Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ripia signs 2 year deal with the Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ripia signs 2 year deal with the Force

Playmaker Ripia signs with Force
    NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian July 31, 2010, 1:06 pm

A crucial piece of the Western Force's Super season jigsaw has fallen into place with New Zealand Maori and Hurricanes playmaker Willie Ripia agreeing to join the club for two years.

The Force were in desperate need of a proven on-field back- line leader after leaving themselves without a recognised No.10 for next season.

But, despite snaring 24-year-old Ripia as their emerging foreign import, the Force still need a back-up playmaker to negotiate the upcoming campaign.

A utility player such as Mark Bartholomeusz can step into the role but that is not a long-term answer.

Force academy and 2009 Australian schoolboys fly-half Kyle Godwin, 17, is still at least a couple of seasons away from breaking into Super rugby.

The Force's marquee foreign player spot is still open and they have not ruled out the return of former Springbok Andre Pretorius, who missed the entire 2010 season after tearing his left hamstring from the bone.

However, that option must be in serious doubt as Pretorius has not made an appearance since moving to Durban in a bid to break into the Sharks' Currie Cup side.

His replacement last season, David Hill, only signed a short-term deal and returned to Japanese club Toshiba at the end of the season.

Western Force coach John Mitchell, who coached Ripia at Waikato when he joined the New Zealand provincial side as a teenager, described him as an exceptional young man.

"He has grown from the national provincial competition to Super rugby," Mitchell said.

"He is a strong distributor of the ball while also having the attributes to be able to get to the line.

"He would be a welcome inclusion in the Western Force program."

Ripia, 177cm and 91kg, has been behind Aaron Cruden since joining the Hurricanes in 2008.

When he was in Perth for discussions with the Force earlier this month, he told _The West Australian _that he wanted to join a team where he could have a presence.

"I'm looking at the future. It would be a great opportunity to get involved in something new, to play Super rugby in a different place," he said.

In his first Super 14 game in 2006, while he was with the Highlanders, Ripia came off the bench to face the Force - and threw an intercept scoring pass to the delight of Scott Staniforth.
    "We were close to their line and I thought we had the opportunity to score," Ripia said. "Staniforth was on the left wing. I threw the pass and 'hello' he was off under the posts."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ns-with-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 31-07-10 at 14:06.

vCash
    Gooooooooooooo RIpia/force!

He had a bit of a shocker on Thursday night, but he'll be around much better players in the west!

vCash
    He doesn't need to be a superstar, but he does need to be aware. As long as he can involve his teammates, he'll be fine.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    One of the reasons for Hill being so useful this year, was that he wasnt spectacular but provided decent service and was able to play a positional game.

JOC is where the create influence will be added, from either the centres or fullback.

Anyone know if Ripia is capped? Or can we get another marquee player? Id consider even getting Pretorius again if he isnt, to mentor JOC, Ripia, Hunt, etc.

vCash
    That's a good idea, but don't forget we're not sure of where we stand with injury cover at 2 and we could do with some more speed out wide.

You surely would think Ripia has 10 covered for three years under the development player contract, why would you sign a marquee there. I'd suggest the ARU are more likely to allow a quick winger than a #2, but you never know.

C'mon the

vCash
    Ripia is capped with NZ Maori.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's a good idea, but don't forget we're not sure of where we stand with injury cover at 2
    I read that Ryan Tyrell had made a good recovery and was cleared to play. Dunno what his contract status is or whether the report was right.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Here, we go - I typed it up so there are probably 500 spelling/grammar mistakes;

Playmaker Ripia signs with the Force
    Nick Taylor

A crucial piece of the Western Force's Super season jigsaw has fallen into place with New Zealand Maori and Hurricanes playmaker Willie Ripia agreeing to join the club for two years.

The Force were in desperate need of a proven on-field backline leader after leaving themselves without a recognised No.10 for next season

But, despite snaring 24-year-old Ripia as their emerging foreign import, the Force still need a back-up playmaker to negotiate the upcoming campaign.

A utility player such as Mark Bartholomeusz can step into the role but that is not a long term answer.

Force academy and 2009 schoolboys fly-half Kyle Godwin, 17, is still at least a couple of seasons away from breaking into Super Rugby.
    The Force's marquee foreign player spot is still open and they have not ruled out the return of former Springbok Andre Pretorius, who missed the entire 2010 season after tearing his left hamstring from the bone.

However, that option must be in serious doubt as Pretorius has not made an appearance since moving to Durban in a bid to break into the Sharks' Currie Cup side.

His replacement last season, David Hill, only signed a short-term deal and returned to Japanese club Toshiba at the end of the season.

Western Force coach John Mitchell, who coached Ripia at Waikato when he joined the New Zealand provincial side as a teenager, described him as an exceptional young man.

"He is a strong distributor of the ball while also having the attributes to be able to get to the line.

"He would be a welcome inclusion in the Western Force program."
    Ripia, 177cm and 91kg, has been behind Aaron Cruden since joining the Hurricanes in 2008.
    When he was in Perth for discussions wit hthe Force earlier this month, he told The West Australian that he wanted to join a team where he could have a presence.

"I'm looking at the future. It would be a great opportunity to get involved in something new, to play Super Rugby in a different place," he said.

In his first Super 14 game in 2006, while he was with the Highlanders, Ripia came off the bench to face the Force – and threw an intercept scoring pass to the delight of Scott Staniforth.

"We were close to their line and I thought we had the opportunity to score," Ripia said. "Staniforth was on the left wing. I threw the pass and 'hello' he was off under the posts."

vCash
    Thats great news....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I read that Ryan Tyrell had made a good recovery and was cleared to play. Dunno what his contract status is or whether the report was right.
    he has been cleared. but there hasnt been any news of his professional career as yet

vCash
    Seeing as Mitchell knows Ripia and he's been learning behind Cruden, I'd say he's a great acquistion. NZ Maori doesn't count as full international, so he doesn't take the marquee spot, either.

And throwing a few more scoring passes to Spanner will be very welcome next season!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That's a good idea, but don't forget we're not sure of where we stand with injury cover at 2 and we could do with some more speed out wide.

You surely would think Ripia has 10 covered for three years under the development player contract, why would you sign a marquee there. I'd suggest the ARU are more likely to allow a quick winger than a #2, but you never know.
    We do have Whittaker and Nathan Charles at 2, with Siliva Siliva in the academy waiting for a call up to the squad. Id be happier getting him a full contract to stop him going to Melbourne. Tyrell was a back rower before he became a hooker. With his neck Id be nervous that getting him back in the scrum. I think we are adequately covered in 2.
    We really are short in the playmaker role though. Our number 2 play maker is either Hunt who has barely made it on to the field or Bart being played out of position.

We are also short with the outside backs, with either aging players or reworked centres.

vCash
    That's Ripper news.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    We do have Whittaker and Nathan Charles at 2, with Siliva Siliva in the academy waiting for a call up to the squad. Id be happier getting him a full contract to stop him going to Melbourne. Tyrell was a back rower before he became a hooker. With his neck Id be nervous that getting him back in the scrum. I think we are adequately covered in 2.
    We really are short in the playmaker role though. Our number 2 play maker is either Hunt who has barely made it on to the field or Bart being played out of position.

We are also short with the outside backs, with either aging players or reworked centres.
    All true, but I wouldn't think we gain anything by signing an Andre Pretorius as our maarquee player, Ripia might be a journeyman, but he won't appreciate playing behind somebody like Pretorius. I reckon we need to sign an australian who is a genuine flyhalf with some years left in him. that will than give us a succession plan to our academy boys. We can then get a marquee finisher who would likely be easier to find.

As for Hooker, I like the idea of promoting from within the academy, but don't know anything abour Silivia......then again I knew nothing about Nathan Charles at this level before 2010! If Ryan's up to the task, I'd keep him along for the ride, because Whits and Charles are eminently capable of flying the flag, so Ryan can play the injury cover role......unless, of course, he's a medical risk!

It'll also send good messages to the players about loyalty being repaid.

C'mon the

vCash
    Great News, welcome on board Willie.

The backline is starting to look good, with a bit of variety as well as he often slipped into 12 when Weepu played 10 for the Hurricanes, and we lack a bit of depth at 12 as well.

Starting backline I would like to see:

9) Sheehan
    10) Ripia
    11) Bart
    12) O Connor
    13) Inman
    14)Staniforth
    15) Sheppard

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast