Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Springboks enforcer in trouble over head butt - gets 9 weeks.

vCash
    Bakkies had it coming, it was a cheap shot. And the judiciary have given themselves 9 weeks free from having to see Bakkies again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac View Post

now THAT is just a stupid statement...
    Care to elaborate?

If the statement is stupid then surely the logic it was using is stupid? And that was exactly the point i was making..........................................

But of course the boks are flawless and the greatest team ever, they are just so amazing i love them so much. The world and the refs are all against SA, so i must be wrong just now...

Quote Originally Posted by WelshRugbyFan
    Yeah I can see that happening. All my point is that I think, meaning in my opinion if its not seen on the day that's the end of the matter.

You've got some knob whose probably never played looking over tapes to tell someone off. I fail to see what the issue here is.

I got squirrel gripped and the ref didn't see it. Too bad then princess.
    Yes, it could be any situation, like maybe an eye gouge or head but....

And the people who review the tapes are actually highly qualified refs who have most likely played rugby before, i've never met a pro ref who hasn't played before. Anyway, it comes down to opinions in the end. I think letting the players get away with this stuff when we can stop it is moving backwards. Some people think it adds something to the game. But if this stuff is even banned in combat sports, i think us pro-video-ref'ers have a pretty decent case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    The world and the refs are all against SA, so i must be wrong just now...
    They are probably reaching for their retarded armbands as we speak....

vCash
    Botha appeared before a SANZAR Judicial hearing in Auckland on Sunday morning after being cited for striking All Black scrumhalf Jimmy Cowan with the head following a tackle in the opening minute of the Test match.

Botha said he was devastated but accepted that he had acted outside the Laws of the Game, following his lengthy suspension,

“I sincerely regret the incident,” Botha said. “I have let my team, my country and family down and I have done an injustice to the Springbok jersey and what is stands for.

“I apologise to Jimmy Cowan and the New Zealand rugby public for what happened. Rugby is a physical sport but it has to be played within the boundaries and spirit of the law. I truly regret my actions and will make sure that I put the extended time away from the game to positive use and return to playing with the right attitude”.

SARU’s Manager of National Teams, Andy Marinos, expressed the organisation’s disappointment.

“SARU views any incident of foul play in a very serious light. Bakkies remains an important player in Springbok rugby and I have discussed with him the extent of his actions and the implications it could have on the team, himself personally and his family,” Marinos said.

Botha has been suspended from all rugby up to and including 4 September 2010 and will return to South Africa on Monday.

http://www.sarugby.net/newsarticle.a...team=&newscat=

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Justice....bringing the game into disrepute..we can all do without it...

What is that they say the game they play in heaven by "gentlemen" nothing gentlemanly about that!!!

He's a big bugger too...!!!

vCash
    Bakkies knows that if its revenge you seek all you have to do is wait patiently..opportunity will present itself in many forms..usually in a ruck or a maul..anyhow, he's moved on, let's say we do the same. All Blacks by 6..
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Springboks' Smit slams Botha's 'big ego'

By Daniel Gilhooly, AAP
    July 13, 2010, 1:59 pm

Springboks captain John Smit is at odds with his coach after slamming the actions of banned lock Bakkies Botha, saying there is no room for "big egos" in a Test rugby team.

The fallout over Botha's headbutt early in the 32-12 Tri-Nations Test loss to the All Blacks on Saturday continued on Tuesday when Smit was quizzed on the need for discipline.

Smit said while good discipline was a given for any Test side, a more important factor was not letting down teammates by going beyond their own internal standards - something long-time teammate Botha did when he head butted prone halfback Jimmy Cowan, earning a nine-week suspension.

"The fact of the matter is that in a team sport, you can't afford to have too many big egos. If you have one that is outside the team ethos, it hurts a team," Smit said.

"It was probably the least penalties we've conceded in a long period of time but all you remember is one act of silliness.

"It's been dealt with, thankfully. I think it's just reward for silly behaviour."

Smit's comments come a day after South African coach Peter de Villiers stood up for Botha, in a similar manner to his controversial defence of Springboks flanker Schalk Burger during the British and Irish Lions series last year.

Burger was banned for eight weeks for eye-gouging Lions wing Luke Fitzgerald in the opening minute of the second Test prompting de Villiers to invite those who might object to the act to "head to the nearest ballet shop and buy some nice tutus".

On Monday de Villiers told journalists Cowan had provoked Botha by holding his jersey as they chased a kick and there were too many television replays of the head butting incident.

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw said on Tuesday his team had means to deal with provocation which didn't involve thuggery.

"It's pretty simple really. If you're going to put your team in trouble from doing something stupid well you're wasting your time," he said.

"I don't get angry out on the field. You're competitive and just get on and do the next job. I find if there's anything like that it's usually because you've got them under pressure. That's the way I look at it."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4