Thread: Wallabies backrower David Pocock prepared for fired-up Springboks in Tri-Nations clas

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies backrower David Pocock prepared for fired-up Springboks in Tri-Nations clas

David Pocock prepared for fired-up Springboks in Tri-Nations clash

Whipping boy ... Wallabies breakawy David Pocock is expecting a hot welcome from the Springbok forwards in this weekend's Tri-Nations clash. Source: AP

WALLABIES warhorse David Pocock expects to again have a target on his back when he lines up against the Springboks this weekend.

The 22-year-old back-rower was battered by the forwards during his courageous performance in the Wallabies' 20-10 loss to the All Blacks in Christchurch.

But whenever he looked down for the count he got up and continued to disrupt his rivals at the breakdown.

He walked from the field looking like he had been thrown around in a cement mixer for 80 minutes and admitted it was one of the hardest Tests he had played.

"The way it happened there were a few fairly big hits," Pocock said. "But everyone really put in that game and we were really disappointed to come away with a loss.

"I was pretty sore for a couple of days and it was good to have the week off."

Pocock will inevitably receive more of the same punishment from the Springboks in Pretoria.

"You are always expecting a fair bit from the South Africans," Pocock said.

"I'm looking forward to it.

"I really enjoy playing South Africa."

Pocock knows the Springboks will be desperate after losing their first four Tri Nations games.

"That is the thing about South Africa, they are such a proud rugby nation that they will have so much pressure on them," he said.

"They are really going to lift and we are expecting them to be pretty fired up."

Despite his African background, Pocock doesn't feel any more pressure playing in South Africa.

"I grew up in Zimbabwe and while I supported the Springboks, I only lived down there for about eight months," he said.

Pocock said little things had been letting the Wallabies down. "We are getting in the right positions but we are not finishing," he said. "I don't think a whole lot has to change, it is just focusing on the smaller details."

Pocock's effectiveness at the breakdown makes him a key for the Wallabies in their bid to beat the Springboks.

"With the change in rules you get to hold on to the ball for a lot longer, so the breakdown is very important.

"And in attack if you can look after the ball it puts a lot of pressure on the defending team, so I think that really is the key."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225908572907

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bless..What a Man...What a Player....He always gives his all, and constantly puts his body on the line...with total disregard for his own safety.....Wish we had more players swith his committment!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!