid of them I think they would have by now

Perhaps Colin Barnett (= ) can just "compulsory acquire" some land for a new stadium ...

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzy View Post
    ...Perhaps Colin Barnett (= ) can just "compulsory acquire" some land for a new stadium ...
    Do you think he will ever take that course?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Subiaco only holds 43000 and is sold out every test (Except maybe Fiji) whereas Etihad holds 80000 and only got 60000 for the last Bledisloe. Maybe if we had a 60000 seat stadium, we could fill it too!
    Etihad only holds 55 000 people... and we only got 32 000 for the England test this year so be careful with those stats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Etihad only holds 55 000 people... and we only got 32 000 for the England test this year so be careful with those stats
    ah....retracted

C'mon the

vCash
    Perhaps Colin Barnett (= ) can just "compulsory acquire" some land for a new stadium ...
    Colin Barnett a loser eh? I hate all politicians but here's a thought- if a greens/ labour government get in & the developments up north don't go ahead, add on the increased mining tax then we can kiss goodbye to a lot of corporate money in our sport. Look at the major Force sponsors (including 3rd party player deals). Mining & oil & gas service companies take huge risks and often have to decrease margins significantly to stay in business through rougher times. Unfortunately sponsorship & local community support dollars are the first to go, which would be a shame. I'm not trying to get on a political bandwagon here & I hate being serious but if WA (wait awhile) continues trying to appease everyone by decisions by committee after committee then we're f*#ked. So go Colin- slap the do-gooders round the head & pinch a bit of land for a proper rugby stadium. Build a decent car park as well & use that to teach people how to merge. Sorry but I'm on a roll now & the Mitchell freeway just sh*ts me

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Maybe get rid of Ascot then. Much closer to home for me :p
    Belmont is rubbish

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Belmont is rubbish
    Which means, of course, that it has a lot in common with Subiaco.

vCash
    What are the odds on Barnett announcing that WA will pay for a new stadium at Kitchener Park, sized for AFL, and paid for by the sell-off of other stadia and then all the other sports* get told to use it, but not during the AFL calendar?

[*even athletics, cycling and swimming. They've got to re-coup the cost of the Perth Arena somehow!]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast