Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Club Rugby - And The Finalists Are?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Club Rugby - And The Finalists Are?

Two rounds to go, and the final four positions are almost set in stone, if not the order of finishing.

Kalamunda have to play Nedlands next week, and that game will finally kill any forlorn lingering hope the pundits may still harbour of them making the finals.

As keen as Kala may be, Nedlands also have a very good reason for turning it on next Saturday. A win will guarantee them first or second spot on the ladder, and a loss can conceivably see them in third spot after the qualifying rounds.

Cottesloe are in the same position, they need at least one more win to secure a spot in the top two and have to see off Wests and then Palmyra, possibly a harder road than Nedlands.

Soaks will be hot on their tail for second position should either Neddies or Cott falter, and they take the scenic route home, taking on a sad, dispirited and vaguely pathetic Perth.

Really, can anyone remember the last time a club went through an entire season in local rugby with only one win under their belt? It may well be, if as has been mooted, the club premier structure is to be reduced to eight teams, or Joondalup is to be included at the expense of an existing team, they will be the first to go. But that's a discussion for another day.

Palmyra have to wait until next weekend to set their plan for the finals. If as is anticipated , Kala are eliminated from having any chance, the situation will probably be that Paly will be cemented in fourth spot, with no prospect of moving higher, with the teams above them all vying for first and second spot.

Paly then have the luxury of resting key players in preparation for the finals, and not having to rush back players from injury. For the last four rounds Paly have been without four, and even six, first pick starters, and this has shown in the results.
    The final game against Cottesloe will be academic for Paly, but not for Cott, and it will allow Paly to assess where they are for the next encounter without giving too much away themselves. By the finals they will be at full strength again. Against Uni yesterday they fielded five colts, three in the starting line up, yet still touched Uni up.

On the other hand if, (highly unlikely), Neddies, Cott and Soaks all stuff it up next Saturday, then Paly will have to play at full strength against Cott for the chance of finishing second. But that won't happen.

Just a final note, RugbyWA had better ensure it sticks to the letter of the competition rules this year when it comes to player eligibility for the finals. The Legal action which was prepared and not proceeded with after last year's debacle won't be held back this time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 19-03-11 at 23:19.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    interesting to see Soaks have Chris O'young & Scott Stanniforth in their side

vCash
    Their eligibility will be an issue in the finals, don't worry about that, BDGF.

vCash
    Jeez I dunno Frank -- better not count your emus before they've hatched. Paly has Wanneroo and Cottesloe and it wouldn't surprise me unduly if you lost both of those. I mean, Paly is the team that was rush-out-and-buy-a-lotto-ticket lucky to defeat worst-team-of-the-decade Perth-Bayswater with a very fortunate penalty kick on the bell. Kalamunda, on the other hand, have Nedlands, who have been not that impressive lately, and Wests, and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they win both of those. It could happen...

vCash
    About as realistic as Perth winning another game this season, I'm afraid, Rick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Really, can anyone remember the last time a club went through an entire season in local rugby with only one win under their belt? It may well be, if as has been mooted, the club premier structure is to be reduced to eight teams, or Joondalup is to be included at the expense of an existing team, they will be the first to go. But that's a discussion for another day..
    Joondalup will not easily become a Premier club under current RugbyWA management and don't you worry Fulvio Baysie will be back sooner than you think

vCash
    Why is Chris O playing for Soaks and not Wanneroo?

vCash
    Is that a rhetorical question, Ecky?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Joondalup will not easily become a Premier club under current RugbyWA management and don't you worry Fulvio Baysie will be back sooner than you think
    I agree Pieter, If Rocko can stay there after repeated seasons of not being quite there, surely results doesn't play that big a part.

Yes, I know how that sounds, but Rocko pride or not, we get smashed more often than not and our only real claim to fame is building top class juniors for other clubs to poach.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I agree Pieter, If Rocko can stay there after repeated seasons of not being quite there, surely results doesn't play that big a part.

Yes, I know how that sounds, but Rocko pride or not, we get smashed more often than not and our only real claim to fame is building top class juniors for other clubs to poach.
    Joondalup deserve a chance at premiership status but I agree it will be hard under the current administration. Likewise we have 360 junior members, just ripe for the poaching once they get to senior level. JBRUFC senior teams are competitive (our top team 3rd grade Gold are playing some great rugby and are currently 2nd as an example) and there will be a new clubhouse & facilities for next season to build on. With a massive Northern suburb catchment area you'd think RWA would be looking to expand the competition, not shrink it, but we'll see. It won't be from lack of trying up North, that's for sure.....

[Beer & crisps......the pre-season diet of choice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Is that a rhetorical question, Ecky?
    Is that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by doobie69 View Post
    Joondalup deserve a chance at premiership status but I agree it will be hard under the current administration.
    The biggest problem is that there are to many clubs in the central area of Perth - Associates and Cottesloe for example are so close together you can almost kick a rugby ball from the one to the other (2.5km to be precise) and they are not the only ones!!
    So you have an option to walk to your preferred club for training if you stay close to the city but if you stay in the Northern areas like Clarkson then you might have to travel 28km(one way) to get to a premier grade club. The hierarchy doesn't give a damn about the bigger picture of rugby in WA
    If they did they would have had the balls to make decisions for the good of rugby as a whole not for the good and personal benifits of old farts running some of these rugby clubs.

vCash
    What a terrible name to call Hansie, Pieter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I guess they feel some sense of loyalty to the old farts that kept the code alive in this state for the last hundred years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Gawd - I am already an old fart - I guess that gives me licence to lecture....

There are some things behind Piet's comments that need to be explored. Joondalup have had good junior numbers for years and in the juniors won a few flags too. Becoming a senior club is not based solely on numbers and success in Junior ranks. I would expect Joondalup should be in a very good position to field 2 under 18 and 2 under 20 teams, but are there the coaches, managers and sponsors there to support these teams?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast