Thread: Scott Staniforth re-signs with Force, tips Cameron Shepherd to follow suit

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Scott Staniforth re-signs with Force, tips Cameron Shepherd to follow suit

Scott Staniforth re-signs with Force, tips Cameron Shepherd to follow suit

• Justin Chadwick
    • June 30, 2010 4:55PM

BACK ON BOARD: Scott Staniforth ahas re-signed with the Western Force. Picture: Lincoln Baker Source: PerthNow

FORMER Wallabies back Scott Staniforth is confident Western Force teammate Cameron Shepherd will follow his lead and re-sign with the Perth-based franchise for the 2011 Super 15 season.

Shepherd has been tabled a new deal by the Force but is yet to sign while he weighs up an offer from the Melbourne Rebels.

But Staniforth hinted Shepherd, who has struggled to stay fit since breaking his leg and ankle while playing for the Wallabies in 2008, was more likely to stay at the Force.

"He's not too far away (from signing), from all accounts he's not too far,'' Staniforth said.

Staniforth also faced a tough decision about his future after receiving an offer from NSW Waratahs, where he started his career.

But the 32-year-old, who returned to the Force last season after a brief stint in Japan, said a number of factors led to his decision to play one more season in Perth, even though the Waratahs offer was tempting.

"Definitely with family back in Sydney and the coaching structure there (at the Waratahs) where I started out in my club football there was a strong pull there,'' Staniforth said.

"But we decided to stay.

"There was a lot of factors actually (in deciding to stay in Perth).

"There was football, family and life after rugby.

"You can't get rid of me. I tried to leave a couple of times but no, I'm having one more run around.

"I've enjoyed watching the young guys come along and being a small part of their growth.''

With Staniforth locked away and Shepherd almost across the line, the Force are still in the hunt for a classy five-eighth after Quade Cooper decided to stay at Queensland.

Hurricanes five-eighth Willie Ripia is in the mix, while the Force haven't ruled out re-signing former Springbok Andre Pretorius, who failed to play a game for the Force last season due to a hamstring injury.

Staniforth's decision to stay is a major boost for the Force, who have already lost outside centre Ryan Cross to the Waratahs.

"Sometimes people need a fresh start and that's probably what he needed,'' Staniforth said of Cross' defection.

"He probably thought he might have been going through the motions here so he wanted a fresh challenge and that's what he's taken.''

The Force finished 13th last season and Staniforth warned fans to be patient due to the number of young players in the team.

"I can see we're on the right track and in the next couple of years, I don't think we'll be in finals contention straight away but we're working towards it,'' he said.

Staniforth was aiming to play in the centres next season but said he was more than comfortable on the wing if that's where he was needed most.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rug...-1225886371944

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Onya Spanner!

Be a good boy and follow the crowd Shep

vCash
    Great News Spanner....Come on Shep you know you want to..You love the pizzas in Leederville...

Champion
    vCash
    Any news on Sheps

vCash
    Any word on Sheps today? they mentioned he was going to make a decision by friday..

Edit: doh beaten.. maybe i should read the last entry before posting next time

vCash
    JOY!!!!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    JOY!!!!!!
    Does that mean he's signed?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.