Tries from Oli Hoskin and Richard Cooper were the highlights for the West Aussies as they battled hard but were ultimately outplayed by the ACT at the Australian Schools National Championships in Brisbane.
The move to the top division has been a good learning experience for the young men from the west and despite not yet being able to secure a win in the championships they’ve continued to put their best foot forward in each outing.

In other results NSW and Queensland second XV’s have shown up their state’s first-picked sides and will battle it out for the title at Ballymore.

Queensland II came from behind to score 20 unanswered points against NSW I to steal the game 20-19 and book their place in the decider, while NSW II ended home town hopes of an all Reds final when they toppled Queensland I 28-21 on Friday.

Keebra Park flyhalf Dion Taumata was the star for Queensland II scoring a try and kicking two conversions and two penalties, including the match-winner, to amass a personal tally of 15 points against NSW’s best.

Meanwhile, the reliable boot of The King’s School flyhalf Ed Wylie proved the difference between NSW II and Queensland I with the classy No.10 converting two of his side’s three tries and kicking three penalties.

Combined States secured their first win of the titles defeating Victoria 31-5.

Results:

POOL A
Combined States 31 (Jack Walters, Jordon Reid, Michael Murphy, Andrew Muirhead, Daniel O’Leary tries Andrew Muirhead 3 con) defeated Victoria 5 (Justin Masters try)

QLD II 20 (Dion Taumata, Andrew Ready tries, Dion Taumata 2 con, 2 pen) defeated NSW I 19 (Maketoa Hingano, Declan Smith, Luke Keary tries, Samuel Muller 2 con)

POOL B
ACT 42 (Nick Murray, Jack Jones, Lewis Holland, Jonathon Andrew-Copsey, Daniel Potts tries, James Field 4 con, 3 pen) defeated WA 12 (Richard Cooper, Oli Hoskin tries, Antini Brown 1 con)

NSW II 28 (Ben Melrose, Chris Ingate, Sam Ahofono tries, Ed Wylie 2 con 3 pen) Defeated QLD I 21 (Walter Petaia, Grant Davies, Chris F’Sautia tries, Henry Taefu 3 con)

FINAL POOL PLACINGS
POOL A 1st QLD II, 2nd NSW I, 3rd Combined States, 4th Victoria
POOL B 1st NSW II, 2nd QLD I, 3rd ACT, 4th Western Australia

Finals to be played at Ballymore, Sunday 11th July
9:00am Victoria v Western Australia
9:45am ACT v Combined States
11:00am NSW I v QLD I
Championship Final
12:30pm Queensland II v NSW II

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,58646.html