Thread: Benn Robinson and James Slipper ensure pressure is on for front row spots in Test squ

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Benn Robinson and James Slipper ensure pressure is on for front row spots in Test squ

THE return of Benn Robinson and rise of James Slipper will put the squeeze on Australia's front-row ranks for the Tri-Nations squad.

The 30-man squad will be announced tomorrow.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans included five props -- Ben Alexander, Pek Cowan, Ben Daley, Salesi Ma'afu and Laurie Weeks -- in the squad for the recent Tests against Fiji, England and Ireland.

Alexander sustained a season-ending knee injury in the 49-3 win against Fiji in Canberra, but even in his absence competition for spots will be strong.

Robinson, arguably the best loosehead prop in world rugby, and Slipper, the most promising double-sided prop for many years, are certain selections in the 30-man squad. After recovering from a fractured forearm, Robinson is expected to start for the Wallabies in their opening Tri-Nations Test against South Africa in Brisbane on July 24.

Slipper, 21, was not in the original 30-man squad for the Tests played so far, but was called up from the Australian Barbarians to sit on the bench against England and Ireland, leap-frogging Cowan and Weeks.

Slipper will probably retain his place on the bench for the Springboks Test because of his ability to play on both sides.

Daley and Ma'afu, who started against England and Ireland, will almost certainly hold their spots in the extended squad.

Even though England demolished the Wallabies scrum in Perth, the young Australian front-rowers improved over the course of the three Tests to the point where they dominated Ireland in the set piece.

Daley, in particular, was also very impressive in general play.

This would leave Cowan and Weeks battling to hold their places. Much will depend on whether Deans carries five or four props as he did in last year's series.

Wallabies utility back Kurtley Beale has been fined $5000 by the ARU for an off-field indiscretion. Beale urinated in a public area outside a nightclub in Brisbane hours after coming off the bench in the Wallabies' 22-15 win against Ireland.

He admitted he had consumed too much alcohol and was embarrassed by the incident.

Former Test fullback Cameron Shepherd is expected to fly to Melbourne this week to hold talks with the Rebels.

Shepherd, who is being considered for a recall to the Wallabies squad after overcoming a spate of injuries, is yet to decide between joining the Rebels and staying with the Western Force.

The Rebels yesterday announced the signing of three exciting young players -- JP du Plessis from NRL team Sydney Roosters, Australian sevens back Nicholas Phipps and Brumbies forward Hugh Pyle.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225888699422

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Look I know it's hugh pyle but I still read it as huge pile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Look I know it's hugh pyle but I still read it as huge pile.
    Some parents name their children without thinking ahead to what other kids might do with them. Former NSW Minister for Racing & Gaming, Richard Face, can attest to this.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David