Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Former Wallaby to apologise for vilifying Peter de Villiers with puppet and clown jib

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Former Wallaby to apologise for vilifying Peter de Villiers with puppet and clown jib

Former Wallaby to apologise for vilifying Peter de Villiers with puppet and clown jibes

July 23, 2010 - 11:32AM

No more clowning about . . . Springboks management has taken exception to comments made against coach Peter de Villiers. Photo: Getty Images

Former Wallabies hooker Brendan Cannon is in hot water for branding Springboks coach Peter de Villiers a "clown" and a puppet over his latest outlandish comments.
    While Tri Nations governing body SANZAR may censure de Villiers for suggesting South Africa were victims of a World Cup conspiracy in their two losses in New Zealand, Cannon has been forced to apologise for his response.
    The 42-Test hooker will issue an on-air apology to the Springboks camp after ridiculing the coach following his extraordinary comments on Fox Sports Rugby Club program on Wednesday night.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    Must apologise . . . former Wallaby hooker Brendan Cannon. Photo: Getty Images

"I've got my own observations about the last two Tests, and maybe I can't say it in public, but we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year," de Villiers said.
    A panellist on The Rugby Club, Cannon upset South African officials by belittling de Villiers and suggesting he was a puppet coach.
    "I can't believe that senior players like John Smit and Victor Matfield allow themselves to be controlled by this guy," he said.
    "He is a clown. He surely does not coach the team."
    Springboks spokesperson Anthony Mackaiser on Thursday delivered Fox Sports, a Tri Nations broadcast rights holder, an ultimatum they immediately apologise or no longer have on-air access to South African players or management.
    A Fox Sports spokesman on Friday confirmed the apology would occur at the start of Saturday night's Test coverage at Suncorp Stadium.
    "Canno will make a public apology when we open the coverage on Saturday night," he said.
    De Villiers, though, remains on thin ice of his own with SANZAR investigating his comments, which have stemmed from his frustrations over refereeing and judicial decisions in New Zealand.
    He's been shaking his head at why northern hemisphere referees have controlled the opening two Tests which the All Blacks won comfortably after South Africa had men sin-binned early in both.
    Lock Bakkies Botha was also suspended for the entire Tri Nations for headbutting Jimmy Cowan in the 32-12 loss in Auckland while winger Jean de Villiers was banned for three weeks for a dangerous tackle on Rene Ranger in the 31-17 Wellington defeat.
    De Villiers was particularly unhappy how Irish referees Alan Lewis and Alain Rolland controlled the breakdown in both matches.
    Another Irishman, George Clancy, will control Saturday night's clash with the Wallabies in Brisbane, where the Springboks haven't won since 1971.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...723-10nqj.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 25-07-10 at 12:17.

vCash
    Now PdV acts like a 3 year old........CLOWN
    It wouldn't hurt if he never talks to the media again.....it would save him making a total of himself.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Veteran
    vCash
    this is just ridiculous. he is a clown, and you shouldn't have to censor the media... Especially when they are right.

vCash
    Brendan Cannon shouldn't be censored when telling the truth

vCash
    "Paging Heyneke Meyer... paging Heyneke Meyer..."

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    but. but, but... he IS a clown!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Does this mean blueandblack has to appologise on air?

vCash
    I think de Villiers should command a certain amount of respect considering the position that he holds, I dont think many of us would appreciate overseas commentators continually lampooning our national coach.

But, on the other hand, someone in his position should have the savy to at least think things through before opening his mouth. This latest doosey suggesting there has been a conspiracy going on at the highest level against his team winning in NZ because it will benefit next years world cup is truely worthy of a tin foil hat.

What does SA rugby do? Sack him and replace him with who? a white guy? This must be a very sensitive issue in SA. They appoint a black guy to coach a national team in a sport which has been critsized in the past for lack of black representation so I think that they would be very reluctant to kick him out unless they have another top level black coach to take over.

I wonder if he has been provided with proffessional PR and media training? You would think that at such a senior level when coaches are expected to face international media on a regular basis they would have professional grooming in this area.

I can only imagine what it must be like in the boardroom of SA Rugby when they are told de Villiers is about to face the media. they must all close their eyes, grit their teeth, wring their hands and pray that he says something remotely sensible and that it is over quickly....

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    met P DV a few years ago at a function at Neddies.he was very personable & came across as quite "normal"
    must be that when he gets in front of the press, he comes up with these little gems!
    english being about his third language probably doesnt help his cause

vCash
    never had a problem with his syntax - do have problems with the fact that the Springboks have been incredibly sucessful and consistant under his tenure. btw agree with Cannon PDV always looks idoitic at interviews - remember the ballet classic

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    remember the ballet classic
    Oh god...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    I think de Villiers should command a certain amount of respect considering the position that he holds, I dont think many of us would appreciate overseas commentators continually lampooning our national coach.
    Well,I'd have thought the All Blacks commanded a bit of repsect too, but apparently they didn't win those games, they were given to them to sell World Cup tickets.

Bollocks.

Not the first time Springboks losses have been blamed on factors other than a better opponent or a crap game of their part.

Perhaps calling him a puppet is unfair (should have mumbled Canno-no-one could have argued with "muppet") but who knew the Boks have been taking media relations from the BCCI??

"Screw you guys- I'm going home" is amusing when uttered by an animated 8 year old, not a bunch of grown men demanding respect

vCash
    Given that Fox were given an ultimatum to either apologise or they would not be allowed to talk on air to any Blik player or manager then they had little choice but to present Canno with the reality.

Whatever is said tomorrow night, I bet a cent to a dollar that whatever was thought of PdV beforehand has only diminished.

I just find it a bit odd that it's Canno that's forced to apologise for something that's been said and not the Queensland idiot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    english being about his third language probably doesnt help his cause
    This is probably a pertinent point. He seems to know what he wants to say but the words tumble out and don't quite match.

Whatever, Fox Sports is supposedly running a professional team of experts. This is not the first time one of their "pros" has got it wrong. It's one thing for a commentator to say De Villiers got it wrong & needs to lift his act - another to lable the national coach a clown on-air. Just surprised it was a respected man in Canno rather than Paul or Martin. Doubt you would see Kafer do it. Canno's been through an emotional mincer recently and maybe he needed a bit more time out.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Canno comments were thoughtless, De Villers is using his second language at press conferences but he was accusing the Officials and IRB of favoring the All Blacks to sell more tickets. The reality is the penalties were 10-9 in favor of the ABs.... But Peter De Villiers is comical...

Canno on Fox just got wild, wild, wild and then wilder,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast