Griffins old-boy passes on tips

Glen McCullough | 5th August 2010

Former Downlands student and new Western Force signing Gene Fairbanks chats to the school’s current First XV.
Nev Madsen

THE lure of a Wallaby Test cap will help drive Gene Fairbanks when he makes a welcome return to Super rugby next year.

The former star Downlands College product has ended his flirtation with the evolving Japanese rugby scene to link with the Western Force in 2011.

Fairbanks made a cameo return last Friday to Downlands where his visit included an address to the First XV about their roles as players based on some of his experiences.

“I love coming back here to Downlands,” Fairbanks said.

“Some of the most exciting footy I’ve ever played was while I was here.”
When it comes to rugby experiences, 27-year-old Fairbanks has an impressive list to fall back on.

He was invited to join the Reds Rugby College in 1997 and after leaving Downlands in 1999, he made his Super 12 debut for Queensland in 2003.

Fairbanks ended his Reds’ association in 2005 to join the ACT Brumbies where he stayed for five years.

He is also a former Australian Sevens player and after representing Australia at various age levels, he was chosen in the 2006 Wallabies squad to tour Europe.

Fairbanks is playing this season for Randwick in the New South Wales Premiership Rugby competition after returning from a cultural visit and playing stint in Japan.
“It was an amazing six months over there,” Fairbanks said.
“I got to see most of Japan and visited all its major cities from north to south while playing rugby.”

Fairbanks said Japanese rugby is gradually progressing, based around a sprinkling of international players and coaches.

“They’re definitely heading in the right direction but for a young player trying to better himself, it’s probably not the ideal place to play,” Fairbanks said.

“But if you want to travel, it’s a great place to head to. It’s so immersed in culture, it’s unbelievable.”

Fairbanks opted for a Super contract with the Force ahead of the newly formed Melbourne Rebels. “The Brumbies really wasn’t an option for me, so it virtually came down to a choice between Melbourne and the Force,” Fairbanks said.

“But in the end it was a pretty easy decision to join the Force.

“Looking a little further down the track after rugby, there are some career opportunities for me based in Western Australia.

“The club seems to be heading in a good direction and I want to enjoy being a part of that.

“Playing for Australia remains a huge goal of mine. I’d love to experience playing for the Wallabies.”

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story...asses-on-tips/