Thread: Former Wallaby Willie Ofahengaue now a Methodist minister

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Former Wallaby Willie Ofahengaue now a Methodist minister

Former Wallaby Willie Ofahengaue now a Methodist minister

Different path...Willie Ofahengaue is a minister at at Tongan Methodist church in the Burpengary region of Brisbane. It's a far cry from his days as a rampaging Wallaby star (inset). Source: The Daily Telegraph

HE WAS once the Minister for Collision. Now, Willie Ofahengaue is the Minister for Prayer.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday caught up with the former Wallaby back-rower in his new vocation - as Reverend Willie Ofahengaue at a Tongan Methodist church in Brisbane.

Ofahengaue, 42, was once the most feared forward in world rugby union.

He won 41 caps for Australia over nine years and was a member of the Wallabies' 1991 World Cup-winning side.

But Willie O now leads a more serene life - preaching his faith to four congregations in the Burpengary region of Brisbane.

"I am loving it," Manly rugby legend Ofahengaue said. "It's something I always wanted to do. I talk about the Bible and love for God.

"It's a lot different to playing rugby but very fulfilling. A few people recognise the name but I don't know if they know I played for the Wallabies.

"I don't talk about my rugby career much unless I am asked. I don't watch much rugby these days. The church and my family keep me busy.

"This is the direction I want to take in my life now. I really enjoyed my rugby career but the church and my family are the priorities at the moment."

Ofahengaue will speak at a George Smith Tribute lunch - which has been organised by the Manly Marlins - today fortnight at the Sydney Hilton.

"Unfortunately, I never got to play with Smithy but I heard plenty about him as he was coming through the ranks," Ofahengaue said.

"He's been a tremendous player for the Brumbies and Australia over a long time.

"I think the Wallabies are realising what they are missing with him not being there.

"But I am sure [Australian coach] Robbie Deans knows what he is doing. Hopefully, it will all come together for the Wallabies in time for next year's World Cup."

Guest speakers will be Willie O, Toutai Kefu and Cliffy Palu. To book, ring 9977 8269 or go to manlyrugby.com.au

Kefu was also a human wrecking ball, while Palu has made a huge impact since his return to rugby union after a short stint with rugby league side St George Illawarra.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225889600552

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Played Rugby AND a Minister, think you've got your afterlife sorted now Willie O!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Played Rugby AND a Minister, think you've got your afterlife sorted now Willie O!
    yep he has the bases covered

vCash
    Wonder which code they play in the other place?............

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There is no doubt in the matter, Union of course!
    You have to have someone to beat

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wonder which code they play in the other place?............
    None - only refs go there ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    There is no doubt in the matter, Union of course!
    You have to have someone to beat
    Wash yer mouth out, mate. It's a well known fact that ALL ex-rugby players go to heaven and all true supporters are bestowed with ability when they get there. So there are infinite tiers and divisions with no need to bring in outsiders. No need for referees either cause nobody cheats - so there are no bloody penalty goals.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To be perfectly honest (only seems fair considering the thread ) I wrote the first sentence thinking you were asking Union v League in Heaven, then when I realised you weren't that dumb (but maybe I was) and read what you actually meant I wrote the second sentence a few minutes later as an edit

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.