Thread: We might have to resort to cheating, says de Villiers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

We might have to resort to cheating, says de Villiers

We might have to resort to cheating, says de Villiers

GREG GROWDEN

July 19, 2010
    WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans last night accurately predicted the Springboks would arrive in Brisbane ''grumpy'', with the South African team management later complaining they had been persecuted throughout the opening fortnight of the Tri Nations.
    On a day in which winger Jean de Villiers was suspended for two weeks for a dangerous tackle during Saturday night's 31-17 loss to the All Blacks, South African coach Peter de Villiers and key forward Victor Matfield said they have been unfairly treated by referees. The coach even suggested that cheating may be the only way to overcome varying law interpretations.
    While All Blacks coach Graham Henry was delighted that the new law interpretations, especially at the breakdown, had the desired effect of encouraging fast ruck ball and an expansive game, his opposite number was seething.
    ''I'm frustrated at the moment,'' de Villiers said. ''We've played now six [Tests this year] and in six games we've had six different types of plays on the ground. We've got the same skills as last year when we won the Tri Nations. We're used to playing with the new interpretations in the Super 14 and now in the six games we've played the law was a bit different on the ground.''
    De Villiers said he was seeking answers over what to do when the ball is on the ground, ''because I don't like to prepare guys to cheat and it seems to me that's the only way going forward if you want to be on top of those kind of things and that's 70 per cent of your game''.
    Matfield added to the fire, arguing that All Blacks captain Richie McCaw and five-eighth Daniel Carter were given free rein: ''It's almost as if Richie and Dan are viewed as God's gift to rugby because nobody can touch them and they can get away with anything,'' he said.
    ''We struggled to play because we were getting slow ball all the time. That is something we need to look at. Maybe we need to adapt to the law because it isn't the same as the Super 14. We will have to look at it and fix it. I don't know if the northern and southern hemisphere referees have a different interpretation. Maybe we have to look at videos of the refs.''
    To add to South Africa's anger, they had to attend a SANZAR judiciary meeting in Wellington yesterday after Jean de Villiers was cited for a lifting tackle on All Blacks winger Rene Ranger in the 27th minute.
    SANZAR judicial officer Dennis Wheelahan found de Villiers guilty after the player admitted to making a dangerous tackle, and he will now miss the Brisbane Test on Saturday.
    Deans admitted refereeing could be an issue this weekend, with the little known Irishman, George Clancy, in charge of the Wallabies-Springbok Test: ''The key will be adjusting on the fly,'' he said yesterday.
    He predicts the Springboks will be at their antagonistic best: ''They will arrive grumpy, and this is their last away game,'' he said. ''And they have talked … about the importance of away wins in Tri Nations. They hold the trophy, and they won't want to let it go. They will look upon this Brisbane Test as a defining moment.''
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...718-10g1y.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matfield View Post
    "... Maybe we have to look at videos of the refs.''
    I'm amazed that they don't do this already. They presumably look at videos of the opposing players, so why not the refs, who have more influence over a match than most players.

vCash
    that's sad but suspect your're right they do need to take it into account

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZB9TuTJ9UY[/YOUTUBE]

ha ha ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I'm amazed that they don't do this already. They presumably look at videos of the opposing players, so why not the refs, who have more influence over a match than most players.
    Yeah I just assumed all the top nations already did that.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That would have to be the funniest headline of the year!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    That would have to be the funniest headline of the year!
    I am surprised they don't think it happens already.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue