Thread: PIVOTAL ACQUISITION FOR THE FORCE

vCash

PIVOTAL ACQUISITION FOR THE FORCE

The Emirates Western Force has landed one of rugby’s most exciting young playmakers with New Zealand Maoris representative Willie Ripia heading to Western Australia for the next two Super rugby seasons.

Ripia has notched 30 Super rugby appearances and at just 24 years of age will add to the club’s list of quality young stars. He joins the Emirates Western Force as a foreign development player after committing his international future to Australian Rugby.

“It was no secret that finding a quality flyhalf was top of the list in our off season recruiting and in Willie we believe we have achieved just that,” RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said.

“Willie is an exciting young player who has the added benefit of experience at Super rugby level. He has something special about him and will add that ‘X’ factor to our attack.

“In the short history of the Emirates Western Force we’ve been able to develop some of the most promising young players in the game. Willie has already put on display his enormous talent but he also has plenty more to show given the right opportunities.

“He was able to spend some time in Perth last month and proved himself to be a terrific young man. He can see what we’re about and the encouraging prospects of the Force squad and is keen to be part of that development,” said Reid.

After nine matches for the Hurricanes in 2010, Ripia played his part in the New Zealand Maori tour wins against England and Ireland and is currently playing in the NPC with Taranaki where he has booted 38 points in the opening three weeks.

He made his Super rugby debut for the Highlanders as a second half substitute against the Emirates Western Force in 2006 and was the starting pivot for the Canes when the Force travelled to Wellington earlier this year.

“Getting game time and playing in my preferred position at first five-eighth was a huge incentive for me, along with the new challenge the move to Perth presents,” Ripia said of his decision to join the Force.

“I’ve been in and around the New Zealand system for a while now and thought it was time to challenge myself and my football. I think this is the right move personally and I’m determined to prove it’ll be the right move for the Force as well.

“In the time I spent looking at the club and meeting the people there I could see the great culture they’ve built, that is something I’m really big on. It was definitely one of the big drivers for me to sign on.”

Ripia said Wallabies great Stephen Larkham and All Blacks flyhalf Carlos Spencer were his inspirations while growing up and is a keen exponent of free running rugby. Vocal on the field he is looking forward to joining a backline boasting the try scoring potency and experience of Cameron Shepherd and Scott Staniforth mixed with rising stars including James O’Connor.

“There are a lot of great young players coming through now at the Force. I’m looking forward to linking up with the team and developing some really strong combinations,” said Ripia.

“In terms of how I’ve gone about my rugby I think the first thing people would probably say is I never stop talking,” he laughed.

“In all seriousness, I love controlling and directing the play, I think they’re probably my best assets but I don’t mind having a step now and then and taking the ball into contact.”

A New Zealand Under 19s and Under 21s representative, Ripia will be eligible to play for the Wallabies after three years in Australia. While he’d be delighted to pull on the green and gold should the opportunity arise his first port of call is helping the Force climb the Super rugby ladder.

“I haven’t given a lot of thought about much else other than wanting to do my best for the Force. If I can be consistently good for my club then other opportunities might come around but I’m focussed on doing a job for my team right now,” Ripia said

After living all his life in the rugby centric land of the long white cloud, Ripia is enthusiastic about sharing his passion for the game and is excited about being part of the expansion of the code throughout WA.

“Rugby receives plenty of attention in New Zealand and the players like to get out and about and that is something I’m looking forward to doing in Perth as well. I know there is a really strong supporter base for the game, and for the Force, and I’ll be doing everything I can to help boost the profile in the community. I definitely want to get out and meet our supporters.”

Name: Willie Ripia
    Position: Flyhalf
    Date of Birth: 20 August 1985
    Height: 1.78m
    Weight: 91kg
    Super rugby: 30 games (Highlanders 1, Hurricanes 29)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 16-08-10 at 15:03.

vCash
    good signing

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    notice nothing in his quotes about playing under Mitchell's guidance

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitchell had lunch with him on 1st July.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Mitchell had lunch with him on 1st July.

Are you sure....??? Mitch said to me at the lunch on the 2nd he didn't arrive from South Africa for the Awards Night until the Thursday night? He flew out again on an evening flight after the awards, he left about 9pm...???
    Could be wrong however..been drunk a few times since, and traveled to the sother side of the world to boot!!!

Last edited by hertryk; 16-08-10 at 18:39.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    notice nothing in his quotes about playing under Mitchell's guidance
    The conspiracy theorist. Your shares portfolio must be tanking.

I bet the kiwi is better value than Kid dynacast

Now, how about we plunder the bok under 21's as well. At least the boks can put a sentence together without a diatribe of "bro's", "cuzzies", and "chilli bins" and the boks don't cover themselves with maybelline and mascara and put pretty ribbons in their dreddies

Controversy corner