Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies star Quade Cooper conducting talks with Parramatta Eels

vCash
    What about quade and stephany rice, you the man quade... I was hitting that a few months back and she aint easily pleased. Had to up my protein intake 300%

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Krisnan Inu and Feleti Mateo must be pretty pissed.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    heard from my "unnamed source" that cooper is genuinely pissed off with the ARU offer,& will walk if it is not increased.There is one particular aspect of the offer(which I wont go into here as the press may pick up on it)which needs to be adjusted before Cooper will sign
    this saga is not over

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd wager its a behaviour clause.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd wager its a behaviour clause.
    no its not,actually

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    heard from my "unnamed source" that cooper is genuinely pissed off with the ARU offer,& will walk if it is not increased.There is one particular aspect of the offer(which I wont go into here as the press may pick up on it)which needs to be adjusted before Cooper will sign
    this saga is not over
    You spelt sauce wrong.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I hate ketchup

vCash
    Sauces ain't sources, Sol.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    sounds like BBQ flavour..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cooper mystery driven by one of the seven deadly sins

Cooper mystery driven by one of the seven deadly sins

* Wayne Smith
    * August 21, 2010 12:00AM

FOR the past week Quade Cooper and his reputation have taken a battering.

How easy it has been to portray him as a money-grubbing upstart too big for his look-at-me white footy boots.

The rugby websites have been clogged with criticism of him. Fox Sports commentator Brendan Cannon noted on air that the Wallabies five-eighth looks like "a greedy guy". One regular correspondent suggested in an email that the game would be better served if the ARU just let Cooper "f-off to Parra where he belongs".

Yet, right from the beginning, nothing about the whole Quade Cooper saga has quite stacked up. How on earth did a well-paid high-profile footballer land himself in the predicament of being charged with burglary? Why, one year out from a World Cup that has his name written all over it, would he start shopping himself around the rugby league clubs -- especially after he had earlier this year rejected a $1 million-a-season offer to play rugby in France? If it wasn't about the money then, why had it suddenly become all about the money now?

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

These days every major public scandal is soon distilled down to one of the seven deadly sins or a combination thereof. But which ones applies here? Lust? Well, he is a healthy 22-year-old male but so far he appears to have kept his libido in check. Gluttony? No, Cooper's skin folds are as good as ever. Sloth? Hardly, not with him regularly alerting his Twitter fans about his many trips to training and the gym. Pride? Maybe, but he certainly doesn't come across in his tweets or media interviews as anything other than a humble, even a reserved young man.

So that just leaves wrath, envy and greed, all admittedly outstanding ingredients for a media pot-boiler. So here's how it was scripted: angry at the Australian Rugby Union for not treating him like a superstar and envious of what Matt Giteau is earning, Cooper greedily had gone chasing a piece of the action.

It was neat, it was believable and it was wrong.

It wasn't Giteau Cooper initially was comparing himself to but a former Wallaby, three years out of the Australian side who, he discovered, had received an ARU contract top-up $30,000 better than what he had been offered. We're not talking Dan Vickerman here, incidentally, but a mid-range player that Robbie Deans decided right from the outset he didn't want.

Wrath? What office worker in the midst of salary reviews wouldn't be angry to make such a discovery, especially after having just been named Employee of the Year, which effectively is what Cooper's Australian Super 14 Player of the Year award amounts to.

No one can blame the ARU for playing hardball in its contract negotiations. These are, after all, difficult financial times. But if that's so, then why has the ARU splashed out on top-ups to a range of players Deans has shown no interest in?

If money was so tight, why was it not targeted on the players deemed most valuable?

Arguably, in Cooper's case, other factors may have applied, like his dodgy disciplinary record. It might well be that the ARU was low-balling him because of his involvement in a childish food fight in Canberra last year, his stupidity in driving without a licence and, of course, the infamous alleged burglary.

But this week new light was shed on what might have triggered Cooper's bewildering behaviour on the night of Peter Hynes' bucks party. It emerged that Cooper had taken a Wallabies-supplied sleeping pill on the Singapore-Brisbane leg of the flight home from the spring tour and basically gone straight from the airport to the party. The Australian Rugby Union has counselled players about the use of sleeping pills but it's possible Cooper might have been Twittering during the lecture and missed the bit about not mixing them with alcohol. Or, given that he had taken them on the nights before Test matches to help him sleep, he might have been aware of the alcohol factor but wrongly presumed the drug was no longer in his system.

The phrase "duty of care" raises its head at this point and then gently lowers it again. Thankfully, the alleged burglary went off without anyone getting hurt but what if Cooper, his behaviour distorted by a pill that can have weird side-effects, had bashed someone, or worse?

Of course, there is a less complicated explanation -- that the pill had had no effect whatever and that Cooper's utterly out-of-character behaviour on the night was solely the result of hitting the booze too hard at the end of a month-long tour in which two beers would have constituted a big night out. Had he acted more responsibly, none of this would have happened.

Whatever, he was in a bind and the ARU took full advantage of it by offering him a contract that was the negotiating equivalent of a slap in the face. At that point, he did what any other employee in his position would have done -- he started sending out his resume.

It's history now that the Parramatta Eels showered him with love. Let's not laugh at that. Had the ARU shown Vickerman a little more love -- "$20,000 extra plus an appreciative phone call is all it would have taken", according to one person close to those 2008 negotiations -- he might never have wandered off to Cambridge.

Suddenly, faced with a serious competitor, Cooper's employers started showing more interest. The dynamic had shifted. He was now the one negotiating from a position of strength and who could blame him for playing a bit of hardball himself?

Cooper may be many things, naive, self-centred, even needy. But a money-grubber?

Like so many other elements of this saga, it doesn't quite stack up.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225907980890

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Sleeping pills are not a crime-inducing drug.

Drinking alcohol on top of taking 'powerful sleeping pills' has the effect of multiplying the effect of the sleeping pills and would have made the bozo so drowsy that he would not have been able to kick down a door.

I think they have released this story because it impicates the ARU for supplying the drug to Quade and want to give the impression that it wasn't really his fault.

It is very convenient that they wont name the medication. A sleeping tablet that causes violent temper outbursts?...really? .....
    I think they think we all came down in the last shower....DUH!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Quade Cooper on sleeping pills before burglary

QUADE Cooper may have been under the influence of sleeping pills when he committed the actions that led to burglary charges against him.

It is not uncommon for players to be given sleeping tablets on long flights. Nor is it uncommon for them to be given such medication on the night before a Test to allow them to get a good night's sleep. But because no player would drink alcohol before a Test, it is understood Cooper may not have been aware of the dangers of mixing alcohol with sleeping pills. He also might have mistakenly deduced from the fact he was given the medication 24 hours before a Test that the drug would not linger in his system.

Wallabies doctor Warren McDonald last night would not confirm or deny what Cooper had or had not been given, citing doctor/patient confidentiality.
    Methaqualone is a sedative-hypnotic drug that is similar in effect to barbiturates, a general central nervous system depressant. Its use peaked in the 1960s and 1970s as a hypnotic, for the treatment of insomnia, and as a sedative and muscle relaxant. It has also been used illegally as a recreational drug, commonly known as Quaaludes (pronounced /ˈkweɪluːdz/ KWAY-loodz)

Perhaps they'll be known as Quadeludes from here on in.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Sleeping pills are not a crime-inducing drug.
    And Alcohol is not considered an aphrodisiac and yet its been getting ugly people laid since the 1600's right TIF?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Methaqualone is a sedative-hypnotic drug that is similar in effect to barbiturates, a general central nervous system depressant. Its use peaked in the 1960s and 1970s as a hypnotic, for the treatment of insomnia, and as a sedative and muscle relaxant. It has also been used illegally as a recreational drug, commonly known as Quaaludes (pronounced /ˈkweɪluːdz/ KWAY-loodz)

Perhaps they'll be known as Quadeludes from here on in.
    What's the current prescription rate of Methaqualone these days Woody? I would think if the medical profession is so reluctant to prescribe Tramadol, that Quaaludes would be virtually nonexistent?

is there some possibility that they have been missed off some list of banned drugs in sport?

Anyhoo, any time I've ever taken a sleeping pill and then hadd a beer, I've been lucky to finish the first beer before falling asleep.

C'mon the

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast