Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ripia signs 2 year deal with the Force

Rookie
    vCash
    I watched Ripia play also, I thought he was quite good, very controlled and had a very good kicking game, I think he will be a good recruit. I think Sheehan and Ripia will make a good halves combination.
    Watched Warringah play Randwick yesterday at Coogee Oval and Nick Cummins had such a good game, his all round play was so good, whilst Inman is solid he doesn't worry many teams, I'd like to see Cummins play abit of 13.
    Fairbanks was very poor again, I don't understand why they signed him, he offered nothing in attack and his defence was really bad with the Rats finding lots of room around the 13 channel but were saved quite often by Nick Cummins. Another reason I cannot understand the signing of Fairbanks is because he has probably replaced Sam Harris and on yesterdays performance and Sam Harris end of season form and his form in club rugby is/was so good and throw in 6 from 6 with boot. I hope Fairbanks finds abit of form for nest season.
    I 've also got to mention how poor Cowan and Hockings are playing, they are getting smashed by alot of opposition teams that I've seen, Cowan is getting penalised as much as Dunning was for the Force.
    I read in the paper Stefano Hunt was back in first grade this week, this time as a winger??? what the? If he cannot make first grade at Southern Districts or Norths what chance does he have of playing Super 15 rugby next season?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So much for knowing more about Shep by Sunday

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Prospect
    vCash
    The Force need to Check out young Tane Puki from Kalamunda this kid is the goods all over fairbanks and stefano hunt

vCash
    Watched Taranaki vs Otago just now. Ripia's game could be described as solid, he has a very good kicking game and a good passing game. I don't recall him putting anyone through any gaps nor did he have a run himself, he either passed the ball straight away or kicked it. This is the third game of his I have watched and each performance was solid and reliable without really showing any attacking flair, he is certainly not Cooper-esque.
    Perhaps when he gets to Perth and is under a different coaching regime he should be able to develop his game further.

Josh Tatupu had a good game, he threw a lovely pass to put another player through a gap which led to a try, and at the death he made a good break sprinting up-field, all-in-all looked quite dangerous when in possession.

Player
    vCash
    Do we want another creative player in the run on side?
    David Hill was so useful because he was solid. We have the creative flair in JOC who can come into the line from 15 or act as the second play maker at 12.

I am very nervous about having too much creativity in a side. The Wallabies have 3 to 4 playmakers in the run on side in Cooper, Giteau, JOC and Beale. That is not working well at the moment.

Having said that, we would be putting all of our eggs in one basket if we were to just rely on JOC as the playmaker in the side.

vCash
    I agree about David Hill but he would also add a bit of variety when needed, put players through a gap or have a run himself when the opportunity presented.
    I guess what I'm saying about Rippia's play is it seems a little too predictable in the games I've seen. In his last 2 games I think he has made only 2 runs himself and IIRC both runs were from broken play. Thats 2 runs in 160 minutes.
    His long pass is very good but I didn't see any short passes to put people through gaps.
    As you know in Super15 opposition coaches will scrutinize every aspect of his play and if his play is too predictable then he wont be able to draw defenders when putting on a move.
    Like I said my thoughts are based only on the 3 games I have seen recently and he may very well prove to be more creative than I have given him credit for.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The tough thing to judge with Flyhalves is how much is sticking to the bosses game plan, how much is instinct and how much is the players either side (ie 9 & 12).
    Will be interesting to watch under a new Coach and new players.
    I'd go for a Carter/Larkham/Barnes/Hilgendorf/Wilkinson style linkman to a Giteaeu/Cooper/Beale "quarterback" any day.

Last edited by Burgs; 27-08-10 at 14:47.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    His long pass is very good but I didn't see any short passes to put people through gaps.
    I have just seen bits and pieces of Taranaki so far. I got the impression his torpedo pass was lacking and he tends to throw some looping passes that would be vulnerable to intercept.

While David Hill was also the "solid" type fly half, he had the added advantage that he could carry the ball strongly and get over the advantage line when he didn't see any worthwhile passing/kicking options. He's 6'2" and 103kg. Ripia is considerably smaller but like Hill, seems a good defender

Hopefully he'll show us more flair with Force. The ITM commentators have been talking him up pretty well.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The ITM commentators have been talking him up pretty well.
    Maybe they're trying to ensure Graham Henry doesn't look at him as an AllBlack!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I'd go for a Carter/Larkham/Barnes/Hilgendorf/Wilkinson style linkman to a Giteaeu/Cooper/Beale "quarterback" any day.
    those are some odd comparisons... i think you would have a hard time convincing many people that Larkham is more of a 'linkman' 5/8 then Giteau...

Last edited by TOCC; 27-08-10 at 17:46.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not really.
    While Bernie used to be able to ghost through a gap on occasion with devastating effect, his main go was excellent passing putting players into space and penetrating kicks to the corners.
    Where as Giteau has the whole hustle, I'm the star, try and win the game on his own shoulders thing going on, or what I refer to as the "quarterback" mentality.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    So you are referring to personalities as opposed to playing styles based on what you said about Giteau?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sure looks like it
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    So you are referring to personalities as opposed to playing styles based on what you said about Giteau?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    A players character traits have an effect on the playing style.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast