Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Western Force 2011 squad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    in the australian yesterday, there was mention that an offer has been tabled to stannard as well, at the bottom of the article about graham
    John Mitchell is sure Cam will sign he reckons the delay is due to a miscommunnication with the powers at be of WA Rugby...also he is keeping his eyes our for prospective players in SA..he hasn't ruled out getting Pretorius back for 2011....

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I heard a whisper at Soaks on Saturday that RugbyWA has canned the Academy.

Anyone know anything about this progressive development?
    Wish I'd heard about that on Friday....

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    WHAT! Are then Nucking Futs?!
    Surely NOT!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Sam Harris had one bad game against the Brumbies to start the season off (as a 10) and there after wasn't given many opportunities but when he was given a few opportunities (as a 12) he played very well. He was able to brake the line and offer something from 12, 2 points of attack. The Western Force from memory had the worst attack in the competition and to have an attacking 12 would be good.
    Josh Tatupu form in the Shute Shield has been so good, if he had been given half as many opportunities as Mitch Inman I am 100% sure he would have been a much better option than Inman. Mitch Inman whilst he is solid and very big doesn't really worry any opposition teams. He just rans the ball straight.
    As I said above we need a 12 who is able to attack and offer something different, if we put Staniforth in as a 12 he will produce exactly what Cross did, whilst good it doesn't worry too many teams, we need a 12 that is able to break the line and off load in a tackle.
    I have watched quite abit of Gene Fairbanks this season and I cannot really see what he will offer, if we are going to play Staniforth at 12, theres no need for Fairbanks.
    In regards to Pukala and Perrett I just thought for abit of depth they will be quite good, if you guys are talking Jono Jenkins, Perrett is alot better than him, if they recruited Fairbanks why didn't they recruit Pukala instead?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I must admit I was surprised that we cut Tatupu loose but I think you are seeing something in him that I don't. He tackles well and he runs the ball well but I don't think he does it nearly as well as Staniforth does. I thought they'd grow him into the role given Staniforth has to be thinking of retiring soon but evidently not.

As for Sam Harris, he's 31 next year. No point carrying a 30+ bench player as a back. The whole injury drama at the start of the season didn't do him any favours but you can't say he inspired during that time. If he were 5 years younger it might be a different story. I know Fairbanks will be 29 next year so its not that different a story but he should at least be given a chance.

Pukula & Perrett- neither have played S14 rugby so its not going to bring that much depth. Given the talent we already have it would be better to keep developing the younger players.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Josh Tatupu, like a lot of our second stringers, has never really had a chance to develop since joining the Force. He might just get that chance in the NPC and hopefully he'll earn Super 15 deal for 2011.

Looking forward, it's going to be vital that our development players get more quality game time. The best way of achieving this immediately, in the absence of an ARC style comp, would be for each franchise to play a 2nd grade fixture at each Aussie Derby from 2011 on. That would equate to at least 8 fixtures and possibly a final for the top 2.

The costs will be a problem but the ARU should consider funding the extras.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    James, you are probably right, its just that from what I've seen in club rugby from both of those guys I think they will offer quite alot more to the Force in attack because as I said whilst Inman and Staniforth (32 or 33 years old) are good they don't trouble the opposition too much. I think given a few more opportunities both Harris and Tatupu will.
    I think with a backline of Rapia, Staniforth and Inman is pretty one paced.
    Shasta, that second tier game sounds like a pretty good idea.

vCash
    Has anyone any further on the information someone advised about the finishing of the Academy

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I always thought Tatupu was bursting with potential just never seemed to get it. I thought Inman had a pretty good year (esp late) for the reason that he was running straight. Harris started to do the same thing when given a decent chance - running straight and busting the line.

I like the second game idea Shasta. If you look at NRL the "second" side is the U20s comp - also has a lot of potential...Junior Force vs Junior Reds etc

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm told its finished, Herts.

Soaks will have to pay for their recruits themselves from now on.

Geoff must be as popular as a fart in a telephone booth with his club committee.

vCash
    so RugbyWA has canned there academy?

that does not make sense at all, surely you have your sources wrong

vCash
    Josh tatupo had plenty of oppurtunity but was giulty of way too many defensive mistakes.....more then you would allow someone playing in the centres.

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jjk View Post
    I think with a backline of Rapia, Staniforth and Inman is pretty one paced.
    Shasta, that second tier game sounds like a pretty good idea.
    9 Sheehan 10 ripia 11 Cummins 12 Oconnor 13 inman 14 Staniforth 15 shepherd

vCash
    Maybe they can reserve some room on Paly's next recruitment flight to NZ Fulvio.
    Neddies one is full and Wanneroo may have succumbed to the salary cap.

Pointing fingers at any one club these days is stoopid.

Will be interesting to see how the next batch of WA players is to be brought through, or are they just going to be leased to Warringah?

vCash
    Stanners Sheps and OConnor can mix it up im sure... If sheps stays...

the thing is if Sheps goes to the Rebels he will be vieing for a Wing spot with Mitchell as they already have a handy 10/11/15 combination.. he has at least got an even chance of playing 15 and 14/11 at the Force on any given week.

vCash
    has drew signed with the Rebels?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Sheps is continuing talks with rebels according to something I read earlier.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    the thing is if Sheps goes to the Rebels he will be vieing for a Wing spot with Mitchell as they already have a handy 10/11/15 combination.
    That wasn't the question I was asking.

I wondered if I'd misread this or I had missed Mitchell signing for the Rebels

C'mon the

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast