Thread: This is how Pat Dellit rolls!

Champion
    vCash

This is how Pat Dellit rolls!

A great story and a classy fullback

Force fields

JOSH CALLINAN
    26 Aug, 2010 08:26 AM
    When Patrick Dellit tore his hamstring for the second time this season, he feared it might have ended his chances of a Super 15 contract.But a day after the injury occurred while playing for Eastern Suburbs in the Shute Shield competition in Sydney on August 14, Western Force contacted the fullback.
    It was exactly what the former Maitland Blacks junior wanted to hear and following a week’s worth of negotiations he signed a two-year deal with the Force – two days after his 24th birthday.
    “As soon as I did it [my hamstring] again I thought that’s it, I’m going to miss out,” Dellit said.
    “I had done my right one [hamstring] earlier in the year and now I had done my left one, I was going to be out for two weeks and I thought I would be out of the loop.
    “But the Force rang the next day and said ‘don’t worry, we know you have done your hamstring but keep your head up because we are still looking at you’.
    “It was such a relief to hear and, following negotiations for a week, I signed on the dotted line on Monday.
    “You could say it was a pretty good weekend.”
    Born and bred in Bolwarra, he was brimming with excitement yesterday when he spoke to the Maitland Mercury.
    Dellit, now based in Sydney, was in town visiting family and friends.
    He moved away six years ago to pursue a career in rugby union after completing his HSC at All Saints College, St Mary’s Campus, Maitland.
    He represented NSW Country Schools in 2004 at the annual state championships and attracted interest from several clubs in Sydney.
    He went to Eastern Suburbs and has been there since, starting in the colts program before earning a regular spot in the first XV at fullback last year.
    He has also had stints with the Australian A rugby Sevens team, including a tour of Sri Lanka, and has been on the brink of the top flight Sevens team several times, missing out on the recent squad selected for the Commonwealth Games.
    But now his time has come.
    “It has been a long time coming and I have done it the hard way, niggles here and there, but eventually all the hard work has paid off,” Dellit said.

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/ne...s/1924130.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 26-08-10 at 17:07.

vCash
    Perhaps someone with better medical knowledge can put my mind to rest here.

He has apparently damaged both hamstrings this year. Is this a sign of things to come? Are people who 'do a hamy' more likely to have repeat hamstring problems? Once a hamstring has been damaged and then repaired is it as good as new again?

I don't want to sound like a worry wart but it is a little unsettling to think that he has had problems with both hamstrings....

vCash
    hammies are probably the most common injury faced by backs due to the massive strain in acceleration /stepping etc.. i wouldnt be worried.

vCash
    You should be very worried

It's like going to a thoroughbred yearling sale and picking the horse that is lame and paying 2million for it

That's how intelligent it is

vCash
    Delit has been carving up the shute shield this year!!! will be back playing in afew weeks so everyone can have a watch!! Finals are on the cards for East's! Hamstrings can be fine when a good rehab program is done! Nothing to worry about!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    hammies are probably the most common injury faced by backs due to the massive strain in acceleration /stepping etc.. i wouldnt be worried.
    Hmmm...maybe we should ask Tahu? Let's hope that he comes good with the sort of medical attention he'll get in a professional environment.

vCash
    The report said he'd be out for 2 weeks - that's a strain rather than a tear.

Once he gets with the Force doctors, they should be able to tailor his training, warm-up and warm-down routines to concentrate on the hamstrings. That's certainly an advantage of signing a professional contract.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    How do you pronounce his last name - and can we call him Turkish?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Turkish! Like in Snatch?

vCash
    I didn't know he was a boxing promoter.... but yes Exile a delightful idea!

Champion
    vCash
    my faith in the WF medics are not too good after 2010 with Sheps rehab and Andres efforts last season. A big risk.... its the depth of the fit players we need not depth with injury proned players... puts too much pressure on everyone.