Thread: Force still sniffing around Andre

vCash

Force still sniffing around Andre

Two five-eighths? Wouldn't more speed out wide be a better idea?

Force to shore up key position

Bret Harris
    The Australian August 03

WESTERN Force may have two foreign five-eighths in its Super 15 squad next year as it attempts to strengthen the position vacated by Matt Giteau.

Even though Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia has agreed to terms with the Force for a two-year contract as a foreign development player, the Perth-based club is considering recruiting a marquee import to play number 10 as well.

And they are looking to re-sign former Springbok five-eighth Andre Pretorius.

When Giteau returned to the Brumbies at the end of last year after three years in Perth, the Force recruited Pretorius to replace him.

But Pretorius sustained a season-ending hamstring injury in the pre-season and did not play a game for the Force, which later brought in former All Black David Hill on loan from a Japanese club.

Coach John Mitchell reluctantly played inside centre Sam Harris and fullback James O'Connor at five-eighth until Hill arrived.

The Force will assess Pretorius's fitness and form while he plays for the Sharks in the Currie Cup in South Africa with a view to offering him a new contract for next year.

"We've still got a marquee spot open," Force chief executive Vern Reid said.

"We'll look at the NPC (in New Zealand) and the Currie Cup and see what's around.

"We want to make sure five-eighth is absolutely covered. If we get Willie over the line, we'll make sure we shore up number 10.

"Andre is on the radar.

"He hasn't played for the Sharks yet. If he gets through the Currie Cup in good form, we'll talk to him."

While the presence of both Pretorius and Ripia would provide the Force with depth in the five-eighth position, it would not preclude the side from playing both of them at the same time.

Ripia's preferred position is five-eighth, but he can play anywhere in the backline from halfback to fullback.

Reid was confident Ripia would sign a contract within the next few days.

"We are nearly there. I'm confident we will get him," Reid said. "He has agreed in principle."

Ripia, 24, made his Super rugby debut for the Highlanders against the Force in 2006 and joined the Hurricanes the following year.

A former New Zealand Under 19s and Under 21s representative, Ripia would be eligible to play for the Wallabies after three years.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If they are looking to recruit old farts perhaps they should consider the 35yo fly-half playing for Northland. Gave the 'Naki 10 a Rugby lesson on the weekend.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    I think it would be quite handy having Pretorius around the club. He might not get much game time, but Ripia is relatively inexperienced, and Hunt has even less experience.
    Pretorius has been around the traps, has been a world class fly half, and knos his job. He would be an excellent mentor for a year, if we are to stick with Ripia.
    We have the experience out wide, with a starting 3 outside backs already locked in (Cullet, Shep and Spanner, with Bart on the bench and Fairbanks looking for a game). What we need are a few young quick outside backs to take over when Spanner and Bart go in a year or two. We dont really need experienced outside backs as we have them already.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Probably Andre's greatest asset, among quite a few, is he wants to be here.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It wouldn't be bad to see him stay but I don't know if I'd put him in my starting line-up of:

10. Ripia
    11. Shepherd
    12. Staniforth
    13. Inman
    14. Cummins
    15. JO'C

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    if Ripia backfires Andre is a worthy backup.. he has an unflappable attitude and is very calm under pressure.. not always the most consistent player in terms of standout performances but i think with a quality pack and some class outside he will be in his element...

Champion
    vCash
    EXPENSIVE PLAYER TO HAVE SITTING AROUND I WOULD OF THOUGHT.. WHY NOT BUY TWO FRINGE 10/12'S AND GIVE THEM OPPORTUNITIES SURELY.
    Andre's just boasting up his superanuation...
    Is Sheehan still here ?

vCash
    Andre training in Durban

image from here http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...2437&ref=album

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    if Ripia backfires Andre is a worthy backup.. he has an unflappable attitude and is very calm under pressure.. not always the most consistent player in terms of standout performances but i think with a quality pack and some class outside he will be in his element...
    I agree completely under the proviso that he isn't too expensive. I wonder who the other player they are interested in is?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.