Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waikato link could deliver for Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waikato link could deliver for Force

Waikato link could deliver for Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian July 2, 2010, 6:38 am

WA News / Nic Ellis ©

Western Force coach John Mitchell's links with Waikato could have unearthed the solution to his side's playmaker problems.

Six years ago, Willie Ripia was an 18-year-old fresh out of school when he joined the New Zealand provincial side then being coached by Mitchell.

A few weeks ago, with the Force struggling to find an experienced fly-half for next season, Mitchell got on the phone to the NZ Maori and under-19 and under-21 representative, as he did last season when he made contact with David Hill, another player he had coached at Waikato.

"John gave me the call, it was a real surprise. It was exciting. We had a brief talk about where he saw me and I gave him a little talk about where I was at," Ripia said.
    The 177cm and 91kg pivot moved to the Hurricanes in 2008 where he has been behind first choice playmaker Aaron Cruden.

He is in the final season of a three-year contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union and the Taranaki province and was in Perth this week to discuss a possible move to the Force as their overseas development player.

"Getting the No. 10 jersey in a team where I would be a presence is my goal for the future," he said.

"That would be my main drive. There are other factors but it would be great to come here and play.

"It would be a great opportunity to get involved in something new, to play Super rugby in a different place."

�Force assistant and Wallabies skills coach Richard Graham is expected to be announced today as Mitchell's successor in 2012.

Graham has had stints at English clubs Bath and Saracens and played for Australia A, the Australian Sevens side and Queensland.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ver-for-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I knew this thing with the outgoing coach just going through motions while he looks for a new gig was never going to work out. Same as his guest coaching gig in ZA. He should be spending his time planning for next sason.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I knew this thing with the outgoing coach just going through motions while he looks for a new gig was never going to work out. Same as his guest coaching gig in ZA. He should be spending his time planning for next sason.
    Totally, the signing of a bench player from another team is a barnstorming success
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Oh my. Chips are showing.

vCash
    really... is that the best youve got?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    give over TOCC.the poor man's on the wagon

vCash
    on the cough syrup more like

vCash
    Please, Shasta had a snide dig at me, I'm merely returning the favor, if you don't lie this kind of chat on here then maybe you should look at Shasta for trying to stir the pot unecessarily..

Either way it doesn't bother me, I'm a big boy
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

in other news - Ripia almost certain for Force

www.thewest.com.au

The pieces to the Western Force puzzle are starting to fall into place, with Richard Graham confirmed as John Mitchell's successor and Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia almost certain to join the Perth-based franchise for the 2011 Super 15 season.

Graham, a skills coach at the Wallabies who doubles as an assistant at the Force, is to succeed Mitchell as head coach after the 2011 Rugby World Cup on a three-year deal.

Ripia has been frustrated by a lack of opportunities behind Aaron Cruden at the Hurricanes and will sign with the Force as their emerging foreign player if the Australian Rugby Union gives the go-ahead.

"The ARU needs to make an assessment that his ability is such that he could represent Australia if he stays the three years and qualifies via residency," Force chief executive Vern Reid said of the 24-year-old on Friday.

"We've spent the last two days talking to Willie and showing him around.

"He seemed to enjoy being here.

"He played very well the last three weeks for New Zealand Maori against England and Ireland.

"So he's very keen to be part of this and clearly he would be a good solution for our number 10 spot."

The Force have been unable to find a long-term five-eighth since Matt Giteau left the club at the end of 2009.

Former Springbok Andre Pretorius was signed up for the 2010 campaign but failed to play a game due to a hamstring injury, while efforts to lure Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper were thwarted by the Reds.

In other player movements, halfback James Stannard could return to the Force as back-up to Brett Sheehan in the wake of Justin Turner's serious knee injury, which could rule the 20-year-old out of action for up to 12 months.

Meanwhile, Graham scoffed at talk his transition into the head coaching role at the Force could become an awkward process.

The 37-year-old former Queensland Reds fullback and Australian sevens captain will serve another season as an assistant to Mitchell, who announced he would not seek a new contract midway through this year's injury-hit Super 14 campaign which saw the Force finish 13th.

"John was very supportive throughout the process (of the club finding his successor) and endorsed me during the process," Graham said.

"So our relationship's very strong and I can see no reason going forward why that won't continue.

"He's been very supportive, he's given me increased responsibility throughout this season and I would see us continuing along that same path next year.

"I don't think there'll be a need for a great deal of change.

"John's involved me in everything to date and going forward that'll be the same.
    "I would see certainly in terms of planning and work during the week I might have an increased role but certainly John will still be running the team."

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That'll be great. We still need a couple more backs but this looks pretty handy:

9. Sheehan
    10. Ripia
    11. Shepherd (assuming he re-signs)
    12. Staniforth
    13. Inman
    14. Cummins
    15. JOC

20. Swanepoel (assuming Turner is still injured)
    21. Fairbanks
    22. DHP

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was hoping they would announce Sheps signing today.

Maybe they are going to drag it out to the Awards Night tonight.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would be interested in Fulv's opinion on this one particularly, but I would see the return of Chukka, following the style he has played in this years Sevens and previously at Pally, as a handy Plan C option in the #10 jersey too?
    I realise that it is almost a different sport, but I have been pretty impressed with his control of the game during the last couple of carnivals as Captain.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Stannard is a more than competent 5/8, with a cool head, an excellent boot, and a top notch ability to read the game. He can tackle, and has commitment in every game he plays. I have seen better exponents in each of these facets of rugby, but seldom in all at the same time as he consistently demonstrates.

Stannard works hard on his game, but the fact he is not a universal natural has counted against him in the past. Nevertheless I would have him in my team any time as he is always consistent, focussed and working at 100%.

No show pony, this lad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Please, Shasta had a snide dig at me, I'm merely returning the favor,
    You think so? I don't spend a lot of time here these days and often don't recall who said what on past threads - goes with the age and care factors. Mine was the first comment on a new thread and I used the sarcasm thingy.

There have been a whole lot of people heaping shit on John Mitchell on here and and I have always openly been a supporter of his. My sarcastic comment was a general one.

I can give you a cast iron guarantee that I didn't have you even remotely in my sights. Care factor again.

Build a bridge TOCC.

Either way it doesn't bother me, I'm a big boy
    Sure sounds like it did.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    I think Willie will be great here.... not the pressure on him to perform out of the ordinary and will link well with JOC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast