Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Foley to head the Emirates Western Force

Veteran
    vCash

Foley to head the Emirates Western Force

RugbyWA has appointed former NSW Waratahs mentor Michael Foley to head the Emirates Western Force coaching staff for the 2013 FxPro Super Rugby season.

Foley joins the Emirates Western Force on a three-year contract from the NSW Waratahs, where he spent three seasons as Assistant Coach before taking the reins of the side for the 2012 FxPro Super Rugby season.

The 45-year-old takes over from Richard Graham, who stood down as Head Coach in April this year.

Foley, a representative in two Australian Rugby World Cup campaigns, says he’s excited about the prospect of heading the Emirates Western Force.

“This is an important period for the club and while we’re not looking to start from scratch, we’re looking to relaunch the team,” he said. “There’s no doubt the club has had a few setbacks in recent times but there are many people at the club, both on and off the field, that are very determined to see the Force successful.

“While my expectations are realistic, I’m very excited about this challenge.

“Looking from afar it’s clear to see the Force has an outstanding supporter base and we’ll be doing what we can to not only engage with the supporters, but ensure they remain proud of their team – and part of this is working towards success with our fans.

“It’s my role to set up a program that builds towards success. The coaching staff will be looking to promote an exciting brand of rugby that captures the imagination of our fans and wins games as well. To that end, we will be looking to recruit an attacking coach with a record of producing that style of game.

“I want our fans to be excited about the style of footy we’re playing and keen to be a part of the club. We need to be playing this brand of rugby to assist the club with our recruitment, retention and development, and we’ll be working hard to ensure that the Force is a club that people are proud of and where players want to play.”

The former Wallaby rake began his coaching career as Forwards Coach with UK Premiership club, Bath in 2001. After one quarter-final (2001/02) and one semi-final (2005/06) finish in the Heineken Cup, and a minor premiership and final appearance in the 2003/04 Premiership season, Foley returned to Australia to oversee the Wallabies’ set piece.

He completed three seasons with the Wallabies, including the 2007 Rugby World Cup in France, before joining the Waratahs.

His coaching followed an impressive playing career that included 63 FxPro Super Rugby and 111 state caps for Queensland, and 50 Test caps for Australia, including a starting berth in the Wallabies’ 1999 Rugby World Cup final win in Wales. He was also part of Australia’s series win over the British and Irish Lions in 2001.

“We’re very pleased to welcome Michael Foley on board to lead the Emirates Western Force for 2013 and beyond,” RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said.

“We were very impressed by the calibre of candidates we had apply for the position. It was a long process but we’re very pleased with the outcome and we’re excited about having Michael at the head of our rugby program next year.

“There’s no doubt that this is an important time for the club, and we’re looking forward to Michael taking the club forward and realising the success that our members, players and everyone involved with the club deserves.”

Name: Michael Foley
    Born: 07/06/1967
    Role: Head Coach
    Previous Coaching Roles: 2012 Head Coach – NSW Waratahs, 2009-2011 Assistant Coach – NSW Waratahs, 2006-2008 Assistant Coach – Wallabies, 2001-2006 Forwards Coach – Bath

Playing Career
    Position: Hooker
    Clubs: 1985-1999 Queensland Reds
    Honours: 1995-2001, Wallabies, 1985-1986 Australian Schoolboys

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    OK... we have a coach.

now, look at local players first. then eastern states.

Get a good attacking coach, play Good rugby, no kicks every minute.

Welcome aboard, please do u s all proud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    ..The 45-year-old takes over from Richard Graham, who WAS SACKED as Head Coach in April this year
    Fixed

This article is slightly confusing, I only skimmed it, but I dont believe it describes him as DIRECTOR of coaching, and that we still need a head coach and a backs coach as described in the The West:

"...and appointed him director of rugby...and precedes the appointment of a head coach who will have a hands-on role in a system very similar to the European style of management...The Force are also in the market for a backs coach...Former Bath coach Steve Meehan...is in the running as is the well-respected Todd Louden."

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Alleluia! An announcement from RugbyWA.. and it sounds palatable!

vCash
    WTF is he the head coach or director of coaching?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    If they call him something other than head coach they can avoid the obvious rejoinder that he's the second choice after Cheika.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    “We were very impressed by the calibre of candidates we had apply for the position. It was a long process but we’re very pleased with the outcome and we’re excited about having Michael at the head of our rugby program next year.

This was my fav part. so impressed with the candidates they didnt pick one fo them that applied.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    DAY 1

Lets give the bloke a chance, if it goes tits up after the first season, then he get's both barrels !

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post

This was my fav part. so impressed with the candidates they didnt pick one fo them that applied.
    I don't know if we ever knew who actually applied for the job. it was inconsistent media reports.

Ity says that the board was split between cheika and foley. Chieka didn't want to continue, so foley got the nod next. sounds pretty straight forward.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Chieka probably wants the Tahs job,his force application may have been a smokescreen

vCash
    The greatest satisfaction I got from all of this was seeing Kearnsey so pissed off!! Sucked in buddy!!Seems to have a different perspective on what integrity and your word means when it concerns his own interests! Karma!!!

vCash
    Well, at least a decision has been made. Any decision is better than no decision, or is my desperation getting the better of me....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    well he is going to have to earn his tripes that's for sure .. but I'm glad we now have a Coach. Whoever it was going to be, he will have to work very hard and I'm sure he knows it.

Now maybe we can all stop bitching about this, put the negative thoughts in the cupboard for a while and concentrate on building up a team, a momentum and a stadium in which to watch the win!!!

Welcome aboard Michael, you will have a baptism of fire

Edit - Word of advice, get to know the InnFORCEers, we can make it easier

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    RE if he is the head coach or not I emailed Vern Reid and got a reply pretty quickly so kudos to him but this is what it said.

The coaching structure will be determined over the course of the next few weeks. Whatever the titles Michael will be entirely responsible for the rugby programme

Regards
    Vern Reid

vCash
    Now we want either Meehan or Louden (both?? hehe) to get the backs into shape!!

So we have a head of coaching staff, Nic Stiles backs coach, Sharpie as line out consultant, fingers crossed Hodgo for captain to be announced at club dinner, Sias Ebersohn a genuine quality 10 signed for TWO years and Kyle Godwin showing he has what it takes. Onward and upward %))

Carn the Force!!

Last edited by sittingbison; 01-08-12 at 12:01.
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast