Thread: Will Genia eyeing NZ opportunities

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Will Genia eyeing NZ opportunities

Will Genia eyeing NZ opportunities

By Darren Walton, AAP August 8, 2010, 2:10 pm

• Buzz up!

AAP © Enlarge photo

As if conceding the Bledisloe Cup to the All Blacks for an eighth consecutive year isn't bad enough, now Australia could lose star halfback Will Genia to New Zealand.
    Not in the short term and not to the All Blacks - but reportedly to a Super 15 franchise some time down the track.
    Genia, who in the space of 12 meteoric months, has risen from Queensland bench-warmer to one of world rugby's most influential performers, has admitted he would give "serious thought" to joining a New Zealand franchise.
    "I have never had an offer, so until I receive one we'll never know if it will happen," he told New Zealand's Sunday Star Times.
    "But I would be flattered if any of the teams here wanted me and would have to give it some serious thought.
    "It would certainly be a great experience, one that could only benefit my game.
    "As a rugby player, you want to experience as many challenges you can. If you broaden your rugby knowledge, it makes you a better player and I have always been a fan of the way New Zealanders play their rugby."
    Genia is contracted to Queensland and the ARU until after next year's Rugby World Cup in New Zealand and could expect a massive pay rise when he negotiates a new deal.
    The 22-year-old signed his current one before he broke into the Test arena.
    Even the slightest hint that he may be considering a move across the Tasman would send shudders through the Queensland and Australian Rugby Unions.
    Genia, though, has no plans to walk away from his beloved Reds in the foreseeable future, especially after he assumed the captaincy this season following a serious injury to James Horwill.
    "It would be hard for me to move away from the Reds," he said.
    "I like it there and have unfinished business.
    "But you never know."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...opportunities/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    cant honestly see it happening, not when you compare the financial value of the deals offered in australia vs new zealand(for a non all black)..

Veteran
    vCash
    dribble...

vCash
    I read this to mean "When asked by some unnamed wanker whether he would play in New Zealand, Genia answered I've never thought of it, New Zealanders play some good rugby"

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If he goes to NZ it is because he has finished being the incumbent Wallaby and doesn't like Japan.
    His next contract will be in Australia for sure which will take him to around 26 and in sight of the next RWC so if still fit he'll be too tempted not to at least go for that.
    By then (2015) there could well be another star on the rise ready for the next four year cycle so yeah, anything could happen, after he's served his country.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    unnamed wanker
    Josh Massoud and Brett Harris must both have had a day off. Darren Walton seems to have filled the void nicely.

The only surprising thing about these articles is that they get paid to file them week in, week out. Sheesh!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David