Thread: McCALMAN CAPS OFF GREAT YEAR

vCash

McCALMAN CAPS OFF GREAT YEAR

The rapid rise of Emirates Western Force forward Ben McCalman has seen him ascend to the top ranks of rugby with the 22 year old stepping out onto Suncorp Stadium last Saturday to secure his senior debut for Australia.
    After a sensational first Super rugby season, topped off by the club’s Rising Star Award, McCalman became the latest Force player to proudly wear the Wallabies colours.

A second half substitute against the Springboks in Australia’s 30-13 Tri-Nations win gave the utility forward a taste of international football and he wants more.

"I was really excited when I got told I was going to be in the side and then to get onto the field and be part of the great win was fantastic,” McCalman said.

"I remember taking the field and just thinking it was pretty crazy.

"You really notice that you're playing at another level. I just tried to put myself straight into it and I was happy with what I was able to contribute.

“I was able to touch the ball a few times and make a few tackles in defence and overall I really enjoyed it. It was a very quick game and you notice that you're up against some very big men."

McCalman grew up in country NSW however his rugby exploits allow little time for him to spend at home but was delighted to be able to share his Wallabies debut with family who made the trip to Brisbane.

"My mum, nan, brother and girlfriend travelled up from Warren to watch me and it was great to have them there,” he said.

"They were very proud and excited and it was pretty special for them as well."

Tri-Nations
    Australia v South Africa
    Saturday, 24 July 2010 at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
    Crowd: 44,284

Wallabies 30 (Drew Mitchell, Will Genia tries; Matt Giteau 5 penalty goals; James O'Connor penalty goal and conversion)
    Springboks 13 (Morne Steyn penalty) at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

(Half time: Wallabies 17-3)

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 28-07-10 at 17:30.