Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ripia signs 2 year deal with the Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Not really.
    While Bernie used to be able to ghost through a gap on occasion with devastating effect, his main go was excellent passing putting players into space and penetrating kicks to the corners.
    Where as Giteau has the whole hustle, I'm the star, try and win the game on his own shoulders thing going on, or what I refer to as the "quarterback" mentality.
    Burgs is spot on
    Larkham certainly had the ability to break the line but he picked his moment
    He mostly fed his outside runners
    In those days we had all sorts of exotic plays with runners coming from deep and running hard. Larkham just threw the ball to the intended receiver.
    Gits stands very deep. His backline is very flat. There rarely seems to be a play on. If there is a move "on" Gits often changes the plan and runs or kicks which confuses his outside players.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Sure looks like it
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I didn't think so

Different styles

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    A players character traits have an effect on the playing style.
    We need more islanders that want to hurt people

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The Baby Faced Assasin

vCash
    So Larkham picked his time to run better.....

A linkman 5/8 is suggesting that he was purely a intermediary player between the forwards and rest of the back line, which couldn't be further from the truth in Bernie, larkham was absolutely pivotal In the Brumbies and Wallabies back lines, I'm sure there were times when he received the ball that he also decided to change the plans due to the defense realigning, this is hardly a trait unique to giteau. Bernies passing game was top quality, 30m accurate passes were not uncommon..
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bernie knew the chorus of The Gambler, Gits doesn't.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    So Larkham picked his time to run better.....

A linkman 5/8 is suggesting that he was purely a intermediary player between the forwards and rest of the back line, which couldn't be further from the truth in Bernie, larkham was absolutely pivotal In the Brumbies and Wallabies back lines, I'm sure there were times when he received the ball that he also decided to change the plans due to the defense realigning, this is hardly a trait unique to giteau. Bernies passing game was top quality, 30m accurate passes were not uncommon..
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I don't think Linkman is a derogatory term, it doesn't speak to the quality of the player's game, not to the importance in the team.....IMHO it's all about the style of play.

Bernie was a linkman because he would pass the outside backs through the gap, Gits isn't because he runs through the gap and looks for the pass. The fact that I think a link-type of 5/8 is more effective in the modern game doesn't mean that the ballrunning offloader is not effective, let's face it, Quade has a lot of the ballrunner about him and I love it when he challenges the line!

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    I thought that Ripia was a bit better than solid in that game v BOP though he is not a noted playmaker or runner. Nothing much should be made of the fact that he couldn't nail down the Hurricanes starting spot because Aaron Cruden, who superseded him, is now anointed as the reserve All Black first five.

I saw Swanepoel play on Saturday night for Manly v Sydney Uni and he wore the 10 jersey. It was a high quality game and apart from dropping a couple of balls cold from the scrummie he had a top game. Damn good for a teenager against that opponent.

He's not the regular Manly flyhalf but he showed me enough to indicate he will be handy on the S15 bench to cover 9 and 10 down the track.

vCash
    I watched a swanepoel game a few weeks back and he looked terrible at scrum half, maybe 5/8 should be become his position
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4